Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, at almost 6 months Ashley has gotten the hang of going to the back door, and gently pawing at the blinds to rattle them to go potty. In the past week or two, she has decided I am either the handy dandy revolving door person, or finds some great amusement in pawing at the door, and when she sees me..she will walk away, and not go out! Little devil!
Now knowing this is her "signal" that is potty time, I need suggestions on how to stop this foolishness of me running to the door, and her walking away..( I think I see her grin sometimes ), because she has gotten me to get up, or run from another part of the house. I do NOT wish to lose this as a training tool to keep her housebroken, so what do I do? I don't know if I need to lead her out when she does this, to show her..that she is going to go OUT when she rattles the blinds..or do I humor her at MY expense, and just ignore this behaviour at the expense of maybe cleaning up a piddle puddle in a few minutes.
I will let you all know, she started doing this to me when she was at the door, and was standing there with one of her toys, and when I took the toy away ( the are not outside toys! ) she then seemed to decide she "really" didn't have to go out...Grrrr this pup is gonna drive me to drink!!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I don't know the answer, I'm just laughing....sorry.  These guys are really so smart aren't they!  

If it were me though, I'd probably lead her outside every time, even if she just comes back in.  That's what I did with the bell training for Tango.  Even if he played with it, I sent him out and said "good boy...pee-pee outside"!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
When my dogs rang the bells regardless if they ran away - that was the sign the bells rang and they went out.  Even if they did not go.   Yes, sometimes you are like a jack in the box but to teach them I always associated with ring the bell, go out.

IMO if she does that, then you go to the door, if she runs away, then IMO you said your phrase (mine is lets go, pee and poop) retared I know, but I would grab their collar and take them out - even if its a false alarm.  Mr. Nibs open the door - hence why we always have to keep it locked.   So if he jumps on the door lever - he has to go out.  Even if its been 30 minutes since he last went out, I would IMO rather get up off my butt and take him out then clean up an accident.

Plus they get to be brats - trust me!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew, I am glad to hear this. I did start going after her, and Making her go outside, even IF she just stood there looking in the window, butI was afraid I was being a bad mommy to her by forcing this. I am thinking..if I do it enough times, just like everything else, she will realize batting the door, is going to GET her out, and maybe she will start associating it again with potty time. <sheesh>

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I agree. If she asks to go out, make her go out. I always say, "Let's go potty."

Little rascal!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Before the yard was fenced, Angel was doing that to me as well Linda..But I would rather be interupted than have accidents, so as much as I would moan and complain, I got up and leashed her to take her out....But definitely, if she does that and then decides she REALLY didn't have to go, I would take her out, just as a reminder to her...Oh the games our babies play with us :lol:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I feel your frustration. Harleigh does this with ringing her bell. I live on the second floor of a Triplex and it's annoyging because I can't just open the door and let her go outside. I would do that anytime. It's an ordeal taking her out. Put shoes on, put leash on, walk her down 2 flight of steps and into the back yard. I would kill to be on the first floor.

I will say though I made the mistake of ignoring some of her rings because I had swore I just took her out and that she didn't really have to go potty, to turn around and almost stepping in a piddle puddle. :roll:  So don't make that mistake

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
[quote="My_Harleigh\";p=\"121125":15ir269q]I feel your frustration. Harleigh does this with ringing her bell. I live on the second floor of a Triplex and it's annoyging because I can't just open the door and let her go outside. I would do that anytime. It's an ordeal taking her out. Put shoes on, put leash on, walk her down 2 flight of steps and into the back yard. I would kill to be on the first floor.

I will say though I made the mistake of ignoring some of her rings because I had swore I just took her out and that she didn't really have to go potty, to turn around and almost stepping in a piddle puddle. :roll:

·
Registered
236 Posts
To me it sounds like your on the right track. Just making the little toot go out since she gave her signal. But I have to say....she sounds so funny! Lil smarty pants!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts