Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm new to the site and was hoping for a little advice or guidance on locating a reputable breeder within 100 - 125 miles of Suffolk county Long Island. I could also use some help with what to ask for health wise and what to look for in terms of a breeder.

Generally from what I've read so far I should be asking for health records on the parents as pertains to hips, heart murmur and ARVC? That the puppies should be checked for a murmur using an ECG? I'm interested in being able to drive there and meet the parents, see the living conditions, meet any potential puppies when they're available, get to know the breeder and have them get to know me. Basically, I don't want to buy a puppy on the internet and never speak to the breeder again.

It's been about eight years since we had a puppy in our home and admittedly our lives have changed. I hated crate training our dogs and was wondering what people though about cordoning off an entire room with say a baby gate? I was also hoping to bump our dog walker up to two walks a day while we are at work which is about 8 AM - 6:30 PM; any thoughts on that? I'm also concerned about how one or two new boxer pups will effect our 10 year old non-boxer dog. How do people feel about two at a time? I see pros to taking on litter mates, but also pros to developing a relationship with one first and staggering the second by 6 months/a year.

Not looking for anything right away; just trying to do my homework. I had written this, probably, three page post explaining our circumstances in more detail, but the post didn't go through and I lost all the text. In short we lost our eight year old boy Oscar and it has been to say the least devastating. I'm guessing it was ARVC since he just collapsed on me two weeks ago and died after having shown no other symptoms of anything. He was short of my wife my very best friend.

After having read posts on this site I decided to join b/c everyone seems pretty supportive. I apologize if some of my questions are naïve I could just really use some guidance/help even if it's just to tell me I'm insane to take on one or two puppies with a fairly long work day, two young kids and all the trappings of home/life. I will say that I am fully committed to our pets and giving them the best life possible has always been at the forefront of my mind.

For reference I talked with the folks at Pheasant Hollow and really liked them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts