Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Boxer is 10 weeks old and i'm having a problem getting him to go into his crate. During the day I leave his Food & Water in his crate so he goes in it to eat & drink. However I always took his food 7 warter out 2 hours before bed time.

When Bucky (Dogs name) goes into his crate on his own I ALWAYS tell him GOOD HOME and give him a treat.

When it's bed time I have to CARRY him into his crate  :cry:  I don't mind to carry him now because he is small but I wont be able to carry him when he becomes 80+ pounds. He don't cry once I lock him into the crate.

Any tips on getting him to go into the crate when it's bed time on his own while he still a baby?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
try throwing a treat or two in the crate and see if that draws him in... without having to carry him

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I have an 11 week old boxer who I make walk to his crate. I have always been told to not put food or water in his crate (they will be able to eat so they will have to potty... it can also spill and make the crate messy which they dont like). But I too am a new boxer mom, so I always say I dont feel comfortable giving out advice.  We are beyond the picking up point because as you said when he gets to be 80+lbs I wont be able to just pick him up. I treat him every time we go in the crate, and I say night night. So now when it's time to go in the bed I say "come tucker, night night" and he gets up and trots right into my room he cant wait for that treat he knows he's about to get! When I say night night he does not know that means I want him to sleep, he just knows it means its time to go to his little house.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote="BxrLv22\";p=\"57150":3pyl4ygq]Hello and welcome!

I have an 11 week old boxer who I make walk to his crate. I have always been told to not put food or water in his crate (they will be able to eat so they will have to potty... it can also spill and make the crate messy which they dont like). But I too am a new boxer mom, so I always say I dont feel comfortable giving out advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts