Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder knows how I feel about boxers with tails. {Love em} but I aslo want to show my puppy here in the States, anyone know of any boxers being shown with tails? Is there any health cerms? {Sorry about spelling trying to keep my head on straight.}

The litter gets tails snipped tomorrow. I need to decide by 1 tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The breeder knows how I feel about boxers with tails. {Love em} but I aslo want to show my puppy here in the States, anyone know of any boxers being shown with tails? Is there any health cerms? {Sorry about spelling trying to keep my head on straight.}

It depends on what is more important for you, a happy dog with a tail, or is the showing more important for you? You may end up with a dog that isnt show-worthy but your dog is without a tail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that if it's not showable.

Wont matter to us, we would just switch gears to flyball, agilty. My daughter who is 16 wants the puppy to be her first Jr show dog. and we want a smooshie face so it works.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Wont matter to us, we would just switch gears to flyball, agilty. My daughter who is 16 wants the puppy to be her first Jr show dog. and we want a smooshie face so it works.
Well why ask the question? It seems you have already made up your mind to have him docked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Family is split in two.

Well why ask the question? It seems you have already made up your mind to have him docked.

Husband believes that docking is cruel, and daughter says AKC says must have docked. and I want only the best for the puppy. Quess I did not make myself clear.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Wish I could meet your husband; he is already my best friend although we have never met. It is not right to dock them,

What do you mean what is best for you puppy, If he could talk he would probably tell you what is best form him. If you really do want the best for him, then leave him the way he is.

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
If you are planning to show conformation then the tail should be docked. I personally prefer the look of a docked boxer however, I also prefer natural ears.

So I take it you have already chosen your puppy and they are less than 4 days old? How do you know at such an early age that your dog will be of show quality?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Go with the TAIL! I sooo wish Aspen had a tail! I agree with your husband that it isn't necessary to dock tails. It's lucky you have a breeder that allows you the choice.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Wish I could meet your husband; he is already my best friend although we have never met. It is not right to dock them,

What do you mean what is best for you puppy, If he could talk he would probably tell you what is best form him. If you really do want the best for him, then leave him the way he is.

Ditto :)

Bosley doesn't have his ears cropped, nor did he have his dewclaws removed. I soo wish he had his tail, he would look so much better with it! I say keep the tail; it's supposed to be there anyways.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow, I didn't know so many on here liked the tails better then the docked. I personaly like the docked tails to me that makes it a boxer, but I know they are still a boxer with a tail. Chew has a docked tail, floppy ears and he does has his dew claw although I wished he did not as it hurts when he jumps up on you. Mugzee came with the docked tail, floppy ears and dew claw removed. I do love all boxers but giving the chose, I would have the docked tail. Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Personally it would all depend on if it is an american boxer or import. If american, I would have the puppy docked and cropped if you plan on showing in AKC conformation..Undocked can be penalized severley in the AKC show ring.

However, if you are importing that is a different case.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Wow, I didn't know so many on here liked the tails better then the docked. I personaly like the docked tails to me that makes it a boxer, but I know they are still a boxer with a tail. Chew has a docked tail, floppy ears and he does has his dew claw although I wished he did not as it hurts when he jumps up on you. Mugzee came with the docked tail, floppy ears and dew claw removed. I do love all boxers but giving the chose, I would have the docked tail. Just my 2 cents..
It's not that I necessarily like the way a tail looks better than the way a docked tail looks, it's just that I think it's wrong to cut off their body parts in order to make them look a certain way. I don't think this is the popular opinion though!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I personally like the look of the tails docked, and in turn, you get that "whole body wiggle" that much more accentuated than one with a tail. As far as showing though, like others have said, if your daughter wants to be successful and show him in the Jr. Ring, the tail being left undocked will be a severe penalty and he risks the chance of not ever placing in a show. I don't think a boxer with a tail has ever won in the AKC show ring. As far as whats best for him...like Quando said, I think he would tell you, but he probably would not want it cut off. And like someone else asked...with the pups being only 3 days old...how do you know your pup will be a good show prospect or has the potential body type/structure to be a show dog?

·
Registered
620 Posts

I personally love the TAIL!!! My boy has his :) But by AKC standards it does need snipped! :(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Im in favor of tails!! I think Lucy is beautiful with her tail. If a dog is only going to be The pet of the family, is there really a reason then to dock the tail? Can you do obedience and agility in the AKC shows if they have a tail?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like the tail.. hence Hudson having his tail... you can still show the dog with the natural tail ... the dog would just do better in International Standard based shows.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts