Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ginsy has started peeing in the house again :eek:  I'm not sure why or how to fix it.   we will come in from a long walk and not even 5 min later she will have peed on the floor by the gate in the front hall.

My Dh is soooooo PO'd about it.  He doesn't think dogs should be in the house in the first place and this just cinches it for him.

To tell you the truth I am too happy about it either, I'm not going to have an animal in my house if it is going to use my carpet/ floor as a toilet!!  So it is critical that I figure this out and get her house trained.  

(Keep in mind that she is only 4 1/2 months old ::))  i know it can take up to 6-9 months for them to be fully house trained but honestly she was almost perfect a few weeks ago.  Then recently we have had rain almost everyday so we aren't getting out as much.  I realize this is part of the problem but I am getting very frustrated by this now.

No I don't believe she has a bladder infection or anything like that.  We saw the vet when we got her rabies shot last Fri.  she was so healthy and strong the vet was very impressed.   her fur was so shiny and thick the tech had a hard time finding a spot on her neck to put the flea and tick stuff :laugh4:

·
Registered
186 Posts
well i dont realy have any real advice for you, Harley never was a problem with house breaking. she did have slip ups every now and then seems like around that age..we always kept a curled up newpaper 9even though we never spanked her) we would hit it on something and the noise would scare her to where she new she had done wrong, or we would say bad girl and again she would become submissive knowing she was wrong again..i guess we got really lucky with her and her training, of course we already had an older dog when we got harley as a pup and she followed the other dogs lead by going outside to use the bathroom. sorry i have no real advice.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably it is my fault.  she has been so good for the last month or more that I just haven't been watching her as well.  She has a bell and she had been using it.

I don't know, it is just so frustrating.  Have potty trained four children and I grew up with dogs before leaving home for college so this isn't new to me.  i guess I just wasn't expecting regression from a dog.  And she has even peed under the table to hide it :x   crazy puppy!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
In all honesty, they can be quite like potty training kids.  They may do well for a lil while and then BAM they start having accidents.  Just keep up with her schedule and if she is peeing 5 minutes after coming in from her walk then extend your walk by 10 minutes.  

The problem may actually be the weather!!!  Some Boxers absolutely HATE water (ocean, lake, waterhose rain).  She may not be comfy peeing if the grass is wet or if it is raining outside.    If it's the wet grass thing, just get her used to it.  Treats and praise work great for this!!!  If it's the raining thing, take an umbrella out with you.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese is still going in the house! i hate it case it is usually when my bf is home and he just doesnt take them out. Then she will go- never though when i am home. She DOES however pee/poo in her kennel at night now. Didnt used to but has recently started. No clue- Reese is 6 months though so i am gritting my teeth and just keep working with her.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Has anything happened that would cause her to relieve herself out of stress or fear when your bf is home?

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really isn't that uncommon, esp at that age to have a wee bit of a relapse. Like you said, it does generally take til they are about 6 mos..So as they start getting better, we tend to relax and boom, there's an accident or 2...The rain is a big problem with our babies, they just don't like it and will avoid it as much as possible, that makes potty training even harder...Take a deep breath and kinda go back to the basics with Ginsy, it shouldn't last too long, she's a smart girl.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[sigh]  Patience...... [breathe]  patience  [sigh] she is still a puppy (a really big puppy  :lol: )  [breathe]

she has been attached to my belt or in her crate all day.  No accidents :D   Well.... unless you count when my unknown neighbor put her in the house :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol.... :pray: And perhaps this might help  :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts