Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my female was in heat for maybe 2 1/2 weeks and it seems to have stopped. but now wondering if she is pregnant. is there any way we can find out. Are there any physical signs we can watch out for? We had her in someone's eyesight the whole time but it looks like her belly is starting to hang down a little. any help will be so appreciated.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Was she in your sight *at all times* during her heat cycle? Are you *absolutely positive* that she was never alone outside or left unattending during this time? If so, it's likely that she is not pregnant and just going through a false pregnancy. Typically bitches in the wild cycle together. The false pregnancy is nature's way of ensuring that puppies produced by the alpha female and the alpha male would be fed in the event that the alpha female had to leave the pack (to hunt, etc). False pregnancies can cause them to "adopt" a stuffed animal, nest, swell, mood changes, and even produce milk.

If you were not able to observe her at all times, and if she was left outside by herself, it is possible that she is indeed pregnant. If this is the case, you will want to consider making a trip to the vet and speaking with them about your options.

Typically, my bitches have bled for the first two weeks and tapered off during the third week, with their cycle ending at the end of the third week. When this tapering off occurs, the discharge will turn to a light straw color, which indicates ovulation. This normally happens around day 10-14. It is usually during this time that she will become excessively stinky, and be VERY fertile. It is absolutely imperitive that she be kept away from males during this time. Males will also be able to smell her scent for miles. You may end up with some unexpected visitors during this time. (My poor neighbor's neutered male Boston Terrier showed up at my closed front door the last time my puppy bitch was in season! :eek: )

If you are not planning on showing her, health testing her, and eventually breeding her it is best to have her spayed so that you don't have to worry about this in the future. Spaying also brings with it the added benefits of not having to worry about the risk of deadly pyometra (an infection of the uterus) and malignant mammary tumors. Incidence of mammary tumors greatly increases with each heat cycle that they have, up to the age of 2.

Here are a few reasons of why spaying is beneficial for the long term health of your bitch: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_th ... _spay.html

I spay all of my bitches if I determine that they will not be used for showing and breeding.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts