Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is Tyson's mommy. We've had Tyson for about 6 months now. He's an awsome dog and very smart. Recently though he's been acting up. We had a bed in his crate and he ripped it up. we got a new bed for him and he loved the new one. we caught him trying to rip that one and told him that he was bad and he understood. While he was in the crate he ripped up the new bed. He knew that he had been bad when we saw it. we took the ripped bed out and he had to sleep on the plastic until we got to the store later that day to get him a new one. Now this morning when we came down he had chewed that one to shreds also. he has a bunch of toys in his crate and he knows that he is bad when he does it. Does anyone have any help? We hate to keep buying him new beds every few days, but we also don't want him to have to sleep on the plastic. Also he's been running away recently when we let him out to potty. We got him fixed and thought that would help but it's not. Even when i'm watching him, as soon as he's done going he runs even when i'm calling him. I really need some help. He was never like this. I don't know why he has now started this. Thanks sooo much!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You say he knows he's been bad but are you sure?  Look at it from his perspective: "I can rip up this bed because they'll just buy me a new one!"

Sounds like somebody should be without a bed until he proves he won't ruin it.  I definitely wouldn't keep buying him ones.  He can survive without a bed.

I'd first make sure he's not doing it out of boredom/lack of exercise.  Make sure he's tired when he goes into that crate. But with that being said, bed destruction is pretty common on this board.   You can do all the right things and he still might rip it to shreds.  Some boxers are just like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also thought that he should be without a bed for a while, but his daddy said that he knew he was wrong and went right out and bought a new one. i'll tell him that you agree with me.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I used to think that Oggie always knew when he was bad, but half the time he's probably just acting sad and pouting because I reprimanded him.  Not because he actually knew what he did wrong.  It probably takes a few times catching them in the act before they start to get it.   Consistenct corrections.  I think I'm lucky I'm a light sleeper, because I always kept Oggie close to me at night and if he got up or did anything, I'd wake up.   I'm not sure if Tyson is destroying these beds at night or while you're out, but what I would do is definitely not put a bed in there when you're not around.  But if you really want to teach him to have a bed, just put it in at night and put his crate next to your bed.  Then when you hear him ripping it up, you can correct him.  This of course won't work if a) you're heavy sleepers or b) he only destroys when you're not home.  And if he's destroying it only when you're not home, there could be a separation issue or something.  

As for the other stuff while outside, he's probably just testing you.  He's challenging your dominance.   If he can't behave off leash, then leash him when you're out until he behaves.

G

·
0 Posts
No help here...jetta and bo are still on their original blankets- no beds for them,just microfiber blankets...they did however destroy the blanket that I put over their crate but that was my fault as I forgot to leave them a toy

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
well...whether he knows its wrong or not sometimes doesnt matter if they are bored...which boxers are notorious for...hes running off too? how old is he? that 7-12 months of age is that time they test you even more...is he getting enough exercise?

BUT...majority of the time they are digging at the beds to make them comfortable..'nesting'...

we went through several until we figuered it out...Isis was digging and clawing at it to make it comfy..which of course shreds it..

try to put things in the crate that move when he claws at them...old clothes...a bunch of small blankets...when he digs at them..they will move around..see if it works.. :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
He's at an age when he will test the boundaries, so it's bet to nip the behavior in the bud now....Seems to me Dan had the same problem with beds for Ringer...My thought is don't give him a bed, if you feel that you have to put something in there, get a couple cheap fleece throws..I saw some the other day 3 for $10, so you don't have a huge expense.

As far as the running away when you call him, first I would put him back on lead and start all over agin. Next, there are 2 Sticky topics dealing with recall in the Training section, read those and use the hints and tips in there....Recall is an ongoing training, Samson has days when you would swear he can't hear, Angel too, then there are days when they both come when I call....So consider that something you have to practice the rest of your life...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts