Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Tango has gone nuts.  I don't know if it's teething or what, but I can't take it anymore.  He is leaving gauges in my hands from his teeth and it's unacceptable.

I put him on a leash so I have more control, then he attacks my feet, legs and pants.  I put him in time out, but I can't leave him there all day!  I give him toys, I ignore him, give him ice cubes, nothing helps.

He was fine, and then all of a sudden this past week he's starting worse than ever.

Yesterday my mom was babysitting and she bent down to pick something up and he jumped on her head and left a big cut on her forehead that was bleeding.

Any advice before we go crazy?!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You can always do the sour apple spray on your hands and feet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would suggest getting a muzzle and anytime he starts biting, put it on him and tell him, "NO!  NO biting!"  Then wait about 15 minutes, take if off, and if he does it again, start all over, until he realizes NO biting, means No biting.  When he listens, reward him.  I'm not sure if it will work for sure, as I have always taken in rescued animals that are older.  I am having somewhat of the same deal with our newly acquired chihuahua that's 7 years old.  We have pretty much taken care of the biting, but now it's the growling, which is getting better since he's been neutered and is receiving the same training that I just shared with you.  I think it'd be worth a shot. Other than that, I'd say call a trainer.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Elyse is 2 months old and she bites a lot..I have started to make a growling noise that is mixed with no when she starts to bite..she immediately stops and sits and looks at me real funny..if she starts right back I put her on her back and hold her there until she stops squirming around and tell her no biting..when i let her up i give her a toy she is allowed to chew on..she has gotten better.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hes still a baby..only 4 months..hes in that insane play stage lol drives everyone nuts...id try to wear him out more..whatever he likes best..run him ragged...until hes too tired to move
of course the firm NO when he bites ..they all do it..and it HURTS !!!!

hes just in super play mode all the time...maybe a play friend? to really wear himm out?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Wow, I just signed on to ask the same question! Brodi is going thru the same thing as Tango. He bit me in my arm just now leaving a good size bruise. He will even chew on things I spray down with bitter apple! Time outs, ignoring, frozen wash cloths & carrots, yelping are all things we tried and it's not helping. Thank you so much for asking this cause I'm getting desperate here!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least I'm not the only one!  I think Ky is right, just super play mode.  Like my b/f says too, he doesn't see me all day and then goes crazy for attention, but it hurts and it really, really gets frustrating!!  Then I don't want to play with him because he bites too much. I'm going to try tiring him out.  I'm about to take him for a long walk....

Do they calm out at all?!  Any light ahead of us?  LOL...   :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Check out the post "biting, biting, biting"  I shared info on my tactic to stop this behavior.  It's my story and I'm still stickin too it.......

If you have any further questions about my post to this pm me.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Mimic a mother's behavior. A growl. And don't tolerate ANY biting. They have to learn biting hurts. Their litter mates would yelp and bite back. They make the connection.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've already started working on this with Flick, yea those little teeth can hurt!! When he bites, I yelp, if he persists, I get up, when he calms and licks, he gets praised...But they do go thru that "wild" stage and it's almost like you have to start all over again with training

1 - 11 of 11 Posts