Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I guess maybe this was a bad idea but today my dog took an antibiotic,took his first spoon of yogurt and his first spoon of pumpkin.Wow does he have the squirts.The yogurt is plain yogurt which I gave 1 teaspoon.The pumpkin is 100% and I also gave him 1 teaspoon of this.The antibiotic was a left over from an ear infection.Will the yogurt give the runs?Was it a combination of the 3?Its bad enough that you can hear it come out.Tomorrow I am not going to give him anything but his food and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am not sure what caused the runs, but yo should always introduce one new food at a time.  Also, it is not a good idea to "save" antibiotics that are left over and reuse them.  Antibiotics should be taken until finished and then if there is any left thrown away.  Infections can be come resistant to antibiotics if not used properly.  (Sorry, I'm a nurse and I can't help it)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You have a number of things going on there.  First what are the antibiotics for?  Second, pumpkin is fiber and usually firms up the stool, and third yogurt is a probiotic and probably shouldn't be given at the same time as the antibiotic, but after you are finished giving the antibiotics to restore a healthy digestive system.  Your puppy may be reacting to one or all of the above.  Have you had a stool sample run to rule own parasites, or changed his food?  I agree with RainBosmom that it is important to finish giving all the antibiotics given and not start and stop them so a resistant strain of bacteria doesn't develo.  I've also read that it isn't recommended to fast a young puppy - it may be better to feed him a bland diet of rice and chicken for a day or two until the diarreah gets under control.  Additionally, if it is that severe, you will really need to watch that he doesn't dehydrate.  You can freeze Gatorade in ice cube trays to help keep him hydrated and there is a stickey - "what to have for a new puppy" - that gives the dosage for over the counter anti-diarreah medications you can also give.  Hope he gets feeling better soon - keep us posted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was put on the antibiotics on his first vet visit which was 2 weeks ago.He was supposed to take 1/2 a pill a day.I stopped giving them to him 2 days ago and after thinking about it I started giving them to him again today.So he was only off them for 1 day.I just figured I better keep giving the antibiotics until they are gone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he is 11 weeks.He didnt act any different all day.he was the same as he acts everyday just with the squirts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah and btw....he was 10 weeks in the pic.i think i read a post where bo was around 7 or 8 weeks.trust me Jake has doubled in size in the last 2 weeks(maybe not double but pretty close)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Some days I think that the wind can blow wrong and boxers will get loose stool.  They just have stomachs with a temper.

I would have to say to finish the med's and not give the other stuff.  Just his normal food until things calm down. You want to make sure to rule out any parasites, food changes, ate something not suppose to (table food, new treats, something on the ground or grass)

Certain antibiotics would/can cause loose stool (clavamox, cephalexin, amoxicillin) so maybe the stopping and starting could do it, but I find that less since you only missed a day.....Then of course there are virus situations is your pup current on shots?.....

If he starts vomiting along with the water stool, does not want to eat then I would go have him checked.  I would have him checked if it does not stop within 48 hours.  There are just to many things that can cause the squirts :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of my boys, Bacio, really doesn't handle cow milk in any form very well. Yogurt almost always gives him the runs. My other dog could eat just about anything and feel fine later (except for those heinous farts). I think your plan is a good one - just his food and water until the runs pass!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Jake..Like Sharon said tho, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why they get the runs, but I'd go back to basics, just finish the meds first, then try adding a bit of yogurt, wait and see how he does, before adding anything new...Some boxers and Angel is one have really delicate digestive systems and can't handle a lot of "new things" at one time..I went real slow with adding things to her food and it's still trial and error..Samson is iron stomach, nothing bothers him and I tend to forget that all boxers are not like him  :) ...Hoping Jake gets to feeling better real soon, keep us posted...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts