Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is serious or not. but I have a just under 1 year old white boxer, beautiful dog, I have already lost 1 boxer before, because of a complication at the vets office. I cannot lose another one! Here is the situation. He will just get up from the couch some times and randomly fall down and then when he is down he just sits there and breathes heavily and when I finally get him up he will lean up against anything possible. At first we thought he might have just had hip problems until recently I was sitting on the couch and he fell over like he is sleeping. And I went to shake him and get him up and he was like unconcious and his eyes where fixed in one direction and he did the heavy breathing again. Is this siezures? or what?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
How awful for you!  It sounds like a seizure to me, but I've never experienced one.  If your last dog died because of a vet thing, maybe get a different vet.  But deffinately have that baby looked at as soon as possible! :(

Zhanna

p.s.
welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm not a vet, nor do I have any experience in this, but it does sound like something that needs to be attended to..I'm a worry wart anyways, but it's better to be safe....If you had issues with your vet before, by all means use another!! First and foremost you want the best care possible for your boxer...

Please keep us posted and hoping it's nothing terribly serious. Oh and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Like Nano said, get him to a vet and have the heart checked and also have a full thyroid panel done. My last boxer had seizures, and usually seizures will occur when the dog is at full rest or in a deep sleep. It really doesn't sound like a seizure to me. I'm not a vet so I won't even take a guess, just try to find a vet you are comfortable with and have these tests done asap. Keep us updated..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upon taking him to a NEW vet, he discussed it is a heart problem, and we had blood work done. Results will be in soon, and the vet said that upon assesing the situation he concludes that his heart is beating twice as fast as a normal heart, and it can't keep up w/ the pulse or something like that. He referred us to a dog cardiologist or something to that degree. And in the past 24 hours approx. he hasn't had a siezure. I hope this thing will just blow past. And btw thanks for all the help/support!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Heart problems are prevelant in boxers.  Fortunately it is treatable.  I would get the appointment with the cardiologist and do what they recommend testing wise, which will probably be a holter monitor and ultra sound of the heart.  It is the best way to know what is going on and how to treat it.   I unfortunately have been thru this 3 times now with my last 3 boxers.  I would not let it blow past!  Treating it early and appropriately could extend the dogs life tremendously.  My guess is that it never was a seizure, just the dog feeling dizzy from the heart, of course I am not a vet, I am just going with my past experiences with my dogs with the problem.

Best of luck.

Nano

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you where right, it was just the dizzy thing, also we got blood work results back, and the doctor said something about his liver producing more enzymes then what it should or something to that degree. He has an appointment monday. My other 2 boxers would be heartbroken if we lost another family member.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
So glad to hear it wasn't more serious..I bet you are breathing a big sigh about now.... :) Get that sweetheart on some meds that will get his liver back to normal and hopefullt that will take care of it...

It's amazing how many human things are dogs can get, isn't it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts