Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to the vet again today for a follow up visit.
Vet says two more weeks of confinement! 8O
We're gonna stay on the Rimadyl for the two more weeks.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Henry's confinement

Partial tear of the ACL.

Forgot to mention . . . doc also said that 90% of the time, the partial tear turns into a total tear! :roll:
So y'all please pray for our Henry!  I really don't want him to have to go through all that! :(

·
Registered
882 Posts

he doesn't look to pleased in that second pic :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Hope it heals up and has no more problems.  He does look sad, hang in there Henry.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

Awww poor Henry! Hope he's back to himself soon!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

Awww, poor Henry looks so sad.  Feel better soon hugs & hoping it doesn't turn into a full tear.  I must say though I love his color, and shiny coat!  He's a beautiful dog!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks guys!

I just have a hard time believing that it would turn into a full tear if all he's doing is laying around.  Surely all that laying around would let the leg heal?  Right? :?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

a torn ACL will not heal.  If that is what he has done it will need to be surgically repaired.  I hope that is not the case but I have been there done that with two boxer males.  I believe the males are more prone to it.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

I would say I have to disagree, unless it is a complete tear....because we are dealing with a partial tear at this time. ...It actually depends on the tear itself, the location and the severity, if it can heal itself. If the tear or stretch is minor, (which is still painful) it can sometimes heal through rest and the aid of anti-inflammatory medications.....

That's why the vet has specified no running, jumping or climbing. The re-check in 10 to 14 days, they then will determine the necessity for a surgical fix....... The surgery is not minor, but usually very successful in repairing torn ligaments. Here again, with resting the leg and very limited to no activity for a period of 4 to 6 weeks and maybe a bit longer (again depending on the tear/surgery).....I would give the meds, make sure your he stays calm, and follow up with the vet.

If the tear declines instead of improving or becomes a full tear, then you will on your way to surgery. Extra Capsular Suture,Tibia Plateau Leveling Osteotomy, Fibular Head Transposition, Tibia Tuberosity Advancement are most surgical options.....

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, you guys!  I'm soooooooo worried! :(

I don't want Henry to have surgery! :cry:   I think he could handle the surgery, but how to explain two months of no running!?!?  He already looks at me like he's saying, "Why mommy?  What did I do wrong to deserve this horrible treatment??  Why won't you let me run and jump like I used to?" :cry:

I think I'm getting depressed! :(

Dear Father God,
Please heal my puppy so he doesn't have to have surgery!
In Jesus name,
Amen.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now Henry really is mastering the pathetic look....Poor guy..Zhanna, please think positive, ok? Let's pray that the rest will heal him, and even if he needs to stay on rest a bit longer, to avoid surgery, it would be worth it....Hugs to you both, and stay positive

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I was told by two orthopedic surgeon's that a torn ACL will not heal itself.  Now, maybe I misunderstood but I was just passing on what I remembered with my two experiences.

Now I do believe in divine intervention and that miracles do and can happen.  I will keep Henry and you in my prayers.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I do orthodpedic surgery and yes it is true that a complete tear will not heal itself....A partial tear sometimes can.  But it is for sure a "sometimes"....divine intervention is always a good thing :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed that Henry recovers, and hopefully you guys don't have to go through an ACL tear that requires surgery.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Aww, poor Henry. I'm praying for you Henry! I hope the confinement works...hugs to Henry. He looks so beautiful, haven't seen pics in a while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts