Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Harley has never really been a "bad" puppy just a very hyperactive healthy NORMAL pup
well i found out today that the puppy classes i signed him up on are still 4 months away, and im needing to start training him NOW
he is still not wanting to mind no matter how many treats i give him for his good behavior. ive started trying to teach him how to walk on a lesh and stay by my side... (NOT WORKING) i took the advise of a trainer and used a training collar and when on him he does WONDERFUL in sit..stay.. but not in walking.. he freaks out starts to yelp very loudly like im killing him. he starts trying to bite the lead and collar anything he can bite really... he takes his paws around the lead and falls to the ground yelping.. and i know im not hurting him because today i watched him do it to my ex hubby who's trying to help me out with this.. and the dang collar was completely loose on his neck.. i couldnt believe it he was acting like he was being killed

i honestly dont know where to begin here.. i feel like throwing up my hands and giving up.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
give me ideas on where to beging to train harley, how do i teach him to mind me and walk on lead and be able to take him for more walks than just one after the neighbors are in bed (they complain becuase he yelps so loudly)

i was wanting another boxer for him but after this weeks events and all the dead ends ive been running into i know its not a good idea and i have put the new fur child off until i can get harley on the right track

okay im sorry im going on and on.. but im just flabergasted here.. i dont know what to do :(

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
How old is he?  

For pups that hate the leash, people usually recommend putting the leash on in the house and have them drag it around for a while.  The idea is eventually they'll just get used to it.  I never really had that much of a problem with my boy, but he does like to bite the leash from time to time.  But once we get into walk mode, he's fine.  It took a lot of walks to get him to learn to walk properly and not pull.  We're talking months.  So if your puppy is really young, I wouldn't worry about daily walks....just get him used to the leash by having him wear it more often.  If he freaks out, well fine.  He can roll around and freak out all he wants.  You can't give in.  If you just give up, you are rewarding his bad behavior.  He's going to learn to do that anytime you make him do something he doesn't want to do.  Once you get past that initial protesting and refusal, he will give up and you will be in control.  It may take weeks to get it right though.  Just hang in there and be consistent.  

Btw I like the martingale collars for training.  They restrict but don't choke when used properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Bucky just turned 3 months old on Sunday. I took him for walks on his own and I had the same problem for a few days in a row. Then I took my 11 year old Simba for a walk and Bucky went and picked up his own leash because he wanted to come along. Ever since that day Bucky is now walking NICELY with the leash.

Their were times when Bucky got me VERY MAD and I just picked him up and carried him home :evil:

I think Bucky learned how to go for walk with Simba.

Do you have an older dog your Harley could learn from?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
harley was born on sep. 1st of this year sooo that makes him.. 4 months old... i counted weeks on the calander and its like 17 weeks.

and its not that he hates the lesh.. he walks on the lead fine as long as he is in control.. its when i want him to follow me or walk by me that he does this. ive had to litterally drag him home once.. he is to heavy for me to pick up.. he already weighs 45-50 pounds and at 17 weeks.. so he's going to be way to big for me to drag home forever....

·
Registered
839 Posts
My Harley doesn't like to walk on the leash either. When we got Dozer, he settled down a lot! I agree, it helps to have an older dog for them to learn from.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Short of an older dog around, you just have to keep at it.  Oggie wouldn't walk either.  I had to carry him home halfway in many a times.  I found that if I took him to a cool area like a forest path or something with less distractions, he was better at walking.  When I walked him on the roads near my house, too many people and cars just made him nervous.  Just keep at it, try to different places to walk him, and don't give in.  It really did take weeks of daily walks to get him to learn to walk.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First you have to establish "who is the boss" and it's definitely not Harley, contrary to what he would like to think...Your frustrations get transmitted thru that lead, so take a deep breath, count to 10 and start again....If he starts to act up, take a quick time out, put him in a sit, wait a minute, then start again, if he acts up, do the same thing again...No, you won't get very far as far as walking, but at his age I wouldn't wory about that. Your main goal is to teach Harley to accept the lead. I would definitely let him wear it around the house for a bit. Then every day, a couple times a day, take him outside and practice walking...Even if he takes 5 steps perfect, praise him like crazy, then try for 10 steps, and so on and so on....I'd also check into using a Martingale rather than a training collar too

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took the chain collar off of harley on our last potty break.. and instead replaced it with a nylon training collar.. BIG DIFFRENCE.. he did get scared once and tried to play the same "i dont wanna do it" act..  but quickly corrected himself and walked great.. we were only out for a potty break (20 min or so) and i only had to pull on the lead once or twice.. he walked great.. not perfect by far.. but i wasnt dragging him around either.. he walked on either side of me..

btw-what is a Martingale ????

and do i need to keep him on my LEFT side or does it matter since he wont be showed or anything?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts