Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal:
My six month old has never really had super solid stool. He was diagnosed with giardia twice (hard to shake when he eats poop) and we have finished all meds. We've done a good job of disposing of fresh poo, so we doubt he reinfected himself again.

Canned foods completely run him, and kibble gives us a "soft serve" consistency. That is, solid enough to pick up in one "piece", but very wet and leaves a poo spot on the ground. He doesn't act sick (and he has been sick before, from some marrow from a bone), but we cant put very much weight on him. He's not bony, but lanky.

We've seen the vet about it a few times now with no luck. I asked about He suggested metamucil, but there hasn't been any real change, other than some vicious gas. We worried it was the food. We started with Eukanuba puppy, then moved to Canidae. From there we have gone to Merrick Wilderness (which he loves!). We made all our food changes over a seven day period. Still his stool is not very turd-like.

Help! My pup has never known the joy of a solid movement!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
This is more of a question than an answer.  Does it matter how long you have your dog wait to go poop after he eats?  It seems the longer Kane holds it after he has eaten the better formed it is.  I really don't have trouble with loose stools, and I do mix a tablespoon of pumpkin in his food once a day.  The pumpkin definitely has made a difference with both of my dogs.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome!  :)
Sorry to hear about all the troubles with your boy. After switching foods it can take a month or two to see results. You said you have changed the food over a seven day period. Is that 7 days of mixing the old and new food, or just 7 days before switching to a new food? Merrick is an excellent food, if he likes it I would keep him on it for at least 3 months and see how he does with it. You can also add one to two tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not the pie filling, just plain pumpkin in with his food. That should help firm it up. I would also get another fecal done just to rule out any problems,(if you haven't already) being that he's had giardia in the past. Good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tootsie\";p=\"26480 said:
Hi and welcome!  :)
Sorry to hear about all the troubles with your boy. After switching foods it can take a month or two to see results. You said you have changed the food over a seven day period. Is that 7 days of mixing the old and new food, or just 7 days before switching to a new food? Merrick is an excellent food, if he likes it I would keep him on it for at least 3 months and see how he does with it. You can also add one to two tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not the pie filling, just plain pumpkin in with his food. That should help firm it up. I would also get another fecal done just to rule out any problems,(if you haven't already) being that he's had giardia in the past. Good luck.
We mixed the old and new for seven days. It sounds like the pumpkin is the way to go. Another question: Is canned food just to rich for him right now? Should I try to reintroduce it when he is older?

How long before poopage
We use a bell at home, so he usually poops within an hour after eating.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Something you can try is Scinece Diet W/D formula can food.  Add jsut a bit into their regular feed and it will help firm the stools, but still keep movements going (no constipation.)  Now I am a firm believer that Science Diet is crap food, but I have seen this stuff take care of the stool issues your talking about.  A lot of vets and breeders will recommend this stuff for the very thing your asking about.

Just another option...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree with what all the others have already said.  I would have his stool checked again.  Even if you take a sample (fresh) in a bag and have them check it without him there.  There are other things that can cause loose stool worms of other kinds and coccidia....Try the pumpkin for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts