Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my husband and i adopted a 1 year old boxer.  her name is Madeline and she is a delight...except when we leave her.  i know they don't like to be away from us but we do have to go to work!  ;)

so, we have had her a month and in the beginning i wanted to start the kennel for when we leave the house; not for bed and not for potty training as she is already housebroken.  mostly so she wouldn't destroy the house and torment the cat when we go to work.  the hubby didn't like the idea at all because, i think he feels it's more of a punishment thing.  plus, as he constantly reminds me, he "never kept their family dogs in kennels."  neither did we but both of our moms were around during the day so it's didn't really matter.

well, what we have been doing is put her in the kitchen (which is a good size) and close all the doors.  we leave her with her food and water, a nylon bone, her toys and her bed.  and we proof the kitchen by moving anything that she can get to out of reach.  regardless, when we get home she's knocked over her water and drenched the floor, the rug and usually her bed and scratched the doors and somethimes has managed to pull something down (she recently tore the wall phone off the wall and chewed the cords).  yesterday was the final straw for me.  when i got home she had turned over the metal trashcan (pryed the lid open and strewn garbage all over.  we also have a counter and cabinet island thing that sits against the wall.  well, apparently (or should i say, she discovered) the counter is not secured to the cabinets and she somehow managed to move it slightly; the countertop was sitting (with the small appliances on it!!) at about a 45 degree angle from the cabiniet unit.  

i was furious since she could have really hurt herself if it had fallen all the way off.

so, i need help trying to either A) convince the hubby of the kennel or B) figure out a way to keep her from doing this every day and C) if we do the kennel, get advice on how to introduce it to her now (after a month without it) in a way that she doesn't think its punishment.  Help!!  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We keep both of our girls kenneld when not at home. Mostly because Reese is 7 months and not completley housebroken, and Savannah has anxiety issues so if left outside the kennel even though she IS housebroken she will pee or poo. My girls love the kennel though, they will go into it while i am home and just sleep. It could be that madeline has anxiety as well, this is common in boxers, and that is why she is doing all the things she has done so far. Also she is still young so even though a toy and bone are left she

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My dogs are not crated and that is by choice.  To do it over again, I would def. crate.  We used the crates if we are in a hotel room or at a show and they need to stay behind.   Like at the ABC in may, Hanna had to stay in the crate while we were not with her in the hotel room.

However we both work, and we also pay for dog walkers, daycare and in the summer we have a fulltime dog caretaker.   Yes it does not come cheap, but neither does my house and furniture!   So they are NEVER alone for more than three hours at a time.    

When I leave in the morning, I hide treat everywhere dog safe and fill their Kongs.  That keeps them entertained as well as put on classical music to give them noise.  The like Beethoven the best.

However they are sooo good and are not destructive dogs.  Hanna as a puppy never ruined anything except maybe chewing a corner of a coffee table..Kash is the same way.  However, leave a magazine laying around and you can come home to a ticker tape parade.

If you have the time and patients, then def. crate.  Its a hell of a lot safer in the end esp if you do not have the help to take care of them:)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also want to add about an outdoor kennel if you are talking about one, is that to me they are unsafe.  If some insect stings your dog, and no one is there what can you do???  Stinks can be fatal!

Also what if someone knows they are in the kennel and tries to steal them?   I know it sounds weird, but people can amaze you.  

Maybe look into a dog walker?  and I do recomment like before the crate.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that a crate is the way to go.  Since I agree with pretty much all the suggestions Chloesmom said I am not going to re-type them.  
A kennel is not a punishment to a dog unless you make it that.  Such as yelling at them or spanking them and putting them in the kennel.

It is much safer and will save some major issues around the house.  She would adapt to being placed in one.  After she crys and pitches her fit at first, but you will be at work so you wont be there to hear it or respond to it.

Fiona also loves her kennel, will go when told to kennel and will go and get in it to sleep with the door open.  It is a safe haven for them.  Like if you have a party or alot of people over and need somewhere to put her either from her being scared or for lack of a better word all over people.

It is a good thing.  Just talk to your hubby about that maybe let him read this article or print it out for him.

http://canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html#Older

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I had never crated before til I got Samson and only did as his foster mom advised me it would be good to use at first. Boy, am I glad I did! Samson suffers from separation anxiety and that is what it sounds like you are going thru as well. Marq had also never crated any of his dogs and wasn't real thrilled when I had to crate Samson, but after awhile he understood that it really isn't a bad thing. You want to keep your babies safe, that is the bottom line, a crate is not a punishment. Try some of the suggestions that Hanna gave, I would also try leaving a radio playing low, like on a jazz station or something. Samson did eventually get over his anxiety, but when we moved, I had to start all over again. He has this enormous fear that we are not going to come back, which was another reason for getting a second boxer, he doesn't freak out anymore with Angel here... :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all for the great advice; it all seems to drive home my opinion.  i am hoping to get a crate today or tomorrow (unless the hubby throws a fit) and take advantage of the long holiday weekend to get her used to it.  i will definitely keep you all posted.

yesterday she moved the fridge slightly away from the wall...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Can you compromise possibly with an excercise pen or a gated off area? Abby is crated (BIG crate though). Brady has an area gated off that contains Abby's crate, a small crate for him...should he chose to go in, a bed, etc. It's probably about 8 feet by 5 feet. I made it nice and cozy for him. I hope to be able to get Abby out of her crate and into that area also when we are at work but every time I have tried, she uses her crate as a potty.  8O (I can't even put a towel or mat in there for her because she will pee on it!!!) But the area is nice and safe...nothing he can get into...there is one plug there, but I put the little plastic inserts in there that you use for children...just in case! There is a window that is really low to the ground so he can watch the birds, a water bowl, chew toys and just enough room for him to scuttle around. He's safe and cozy and has a good deal of room for him to play. Would a set up like this work for your hubby as a comprise?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote="AbbyandBrady\";p=\"27436":3e0ukkbw]Can you compromise possibly with an excercise pen or a gated off area? Abby is crated (BIG crate though). Brady has an area gated off that contains Abby's crate, a small crate for him...should he chose to go in, a bed, etc. It's probably about 8 feet by 5 feet. I made it nice and cozy for him. I hope to be able to get Abby out of her crate and into that area also when we are at work but every time I have tried, she uses her crate as a potty.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I do not have a photo (and my mother in law has our camera right now so I can't get you one any time soon) but I will try to descibe.  We have a bedroom (I guess it's supposed to be a bedroom...it's their playroom though...theheheh) that is the shape of an "L"  I have gated off a portion of the little part of the "L." Both crates are in there, I put a bed in there, their toys are stored there and each morning I just toss them (the toys...I don't toss the dogs) back in before I go to work....I keep a water bowl in there, the window does not have a curtain so it can't get torn down.

Suggestion for gating...check Orvis. They have creative dog products and they have very tall gates....I got a stand alone gate (although i do prop it up with the radiator and a chair so it can't be knocked over...but it is nice that it doesn't need to be drilled to the wall--they do make one that can be mounted on the wall though). The large one is 36 inches high and comes in a set of four panels for a width of eight feet.  They are great quality, and much prettier than your typical baby gate!

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... t_id=12987

If you have a nook or a corner or a hallway somewhere that you can make a nice safe area, just create an enclosure with it or something similar. Or get some large pieces of plywood or something to form an enclosure.

We put them in their "house," bribed with a peanut butter filled kong when we go to work...we have someone come midday to take them out and play with them and they go back in with another kong. the second my babies see the red kongs, they go flying upstairs to their house, Brady barks the whole way, and sit right in their waiting for me. If I take too long coming upstairs, Brady comes looking for me and barks until I follow him...it's quite the scene, but to me, if they do this, they obviously don't mind being in there.  They know the routine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tugboat has a crate and for good reasons (remember he is 8 weeks old)

I work from home so we are together non-stop, but on the off chance I have to take a shower I put him in his crate. We yesterday I decided against it and to just leave him out to explore (he had been outside so no worry about accidents)...I get out of the shower (7 mins to shower) and he is barking loud at something. So I grab a towel and go to find out. There he is, on top of my sons bunk bed!

He got up but had not way to get down. He has just learned how to do the stairs. I have a feeling this is just the beginning. Needles to say, today during shower time he was in his crate.

I believe in crates and Tugboat likes it.

Cameron & Tugboat

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you know abbyandbrady's mom, it never even occured to me to put her in a space like that.  we have a very long hallway with one door to the end (which opens to the livingroom).  her "pen could go there and she's just left with some walls...instead of working appliances and cabinets.  

one other thing she always does is dump her water bowl.  usually we have it in its stand and sitting on a rug or towel and when we get home the stand and the wet towel is usually laying in her bed.  it's like she's nesting!  :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting. We crate Hoosier now and began to think about weening him off it, but now I'm not so sure! Its a big crate, but we didn't know how it would be for a full size Boxer in there once he's fully grown. We also didn't want to be inhumane. I come home at lunch time now to take him out and put him back in with a peanut butter Kong. In the afternoons I either get him to the park or play with him and give him lots of time in the backyard.

Does anyone feel like its putting a divide between us? He goes willingly...slowly but willingly back into his crate, but I can't help but feel like he's holding it against us. We are both teachers and just spent the whole summer off with lots of time with him. I just worry that the crate may be breaking the bond. He's used to sleeping in there as well. We have tried leaving it open at night (its in our bedroom), but the little guy walks around all night unless we lock him in! We're also afraid of a midnight accident somewhere in the house.

Should I stick with the crate or try giving him a room?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i personally would stick with the crate. Most any dog will grow to love the kennel and see it as a safe haven. i dont see it being inhumane or anything, it will actually keep your baby safe. Boxer bonds are hard to break-you shouldnt have any worries there. They are so loyal that even if they dont WANT to go they will because they want youto be happy!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Our get so excited to go in their house...I doubt they like us leaving (I do hear them cry sometimes as I leave) but they do get excited for their kongs. I  think you need to save a special treat for ONLY that reason. They never get kongs any other time...they see the kongs, at this point, they associate them with us leaving, but they still go to their house soooo excited!  
We don't use our set up at night...we are gone at work during the day, and I hate the idea of having them barricaded or crated at night too...just weigh too much (I don't like how long they are alone during the day...cannot wait for babies JUST for the reason that I will be working only part time then...teheheh) But I do put a gate at our bedroom door...so they roam only our room so I can keep an eye on them...although for the most part they sleep through the night. Brady still gets up to "check on us" but he goes right back down lately. This way I do not worry about accidents around the house, they can see us anytime they want and they are with us safe and sound.

The hallway sounds like it could be good! lay a bed in there, etc. Just put the plugs in any sockets and just sort of baby-proof it (maybe one of those door handle caps that you use for children also for the living room door...it's amazing how they learn to open doors on their own!!!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
My two shelties (one now deceased) were both crate trained.  Bayla actually enjoyed her own space.  It's all hers, no one bothers her when she goes in, it's her *my* time.  Of course they don't want to go in when you go to work, but I don't believe it's the crate, it's because YOU are leaving them.  Jaxon sleeps in his crate at night, he does not resist, he knows it's bedtime and he sleeps in our bedroom.  He only baulks during the day, when he knows we are leaving the house and leaving him.  Bayla is now 9 and does not sleep in a crate or stay in a crate while we are gone but she doesn't have the get up and go to get in anything.  In my opinion, I would rather my guys be crated and safe then able to find things to hurt themselves with.  Also crating doesn't have to be forever.  My girls were crated while we worked.  After about 2 years when they were more trustworthy I guess you could say, we babygated them into our kitchen, which is very large.  It worked for a while, until Nikki (our deceased sheltie, learned to jump over it to see us out the window :)  Nikki certainly didn't mind her crate, she just wanted to watch us.  Sometimes before we babygated into the kitchen, we would leave and forget to close the crate door because the girls were that good that they knew we were leaving it was time for them to go into the crate they would just go in on their own.  We would come home and they would be sitting in their crates looking at us like duh!  Good luck convincing your husband.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We got a crate not long after we got Calli (our first boxer/mix) she was into everything when we left, she would go OVER the gated area in the kitchen and search the house.  She got the remote control, calculator, library books, shoes, etc. and we were going crazy.  The vet recommended a crate and it was amazing the difference in her.  

We got the biggest crate we could (it is the wire kind with a metal bottom that will hold any accidents, etc. and it sits up off the floor) it will fit two dogs.  We put a mat in there for her and she would lay down and go to sleep.  We always left her crate open when we were home and she went in there to sleep all the time even when we were there.  

Just before she was two we started to leave her out for short amounts of time (30 minutes) while we left.  She did okay with that so we left her for longer.  We did make sure the "tempting" things were put away and anything that she could hurt herself on.  She never had a problem after we got the crate, the only thing she did was sleep on the couch while we were gone (which she wasn't allowed to do), she would always be at the back door when we came home but we would go feel the couch and it was still warm!  :D
We have used it for all 4 of our babies and when we had three boxers we were able to leave all three out free in the house without any trouble.  We didn't even have to pick things up.  They just didn't get into them.  Ziggi is 1 1/2 and we still crate him for any long periods we will be gone but we leave him free in the house when we are out for short times or out side mowing, etc.  In the next few months we will be working with him to be free in the house when we leave.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i finally won!!!!  we came home last week and madeline had learned how to open the diswasher.  she had pulled the entire top rack and everything with it out (almost a full load).  needless to say i was so angry since she could have hurt herself on some of the broken glass.  

we went that night and got her a crate.  i let the hubby pick it out since he's been so reluctant and of course he selected the one up from the recommended for boxers.  this thing is massive!!!  but i have to say she has done remarkably well; she got right in, doesn't complain, and even will go in when we tell her to.  makes me wonder if she had a crate before coming to us.  she will even sleep in it at night (we leave the door open).  it's been a huge relief for me as i was expecting the worst (which would come in twos i might add!)  ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts