Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most Boxer owners know,our fur babies love eating most anyth they can put in the mouth. That’s was the case with my boy Henry. He is 3 1/2yrs old and some where got a hospital footy sock. Long and short, he was caught throwing it up before he could re-swallow it.
He continued to have a few bouts of more than normal salivating. Our vet looked him over,took an X-ray and said he couldn’t see anything other than his last meal. We where sent home with stomach meds and told if the vomiting continued to bring him back and he would do another X-ray when his stomach was empty.
it’s been three plus weeks and all seems well except on several mornings he wakes up salavating,repeatedly swallowing and acting as if he were going to puke.
Has anyone had this type of behavior, and if so what did you do. My next step would be another trip to the vet.....just don’t think it will be of much help.
Anyone,with suggestions please feel free to give your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sometimes it could be something as simple as an empty stomach. Found out from this board and my vet that because I was feeding his last meal pretty early in the day, by the next morning his stomach would be so empty it would cause nausea. I just thought it was him being a puppy and having too much saliva in his mouth overnight. Now I just give some freeze dried treats before we go to bed at night and he never had another episode .

Not sure if thats the case with your guy though as he is 3 1/2, unless this is something he has done since he was a pup?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes it could be something as simple as an empty stomach. Found out from this board and my vet that because I was feeding his last meal pretty early in the day, by the next morning his stomach would be so empty it would cause nausea. I just thought it was him being a puppy and having too much saliva in his mouth overnight. Now I just give some freeze dried treats before we go to bed at night and he never had another episode .

Not sure if thats the case with your guy though as he is 3 1/2, unless this is something he has done since he was a pup?
You might be on to something. After the hospital footy came up sand he was still having issues we were concerned he at something else. I would think if that was the case surely it would have come out either front or back door. Henry is constantly hungry and gets his last meal between 5:30 and 6:30. I will try feeding some snacks before his bedtime.
you mentionedfreeze dried treats? I don’t recall ever trying them. I will look into those as well.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I know with my guy it was always in the morning either in bed or right after we got up. I hope thats all it is for your guy. I was feeding my guys last meal at 4:30.

Really any food will work, treat, kibble etc. I just happen to use Acana treats which are single protein freeze dried.

Good luck!(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know with my guy it was always in the morning either in bed or right after we got up. I hope thats all it is for your guy. I was feeding my guys last meal at 4:30.

Really any food will work, treat, kibble etc. I just happen to use Acana treats which are single protein freeze dried.

Good luck!(y)
Thank you! Crossing my fingers...🤞🏻

·
Registered
516 Posts
I agree with Matt sometimes its the length of time between meals that gives them nausea in the mornings. I am concerned though this all started after the sock incident? You said you have had him rechecked as well for foreign body? Do you think he may have eaten anything else? I feed my dogs 2 times a day and they get just plain old small milk bones for treats they do well with that they get those in the middle of the day and one before bed. Sometimes I hear people a lot on here use probiotics for their dogs there are several on the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts