Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Maybe take them to neutral territory. You just brought home another dog in Tinks territory. I think first time meetings are always better when they aren't on neithers territories.
She will come around and realize that this little guy isn't going anywhere.  :eek:  Good Luck....let us know how they progress.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Updates????  :eh:   What happened last night with them?  :|

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh Lord, I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of reaction....A bit territorial, yes, but not that!!! I'm at a loss as what to do, other than give it some time and see if Tink comes around..Is she an Alpha? I'm wondering if she senses the puppy as being another Alpha, but I may be way off base here...I'm sorry, I wish I had better advice....Hoping it gets better and please keep us posted....Hector is such a cutie too  :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Put that puppy in the kennel while in the house and let the older dog get to know Hector that way.  You can give them both time to bond and sniff each other.  Always honor the older dog when feeding etc as getting theirs first.  You will have to help the puppy understand this in ways that you have control.  Example;  put puppy in the kennel and feed Tink his dish.  Then give puppy his.  You should be able to work thru this.  It is always better to have meet on nuetral territory.  Your dog had probably been to your friends house before and assumes that is also his territory.  I always take my older dog with when I pick up the "interloper" and put the new addition in a travelling kennel and they get to bond on the way home.  Boxers have that jealous bone in them........

Hope all is going better by now.  Please feel free to email me if you need any more advice or have problems.

Nano

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"5147":u3o1ilp4]Maybe take them to neutral territory. You just brought home another dog in Tinks territory. I think first time meetings are always better when they aren't on neithers territories.
She will come around and realize that this little guy isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We had that problem with the first "2nd" dog we tried to bring in...unfortunately it really didn't work out but partially bc the 2nd was an older male...the fact that the clearly dominent older male was trying to get at a female puppy wasn't a good sign, specially when the female was the first one living in the house...at that point he was merely a guest...he got himself so worked up his nose was gushing blood. one thing we did though that made them a bit more at ease (before he went back to the rescue) was to crate them both...starting at 5 feet away and gradually move the crates closer. Swap their toys occassaionally so they get to know the smell. A rescue person also said to babygate them on opposite sides so they smell each other through the gate, but a babygate would have done nothing for this particular male (i think he just wasn't meant to be with another dog). We also walked them outside but opposite sides of the street to...just do what you can to make their smells familiar to each other..maybe also give Tink the opportunity to get some good butt sniffing in so she can learn that he's a puppy and no threat. Good  luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
maybe tink needs a lot of excercise to get some of that pent up energy out. Take tink out for a long walk and off leash excercise session. It is a lot easier to introduce dogs after a nice energy draining day.Is she normal with other dogs or just this one you brought into your house there are a lot of factors that can contribute to this problem but can be solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts