Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel terrible! We have to keep little Tyson in a crate while we sleep and arent at home (only for the time being, not forever) Its the best way I know to keep him from chewing and going potty all over my house until he actually knows right from wrong. But its just so sad, because he is now howling instead of whimpering. I know that boxers just loveeee people attention, and I know hes a baby, but what will help him stop crying? Would it help if I actually put his crate in the bedroom so he can see that we are there, or is it just something that he is going to have to get used to?? The only time he doesnt cry is when I put our little chichuaua in with him. And Tyson is going to get so big that I dont want him to get used to that!!! I feel like a bad mom  :cry: HELP!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just stick with it, he will get use to it. Every puppy I had I crate trained and in the begining they don't like it. But don't use it for any type of punishment or he won't get "use" to it. You are not a bad mom, but I do understand how it makes you feel, they sure can lay on the guilt can't they? :cry:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
they sure can lay on the guilt can't they?
You're tellin' me!!!! Odin is great at doing that. I feel so bad putting him in his crate... but I know if I give in... that will only make it worse. He howls and whimpers and crys... and sometimes it seems as though there is an extra puppy in there... he can seem to make two different noises at once. It "hurts" me really bad but he use to cry for 35 to 45 minutes straight... now he only cry's for 10 or so... so HE'S GETTING use to it... just like yours will I'm sure. Starr05 is right... they SURE DO know how to just make you feel HORRIBLE about doing it. Just stick with it... he'll get better!!  :D

Every time I put him in I have Sarah (my daughter) give him a treat. If I've been hanging around to long before we leave out the door I have her give him another treat (probably not the best idea, but I just feel so bad). At night I put peanut butter in his "puppy kong" and put it in his crate... along with some other toys of his and tell him "Crate" and stick him in... then give him a treat through the crate... and leave the room. He cry's like I said but not like he use to... he still won't really go in on his own. We've seen him go in to sniff around on his own... and EVERY time we see him do it on his own... we give him a treat. BUT he will not sit or lay down in there on his own.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh, they sure do know how to play us, don't they? A couple of ideas you can try that may or may not work. I used to leave the radio on low sometimes, something soothing, like jazz. Or when we were in Ireland, I turned on Animal Planet for the dogs when we went out at nite. You can move the crate into your bedroom, I know a lot of people do, but if it's going to take up a lot of room, leave it where it is..Tyson will learn and it doesn't make you a "bad parent" for leaving him in the crate...On the contrary, it makes you a responsible parent, so keep that in mind...

One other thing to do, when you crate him in the morning, before you leave. Don't make a big production out of it. Just calmly put him in his crate, with his toys, whatever, then leave..No fuss..Do the same when you come in, I actually would leave Angel in her crate for about 5 minutes when I got home, not even acknowledging her. I know that sounds cruel, but you dont want to make a big fuss about it...Not all dogs ever really like the crate, I've known some that have used it as their getaway, but if they don't it's ok, you just want them not to hate it!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've thought about moving Odins crate into our bedroom but he'll still cry and since he's in OUR room it'll only be LOUDER. Maybe it would work for you though... every one's different... boxer-wise.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok crate in bedroom DID NOT work, it just makes him howl very loud because i guess its like teasing him. But I did put a radio in the other room with him, and it worked last night, until I had to put him up this morning when I left for work. poor baby, I guess he will just have to get used to it!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the only way to keep Reese from howling is if Savannah is in with her-i also found out that my baby girl will seek "revenge" :) by pee'ing and poo'ing in the kennel if savannah isnt in there with her. If Savvy is in there she is a perfect angel!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Keep at it!  It will be the best thing you could do.  Boxer can be very nosey and some will eat anything they can get into their mouths!  I am speaking from experience.  We crate Gunner but Scout does fine on his own.  We have to supervise Gunner's every move.  I'm not sure he will outgrow that but time will tell.  We use treats and kongs with him to keep him occupied while in the crate.  I also wouldn't invest in a crate bed right away.  We used old blankets and towels.  He had a bad habit of ripping them up.

When we first started crate training Gunner, we used an old sound machine.  We would hit the timer and set it on top of the crate.  He seemed to like that at night.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just put one of the quilts that my mom made when i was younger in there with him. Weird this morning, I wasnt sure he was there until i saw him un-bury himself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts