Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so Duke got his ears done Thursday and the vet wants to leave the taping off for ten days to let the stitches heal. They are doing great now, the first day we had a little bleeding around them. Now there is hard dried blood caked in and around them. He goes for a checkup in two days. Should I try to clean them up or wait. He is still hurting from them and when I barely touch them he twitches real hard and moves away from me. I know many have had their dogs ears done on here so any advice please. Also share your taping method the vet said he would do it first few times, then send home a video which is fine but anything is helpful. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
You must keep the edges clean and dry. Ask your vet about how he would like you to care for them and what products he would like you to use. This really should have been discussed before he came home. I'd also ask for some pain medication such as Metacam.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Back in the days we taped them from day 1,changing bandages every day at 1st then every 2 days;we used 2 q-tips taped together,cut to lenght and well padded on the insides of the ears to maintain form and prevent flapping which leads to,well,tears and bleading...you don't want any edges near the sides,they are in pain.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Of course his ears hurt! Yours would too if you chopped a piece of them off, especially after only 4 days! Didn't the vet give you any pain medication for the poor pup? And as others have mentioned, his ears should be posted or glued to a foam block. What's the point of cropping them, putting him through all that pain to just let the cartilage harden flopped over like that?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
It looks painful I cant imagine having part of my ear lopped off for just wanting "that look". Im sorry it sounds harsh but I cant see a reason to have put him through this

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ouch!! The poor guy!! I have to agree with the others...I don't see the point of this at all and now not even properly supported?? That's a lot of suffering for something that hasn't even been done correctly?

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Ok,lets not be harsh and culpabilize anyone shall we :)

Lets put our collective knowledge together and help the pup.

Its been 25 years since I had a dog ears cropped but what I remember is get plenty of fluffy stuff (cotton) a lot of white tape and a box of Q-tips (all from a pharmacy)

I used 2 q-tips side-by-side and cut to length,then tape them together (lay a piece of tape on the table,stick the q-tips to it then cover with another length of tape;cut the excess with scissors.

cotton pads inside the ears (not in the canal) q-tips assembly inside the ears as well,tape (figure out how to not tape the bleeding parts of the ears

When both done,repeat the q-tips trick to make a bridge between both ears and tape the lot together,making the assembly look just like you want the ears to point up

Hope this help,more tricks might come up...maybe even a search might come up on google with pictures

P.S.

repeat as long as they don't stand up correctly (could take a few weeks,can take 2 months)...and like I said,until the scabs are gone,change the lot every day with a bit of time for everything to dry up

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Aww guys and ladies the time to "lecture" is past. Does no good at this point ... what's done is done.

So let's try to help a "Boxer" owner out! :)

I'm thinking and used this product on myself and my doggies:
Well-Horse.com

And I have seen in the grocery stores Cortizone Cream that is also labeled as "Pain Reliving." So those are a couple of options but as was stated ... that "Vet" should have taken "this" situation into consideration before hand?? So ... there is that.

I'd have to say "that" particular vet does not sound like he has his act together?? If you plan on getting him fixed ... I'd think twice about using that guy??

Welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have gotten some very ugly messages and negative comments on every post. I understand not everyone is for cropped ears, but if your against it please bite your tongue and scroll on. Actually it doesn't even matter. Thank you to all the positive helpful comments I will be deactivating my account here. It's been a horrible experience. And update on Duke he is doing amazing and his ears are healing great! And yes ear splitting is common. Google it. Bye everyone I hate it came to this.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
well,sorry to hear that :/

In case you curiosity spike,polysporin does an ointment with numbing agent that works...but it has to be massaged-in,so not a great idea...maybe dabbing before taping would work

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We took him to the vet today for a checkup and they said they were healing perfect he gets stitches out Thursday. We are going to run some neosporin or some ointment on the next few days to help loosen the stitches. I will try that. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You must keep the edges clean and dry. Ask your vet about how he would like you to care for them and what products he would like you to use. This really should have been discussed before he came home. I'd also ask for some pain medication such as Metacam.
They gave him verprofen. The first couple days I panicked over everything and we have sheltered him from hitting his ears or anything. They are doing amazing and stitches come out Thursday. He is out of his pain medication so I'm gonna give him aspirin if I notice any indication that he is still hurting.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Nah,better stay off the aspirin...not a pet product..even the child format.

Best is that polysporin with numbing agent I told you about.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I too would suggest to not use aspirin. My Holistic Vet advised 'White Willow Bark' for one of boys when he was in pain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm heading to pick up the polysporin now. Thank you all. Duke says thank you too. We haven't given any aspirin thanks to yalls advice and he doesn't seem to have any pain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Dogs are tough,its in their instinct not to show any signs of distress,keep this in mind :)

But its been a while,he must be at the "merely an annoyance" stage now...not even sure you need the numbing agent...but the polysporin will speed up the healing no doubt.

Layla scratches herself pretty badly sometimes(she has no fur,its like less than a quarter inch long!) and a dab of that stuff,the next day its barely noticeable.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Dogs are tough,its in their instinct not to show any signs of distress,keep this in mind :)

But its been a while,he must be at the "merely an annoyance" stage now...not even sure you need the numbing agent...but the polysporin will speed up the healing no doubt.

Layla scratches herself pretty badly sometimes(she has no fur,its like less than a quarter inch long!) and a dab of that stuff,the next day its barely noticeable.
Exactly what Martin said - most dogs (animals in general) don't show when they are in pain. Pain is a sign of weakness and if you show weakness in the wild, you're dead.

I've accidentally cut my Duke's nails too far and he was bleeding a lot and he didn't even yelp.

Personally, I would keep him on the pain meds for at least a week.

I hope your Duke heals up quickly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts