Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday, Henry and Kenny (son) went a little too crazy with the new freedom and Henry started to favor the leg again.

Just got back from the vet.  Henry got an injection of dexamethasone.
We're to rehab slowly.  She (vet) said a short walk daily for a week, then twice daily for a week, then three times daily for a week.
No boxer burns for at least another month. :roll:
Can go potty off leash, but shouldn't be left to roam the yard alone for fear of too much running/burning.
She also said to start on a joint supplement.  Any suggestions there?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely get the soft chews Zhanna, Samson loves those :) And the link that Sharon gave you has the best prices I have found as well...Fast delivery too

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but just wondering if this type of product is something that would be great to have any of our boxers on and prevention of joint problems?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
No, just keep him on the leash outside.  I wouldn't even trust mine to go potty off leash till they were rehabbed.  How is he doing by the way?  Is he still limping?

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good!  I'm so glad to hear that. I would just slowly increase the exercise.....a little more each day, but do it in two walks.  I would suggest timing the walks so you know how much time it is and increase it by the time each day.  The ortho I used told me that 2 or 3 walks per day was better than one longer one.  Just keep that up until his muscle mass has returned and you will probably get an all clear from the vet.  Then I still kept mine on a long line of 15 feet for a couple of more weeks to manage the running.  They don't realize they have been hurt and their muscles are weak form the down time.  Hope all things continue to be well for you and Henry!

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes.  Have been doing timed walks.  Since doc said one a day, then two etc., that's what's been happening.  Little timed walk once a day.  Monday we start two-a-days (sounds like football :lol: ), then the next Monday we'll start three-a-days.  He's really doing well.
Thanks! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts