Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am just now learning about DCM and the connection to grain free dog food. I asked a veterinarian and he said to never feed grain free, especially to boxers. Well Olive is 3 months old now and that is all we have been feeding her so now we're looking for a new food. I have done some research and found some that I like but I wanted to get y'alls opinion on the ones I'm looking at.
Not in any particular order:
1.) Purina Pro Plan Large breed puppy Purina Pro Plan
2.) Wellness Large Breed puppy Wellness Large Breed
3.) Whole Earth Farms puppy Whole Earth Farms
4.) Diamond Naturals Large breed puppy Diamond Naturals

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Purina has a very good track record as far as safety so thats what I chose to go with and 2 of my Vets recommended it my dogs are doing well good body weight and stools. After losing two to food related DCM I just don’t want to take any chances that was too painful a lesson. Royal canine Boxer puppy I used as well. I didnt like Science Diet because it says on the bag that ingredients are globally sourced I already had a scare with that with the Chinese wheat gluten.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purina has a very good track record as far as safety so thats what I chose to go with and 2 of my Vets recommended it my dogs are doing well good body weight and stools. After losing two to food related DCM I just don’t want to take any chances that was too painful a lesson. Royal canine Boxer puppy I used as well. I didnt like Science Diet because it says on the bag that ingredients are globally sourced I already had a scare with that with the Chinese wheat gluten.
I looked at Royal Canine as well. I liked their puppy food but their adult food didn't have a good rating compared to others. I would like to find a brand that I feel good sticking with throughout all stages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you think about this stuff
NutriSource large breed puppy

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Buying just the right food is often difficult. Every manufacturer jumps not he "wagon" for whatever trend is going on. Some time back it went from all the old dog food companies like Purina, RC, Science Diet to newer brands all grain free. Now there i a link between grain free, all the legumes to DCM in dogs, talk at first was lack of taurine, now many are adding taurine. I've been investigating Lifes Abundance with another member. Which seems quite good. My dogs are presently on Science diet Prescription/n non-prescription and Purina pro. I think I will stick with the big names for now. As long as my dog is thriving I'm going to stick with whichever food they do well on. Price now is high on each and every one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So I am just now learning about DCM and the connection to grain free dog food. I asked a veterinarian and he said to never feed grain free, especially to boxers. Well Olive is 3 months old now and that is all we have been feeding her so now we're looking for a new food. I have done some research and found some that I like but I wanted to get y'alls opinion on the ones I'm looking at.
Not in any particular order:
1.) Purina Pro Plan Large breed puppy Purina Pro Plan
2.) Wellness Large Breed puppy Wellness Large Breed
3.) Whole Earth Farms puppy Whole Earth Farms
4.) Diamond Naturals Large breed puppy Diamond Naturals
For kibble good choices, If I where to do that I would supplement with a good topping of mackerel canned de-boned and rinsed. with some doggie vitamins and a fish oil 980 mg omega 3's with some fortiflora a 1/2 of packet. Actually I would do 2/3's mackerel and 1/3th kibble.

·
Registered
409 Posts
For kibble good choices, If I where to do that I would supplement with a good topping of mackerel canned de-boned and rinsed. with some doggie vitamins and a fish oil 980 mg omega 3's with some fortiflora a 1/2 of packet. Actually I would do 2/3's mackerel and 1/3th kibble.
Make sure you clear out all the bones from the middle of the mackerel we Do not want a excess of calcium especially in a young dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts