Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm here because we recently had to put our friend down and I am not handling it very well. My bf's boxer was about 8, and was the center of his universe. They were truly the best of friends. He rescued him 7 years ago, and he was there to see him through some of the roughest times in his life. Even though I didn't know him as long as my bf had, I still feel heartbroken because he truly was a saint.

The other morning we woke up to what sounded like someone trying to kick in our door. We jumped out of bed and when we turned on the light we found him seizing severely, and the noise had been his head hitting the door. He had never had a seizure before, but my guess is that it had been going on throughout the night because he had gotten sick and used the bathroom in the house--something he'd never do. The nearest 24 hr vet was too far, so we bad to wait until a nearby one opened at 8am. In the meantime he continued to seize and in between, he foamed at the mouth and appeared to be both deaf and blind. He was unable to respond to us at all. We were crying and screaming in panic because we felt so helpless and there was the fear that we would lose him. At the vet, they gave him drugs to sedate him and stop the seizures, but advised that it would be 4000 to diagnose what was wrong, and who knows how much to attempt to fix it if it was something manageable. They gave us our options, but based on the symptoms and severity it appeared to be brain tumors. At no point during the ordeal did he return to his normal self. There were never any signs he would come to, outside of staggering blindly and foaming. There had to be brain damage. The hope was for him to wake up when the meds wore off and show some sign that he was still in there. As they wore off, he went right back into seizing and the only choice was to put him down.

His absence is painful, but because I wasn't in the room when he took his final breath, I just tell myself that he's visiting his grandma and will be back. The thing that haunts me is the images of him seizing and looking so afraid not being able to see or respond to us. It's as if he was snatched from us without us being able to say goodbye to the dog we knew. It doesn't help that it wss the day after bf's 30th bday. He was perfectly fine one day and then the next, he's gone. It just hurts and while I keep my composure around my bf, (I don't want him to worry about anything on top of all this) the images tear at me when I'm on my own to process everything. I feel robbed, so I know my bf feels 10x as sad. I expected dogs to simply go in their sleep at a certain age. Losing him the way we did just eats at me. Advice and prayers needed. I don't want to bring it up to my bf and ruin any progress he is making as we grieve.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am crying with you and praying with you. I know it's extremely hard..........Be strong, he was loved and you offered him a wonderful life.........The words are not enough to tell you how much sorry I am for your loss

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am crying with you and praying with you. I know it's extremely hard..........Be strong, he was loved and you offered him a wonderful life.........The words are not enough to tell you how much sorry I am for your loss

Those words were comforting to me. It been 18 months but I still miss my first boxer

·
Registered
132 Posts
So very sorry for your loss. I hope that you and your bf can comfort each other. With such a traumatic event, you can help each other heal. Because of both of you, he was loved, cherished, and lived a wonderful life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had to put my 9 year old boxer to sleep and the only thing that ever makes me feel better is that
1 he is not hurting anymore
2 he knows I loved him with all my heart as I know he did also
3 I see him running in huge fields playing with other boxers not tied up in a kennel waiting for momma to come home.

Find the good memories, pull out pictures of him doing goofy things, and if it helps, when it’s the right time, get another one. We waited about 3 months before we finally got Thor. I’m so sorry for yalls loss.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I read you post, I cried for you. We had to do the same thing with our sweet 5 year old girl 2 months ago and it was also a very quick traumatic illness. The only thing that keeps us sane during these months is the thought that we stopped her pain. I try to think about how lucky we were to have her for those 5 years and that we kept her happy and safe until the end. We can't bring them back but we can cherish every moment we had with them. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. We really loved him very much and you really couldn't ask for a better dog. He had a heart of gold and everyone misses him terribly.

While we were at the vet, a stranger in the lobby overheard what was going on and anonymously covered the vet bill/fees to euthanize and cremate. My bf wants to pay it forward for others who find themselves in a similar position. He has set up a gofundme acct with the animal hospital's permission to raise funds that the vet's office will only apply towards assisting others with the costs associated with this difficult decision. I know it's the holiday season and everyone is busy with last minute shopping and preparation. But if anyone has a chance to share his cause via social media, we would greatly appreciate it. https://www.gofundme.com/the-esco-friendship-fund

Thank you all again

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. We lost Mac when he was two quite out of the blue as well. I know how hard it is especially at this time of year. Like other have said he knows that he was loved and you gave him the best life possible. The pictures you posted our beautiful. Comforting thought are being sent your way!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful dog and I'm sure he knew how very much you both loved him. I hope the wonderful memories you have of him help both of you get through this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so sorry for your loss. We lost Mac when he was two quite out of the blue as well. I know how hard it is especially at this time of year. Like other have said he knows that he was loved and you gave him the best life possible. The pictures you posted our beautiful. Comforting thought are being sent your way!
Thank you and I'm sorry to hear about Mac. Whether it's many years or just a few months, boxers will come into your life and make you wonder how you got along without them. It's hard, but it's getting easier the more we talk about the good times and look at pictures of him doing silly things 💓

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful dog and I'm sure he knew how very much you both loved him. I hope the wonderful memories you have of him help both of you get through this.
Thank you. It really has helped looking through his pictures and seeing how happy he always was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have now watched two boxers die naturally in front of my eyes. It was not a sudden event in either case. The helplessness you feel. The look you get from them in those final moments, like do something, and nothing you can do but be there.
Have also had to let one go at the vet, that was harder, to decide, to make that final decision. My thoughts are with you. This too will pass in time. Circle of life.
We move on, in our case the puppy comes home on boxing day and we will start a new relationship with memories of those in the past to guide our way.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Late getting to this ... sorry. You have my deepest sympathy. :(

It's always hard to lose one's buddy in any case. But this was a very, very hard loss to endure. Hope your better half is doing somewhat better now??? But a loss like this can add an additional layer of "trauma for the human caretaker." PTSD, is a thing and all it takes is "trauma" ie "replaying an event" over and over in your head, one get's "Stuck" and can't move on.

If he is, replaying, this loss, over and over in his head??? Then seek some outside console.The first pain of loss should lessen in a week or two??? If it does not, then seek some help for him. Been there done that with the loss of my second puppy Stewie, (Boxer/APBT) it was not good and it took me literally "years to recover!"

That said ... maybe the words my "Struddell" said to me may help.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/rainbow-bridge/127233-goodbye-baby-girl-struddell-11-25-2013-a.html

And again sorry for your loss, take care.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Late getting to this ... sorry. You have my deepest sympathy. :(

It's always hard to lose one's buddy in any case. But this was a very, very hard loss to endure. Hope your better half is doing somewhat better now??? But a loss like this can add an additional layer of "trauma for the human caretaker." PTSD, is a thing and all it takes is "trauma" ie "replaying an event" over and over in your head, one get's "Stuck" and can't move on.

If he is, replaying, this loss, over and over in his head??? Then seek some outside console.The first pain of loss should lessen in a week or two??? If it does not, then seek some help for him. Been there done that with the loss of my second puppy Stewie, (Boxer/APBT) it was not good and it took me literally "years to recover!"

That said ... maybe the words my "Struddell" said to me may help.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/rainbow-bridge/127233-goodbye-baby-girl-struddell-11-25-2013-a.html

And again sorry for your loss, take care.

Beautiful. My daughter bought me a picture holder that said - You will always be favorite hello and my hardest goodbye.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Thank You, it was written thru tears at the time ... but still not as bad as it was when I had to make the finally call, as the OP's experience.

There was no traumatic ending, with my Struddell. DM claimed Struddell ultimately. I had lots of time to come to grips with the "end is nye," as the saying goes. It was an inevitable loss, but it was not trauma inducing, I had lot's of time to come to terms, with inevitable loss. :(

But the loss the OP endured, put's him right in the cross hairs of "PTSD!" Been there done that, and without help it can be very difficult to recover!

If the OP, keeps replaying this loss "over and over in there head, without end??" Then they need to seek help! Been there done that not a lot of fun. :(

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Beautiful. My daughter bought me a picture holder that said - You will always be favorite hello and my hardest goodbye.

Thank you and yes, I keep getting flack from family and friends that say ... "finding another dog" is not that hard??? Lower your standards "White Boxer and a girl" is a bit to much. Lot's of dogs out there in need of a home.

I'd always hoped I'd just" stumble on a dog in need" on a walk or going to work (again.) But that has not happened lately and without Rocky ... I no longer walk our local neighborhood.

Most likely I will foster, so back to Boxers and Buddies and I see now I can specify a "Boxer" as a rescue. So perhaps yet again the dog I need not necessarily the dog I want, will be delivered to my door. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thank you and yes, I keep getting flack from family and friends that say ... "finding another dog" is not that hard??? Lower your standards "White Boxer and a girl" is a bit to much. Lot's of dogs out there in need of a home.

I'd always hoped I'd just" stumble on a dog in need" on a walk or going to work (again.) But that has not happened lately and without Rocky ... I no longer walk our local neighborhood.

Most likely I will foster, so back to Boxers and Buddies and I see now I can specify a "Boxer" as a rescue. So perhaps yet again the dog I need not necessarily the dog I want, will be delivered to my door. :)

Chip
I hope you find the one again. I decided that I would get a brindle boxer. I just couldn’t bear the reminder of my guy, Edgar. I investigated fostering but hubby knew I would never say goodbye. I tried the rescue and they wanted me to sign a contact the dog would never be off leash only tied or fenced in. I live in the country and have five acres. I found a brindle boy picture 3 hours away in a very small town. Next, I found out the pup had a local connection to friends in our small town. I felt it was meant to be. Emmett is a joy and eases the pain. He entered my life at the right time. He is not the replacement - just my next guy to love and get that unconditional love in return. I believe things happen when they should

1 - 20 of 23 Posts