Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a boxer from the SPCA last week.  He is a little over a year old.  He never barks, doesnt jump on people and is just a calm great dog.  Of course I didnt get the perfect dog because he poops on my floor.  We are trying to crate train him.  We take him out immediately after we get home and let him go.   Sometimes he just decides it ok to poop in the middle of the floor.  He never goes in his crate.  He has been in there for 9 hours and not pooped in there. Does anybody have any advise on how to get him to stop.  I hate having him in the crate when we are home and at night but, I am not seeing any other option.  

Frustraded w/ poop.....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You need to start house training him as if he were a puppy.  There are lots of articles on the subject, but for starters- take him out regularly I would say at least every hour when you are home.  Also take him out after meals and when he wakes up from naps- these are usually times they need to potty.  Lucky for you that, unlike a puppy he has the bladder/bowel control to hold it, you just have to let him know where to do it!
also, there is nothing you can do about the pooping unless you physically see it happening- in that case clap your hands or something to try and get him to stop, then clip on a leash and take him outside.  If you don't see it happen, even if its seconds later- there is nothing you can do.  any punishment or correction will be lost on him.  Dogs just won't connect it to something they did earlier.  Use a pet cleaner like Nature's Miracle that will break down the smells and so he won't return to the same area after cleaning.
Also keep him on a leash and attach it to your belt, then he cannot sneak into another room to potty.  You will be able to see the signs of him needing to go (sniffing the ground, circling, squatting).
Good luck!

Oh, Welcome to BF and congratulations on your new boxer! and thanks for rescuing a life that needed a home :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I agree with all of the suggestions and have seen them recommended in many of the posts on potty training.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
One other thing that may help, when you clean up the mess, take it outside where you want him to go, and leave it there..Next time you go out, take him to "that spot"..Keeping him on a lead inside will really help as well  :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am curious as to why keeping a dog on a lead inside helps with anything? I have seen that suggested here a number of times, but I do not understand why.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
because if you're attaching the leash to your belt, where is the dog always going to be? Right at your side. You will see if he starts circling to go poop, so you can immediately correct him, and run him out. and if your eyes are never off him. there will never be an accident!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's a great thing to do, especially with puppies...I also had a big bolt put on the side of my cabinet so I could tether Angel to it when I was in kitchen, easy way to keep an eye on her  :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts