Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Talos loves to chew on bully sticks. They've been a saving grace through teething. Last week he swallowed a piece about an inch and a half long and the next morning threw it up. He continued to vomit all day. I know... this should have been lesson learned and no more bully sticks. I'm an idiot.
So last night we give him a fresh new 10 inch stick. He spent a good hour or so gnawing on it last night and it was now about 6/7 inches long. He's chew on it through the day while home with dad and by the time I get home it's probably 4 inches long. Suddenly my husband notices that he's able to fit the whole thing in his mouth and asked my son to take it from him. My son (14yrs old btw) made the mistake of leaning his head back to reach in for it. It's gone!
I'd say it's probably 2 inches in length. I immediately call the vet. Do I try to induce vomiting now... do I wait?
She said since he just swallowed it give him 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomitting. He threw up what was left of his food in his stomach. No bully stick. I'm terrified he'll throw it up and it will get stuck in his throat. Or stuck somewhere in his digestive track. Vet said if he didn't throw it up to watch him closely for the next 24 hours.
Anyone else been through this? No more bully sticks for this boy :-(

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So Talos loves to chew on bully sticks. They've been a saving grace through teething. Last week he swallowed a piece about an inch and a half long and the next morning threw it up. He continued to vomit all day. I know... this should have been lesson learned and no more bully sticks. I'm an idiot.
So last night we give him a fresh new 10 inch stick. He spent a good hour or so gnawing on it last night and it was now about 6/7 inches long. He's chew on it through the day while home with dad and by the time I get home it's probably 4 inches long. Suddenly my husband notices that he's able to fit the whole thing in his mouth and asked my son to take it from him. My son (14yrs old btw) made the mistake of leaning his head back to reach in for it. It's gone!
I'd say it's probably 2 inches in length. I immediately call the vet. Do I try to induce vomiting now... do I wait?
She said since he just swallowed it give him 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomitting. He threw up what was left of his food in his stomach. No bully stick. I'm terrified he'll throw it up and it will get stuck in his throat. Or stuck somewhere in his digestive track. Vet said if he didn't throw it up to watch him closely for the next 24 hours.
Anyone else been through this? No more bully sticks for this boy :-(
Yup. Zuke threw up about 4 of them. I tried to keep an eye on him but he always seemed to sneak that last bit down whole. Finally started taking them away when they got to about 4 inches and cut them up in manageable pieces. Zuke had no issues throwing up the undigested piece in the morning, and then proceeded to try to re-swallow it. Gross!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I didn't worry too much(probably not the best thing) figured it would come out one of the two ends.

I don't think it would become a blockage because it would naturally break down from the stomach acids. Might take a little longer but I would think eventually it would pass.

The biggest surprise for me was when he was about 4 months he swallowed a piece of wood mulch and I didn't see him do it. That night he threw up in my bed and I'm not kidding the piece of mulch was the size of an oreo. I have no idea how he got it down never mind he got it back up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had to pull a stick out of Willow's bum once... it was still whole. She was totally fine! I hadn't realized she had swallowed it, thought she dropped it somewhere on our walk!
A bully stick would break down I would think? Although obviously I don't know for sure. Just follow your vet's advice and keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't worry too much(probably not the best thing) figured it would come out one of the two ends.

I don't think it would become a blockage because it would naturally break down from the stomach acids. Might take a little longer but I would think eventually it would pass.

The biggest surprise for me was when he was about 4 months he swallowed a piece of wood mulch and I didn't see him do it. That night he threw up in my bed and I'm not kidding the piece of mulch was the size of an oreo. I have no idea how he got it down never mind he got it back up.
The last time he did this he threw up 7 times that day. On the 7th time he threw up pine needles. This dog is a 4 legged vacuum cleaner! We've got to keep a constant eye on him. If we leave the room he will get into something he shouldn't every single time.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The last time he did this he threw up 7 times that day. On the 7th time he threw up pine needles. This dog is a 4 legged vacuum cleaner! We've got to keep a constant eye on him. If we leave the room he will get into something he shouldn't every single time.
Wow. Yeah Zuke would only throw up one time and that was pretty much it. Of course it always had to be at 3-4 am in my bed.lol

Zuke was like that for his 1st few months. Now I trust him completely. He doesn't touch anything that isn't his food/treat. I don't know if it was training or just his personality but after the adult teeth came in it all stopped.

It sounds kind of mean but I trained him to show no interest in people food by putting a warm rotisserie on the floor and he had to ignore it. One time I left a hamburger on a low coffee table because my neighbor needed help and when I came back 15 minutes later he was just laying in his bed and the hamburger was still there. He got lots of praise for that and a piece of hamburger. I think he was trying to figure out what he did to garner all that praise.lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. Yeah Zuke would only throw up one time and that was pretty much it. Of course it always had to be at 3-4 am in my bed.lol

Zuke was like that for his 1st few months. Now I trust him completely. He doesn't touch anything that isn't his food/treat. I don't know if it was training or just his personality but after the adult teeth came in it all stopped.

It sounds kind of mean but I trained him to show no interest in people food by putting a warm rotisserie on the floor and he had to ignore it. One time I left a hamburger on a low coffee table because my neighbor needed help and when I came back 15 minutes later he was just laying in his bed and the hamburger was still there. He got lots of praise for that and a piece of hamburger. I think he was trying to figure out what he did to garner all that praise.lol
He's getting really good at "wait" I'll set a piece of cheese on the floor and he'll just sit and watch it until I say "go ahead" But if I leave the room he'll find a piece of mail to rip up, a paper bag, tried to eat a peanutbutter cookie but it was still in the package so he just managed to destroy the cookie.

As for this current bully stick swallowing.. he's still eating and drinking normally. His poop has been a bit loose but no vomiting. No sign of distress. So we just keep watching and waiting. At this point we don't know if he'd managed to have it softened enough when he swallowed it that his tummy is trying to digest it or what. But so far we haven't seen it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
He's getting really good at "wait" I'll set a piece of cheese on the floor and he'll just sit and watch it until I say "go ahead" But if I leave the room he'll find a piece of mail to rip up, a paper bag, tried to eat a peanutbutter cookie but it was still in the package so he just managed to destroy the cookie.

As for this current bully stick swallowing.. he's still eating and drinking normally. His poop has been a bit loose but no vomiting. No sign of distress. So we just keep watching and waiting. At this point we don't know if he'd managed to have it softened enough when he swallowed it that his tummy is trying to digest it or what. But so far we haven't seen it.
Thats really good news. I'm assuming if there was a blockage he would throw whatever he ate or drank right up. Also if it was 3 days ago maybe it passed already, or he threw it up in a hiding spot in your house. Haha

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Our vet said she had performed too many emergency surgeries for bully stick blockage. We stopped feeding them after that. Too bad because my dog loved them! Talk to your vet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our vet said she had performed too many emergency surgeries for bully stick blockage. We stopped feeding them after that. Too bad because my dog loved them! Talk to your vet.
We did talk to the vet. I called them immediately and we induced vomiting. So the good news is that the piece may have been smaller than we thought because we watched like a hawk and had no issues.

Sadly this is the end of bully sticks for him. Sad because he enjoyed them so much but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
We tried bully sticks once because I thought they were safe and not like rawhide, but we couldn't stand how sloppy and smelly it got so that was it for bully sticks here. We do give Kai Himilayan chews which he loves. When they get to swallowing size we microwave them but you really need to wait some time as they stay hot and you don't want a hot piece .

·
Registered
58 Posts
What do you recommend instead of bully sticks? My pup goes through them insanely quickly (10-45 minutes) and we are looking for something a bit longer lasting that's safer. I've thought about antlers but I've heard that those can splinter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
The only chew Kai gets now is the Himalayan chew. It lasts him a few days however he is not a big chewer anymore but he enjoys these and only gets them when we are busy and we want to just give him something so he won't get bored. Its just an issue when they get small enough that he could swallow them whole that we take them away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a question about the Himalayan chew.. I haven't given it to tyson but I'm very interested. I think it would keep him busy for a few since we don't give rawhide. I think it says to microwave the chew however do u guys think they really really hard? I felt it thru the package n it seemed too hard for him. Tyson doesn't like extremely hard treats/ I know they r supposed to gnaw on it to soften it up. I'm just curious.. I did give him the yacky sticks, they weren't that hard , he liked them but I know the chew will entertain him for longer while I supervised of course. ;)

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
We don't microwave them until the piece gets so small from gnawing on it that he could possibly swallow it. That is the only time we microwave it. After the microwave it is fairly airy and he literally chews on it and eats it like a dog biscuit. When its new he plays with it and chews at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts