Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll: Can anybody please help me, I have a male boxer aged 3yrs (not castrated) and he has recently started urinating in the house - not just scent marking, he is actually relieving himself, he is doing it over the childrens toys, in the dining room and even all over us in the tent whilst camping and we were sleeping (not pleasant !! ), he gets 2 long walks a day and has a dog flap on so that he has access to the garden 24/7 - my husband is now threatening to get rid of him so any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
OH! 8O   Ouch!!!   no advice here.  But I will be watching intently for answers from others.

My DH would say the same thing if our dog is not housetrained by 6-9 months :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First, I have to ask, why he isn't neutered...Second, have you had him checked out by your vet? Perhaps there is a medical reason that he is suddenly doing this? Bladder or urinary problem perhaps.

Then we move on to behavior issues..Has anything changed lately that would cause this kind of behavior? I'm assuming until recently that he hasn't had any problems and was using his doggie door fine? Un-neutered males are prone to marking their territory, and that's what it sounds like he is doing, but as to why, well that I can't answer without more details...Truly, I'm not an expert, but there are a few people on here that may have some ideas for you..

Welcome to the forum by the way...What's your boy's name?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for advice - have been to vets and there is no medical problem, he thinks its just behavioural but doesnt know why as there are no changes to household, have booked him in for castration so will see what happens then !!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Since a medical condition has been ruled out, it is most likely that he is not neutered. That is one of the unpleasant behavioral issues you can have from an unaltered male.
I'm glad you have an appointment to have him neutered, that should help a lot. When does he go in? Let us know how he does.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You need to go back to using a crate.  Your dog thinks he can do whatever he wants.  I would start back at square one like a puppy - I would think he would get the jist of it again within a week.

Take outside give the command - we use "GO POTTY" - then treat when he goes outside.  Then allow him back in - every hour go back out - if he doesn't go when you give the command - he goes in his crate for 20-40 minutes and you go out again.  

You can also try bell training - it would accomplish the same thing.  Our 11 month old is house broken, but we are going to bell train her anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts