Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sidney is 9 1/2 weeks old.  She eats Canidae All Stages three times a day.  BUT she makes me think of one of those cartoon cows that is all ribs and bones.  She weighed 9.5 lbs last Saturday when I took her to the vet.   I asked him about her being so skinny and he said it is the breed?

She is VERY active and doesn't seem sickly.  She does not have worms...etc.  I am wondering if I should feed her something other than Canidae?  The vet wasn't happy with my choice of food.  He recommended Science Diet but there was Science Diet for sale in his office so I blew it off.

Sidney is my first boxer.  We had one as kids but I don't remember him being skinny !  Is this normal?  Are they on the skinny side or do you think I should consider changing her to a large breed puppy food?

Laurie

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
First hello and [email protected]

Second boxers are a very lean breed. Normally the last two ribs should be visible, no other ribs/spine/hip bones should show though. IF you could load a picture though it would make things easier to tell

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
9lbs is on the small side.  But do really know her build.   Puppies go thru weird growing stages sometimes looking gawd awful and other times little butter balls.  How many cups of canidae?   You can also add stuff like boiled chix to her kibble, cottage cheese some eggs.  These are proteins that can stick to her ribs.  

Welcome to the forum:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Canidae is a great food, kudos for ignoring the vet's choice of Science, I'm not a big fan of that unless it's totally necessary. Boxers are supposed to be lean, you want to see those ribs(the last 2). When you should be concerned is when the spine is very noticeable. Like Heather said, Boxers go thru some crazy growing streaks, so I would just add a bit of protein to the food, like she suggested..Start with very small amounts, see how she does and then add a bit more....Would love to see some pics of that little girl  :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to figure out the picture loading again and get some pics on board.  I can tell that she is growing but I swear it seems like her LEGS are the only thing growing.  She is tall with HUGE feet !!!  

I went out over the weekend and bought Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy thinking maybe Canidae just wasn't putting meat on her bones.  But she refuses to eat it.  LOL  I am thankful that I only bought the smallest bag.  She literally refused to eat until I put down the Canidae then she gobbled it up.  I am going to add some protein as suggested and see if I can fatten her up a little bit.  My husband thought it was hysterical that she was so finicky.  I literally had to drive an 45 minutes to buy the food ! He thinks a hungry dog will eat anything !!

She is such a clown !!!  I adore her and I have to say that her level of energy has been surprising.  I got her as a companion for my Weimaraner puppy and she matches the Weims level of energy perfectly.  

Thanks again for your suggestions !

Laurie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts