Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how did you do it?
everyone has their own way of doing things and i am simply curious. now, i've had dogs my entire life but it's been a long time since i had a puppy. i forgot how much work they can be.

anyway, i'm not a big fan of putting dogs in crates. i know a lot of people house train that way but i don't.
basically, during the day, my wife takes him out first thing in the morning when she gets up and then during the day, i take him out about every 2 hours
(unless he comes in here and sits in front of me. thats his signal i think. when he does that and i take him out, he goes about 50% of the time.)
i feed him a cup of food in the morning and 3/4 at night(he probably gets 3 dog bisciuts per day as well. i break them into thirds or so for when he goes out. it's his reward) but i leave water down all day except at night. after he eats his evening meal, i really regulate how much he gets. just till he is trained and then it will be water all the time.
so, my wife and i take him out the same door every time. we use the same words and commands.
we've only had him for 7 days now and he is doing pretty good. he pees in the house sometimes and thats what i don't get. he is just now 9 weeks and i think that maybe he's just too young to realize he has to go NOW. i mean, he'll come in and give us the signal and we take him by the door and as we are getting our coat and shoes on, he looks right at us and pees on the rug. if we yell he stops and then we take him out.

now last night he pooped in the house twice but i left for about an hour yesterday and he ate a candle and i think it upset his belly. my wife said you could see the wax in it.

i don't hit him as i am not a fan of that either. we are trying the positive re enforcement on him. if he pees in the house we don't pay him no mind...just clean it up. if we take him out and he goes, well, it's all the "good boy, belly and back rubbing and a treat.
i was taking him over to the spots where he peed in the house and telling him he is bad and then taking him out but i don't think he is old enough to realize why i am yelling at him. AFTER he is house trained and then if he pees in teh house, then i think he will realize.
i figured it would take me 3-5 weeks to break him all the way.

also, he really likes to rough house so we pulled up all his tug toys(he can't quite get the concept of stopping the rough play yet).
so i think we are going to do one thing at a time. after he is house broken all the way, i will get the tug toys back out and teach him how to go from playing rough to being easy WHEN I SAY SO.
he cought my wife on one of her nostrils yesterday with his little needle teeth cause they were playing rough.

none of this is his fault. he don't know that if he gets up in our face it will hurt but i WILL NOT HAVE IT.
i also will not hit the dog...

so i'm just curious as to how you house trained your dog(s) and how long it took.

also, tell you what, when your back is hurting and there is a foot of snow out there and the wind chill is zero, it's hard to get up and get out. i think that is also a reason why he is giving me a hard time. it's ******* cold out there. he comes in and lays in front of the heater vent.
sometimes he will fight us and not want to go out but if we force him out, he goes to the bathroom. i think it's the temperature

---------------
about the back. i had to have surgery a few years back. i have a titanium cage where my L5S1 disc used to be.

oh, and here he is. the 9 week monster, 'Silva'

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Re: hey all. new guy here with a new pup. tips on housebreak

well first hes a cutie...

and taking him out every two hours is good... if he is going a lot in between walks i would try and take him out more often then that... try every hour or so... i know its a pain in the butt, but if you want him to not have accidents until he learns how to hold it longer its really the only way...

and obviously when he goes outside you praise the crap out of him... lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

JessiesMom\";p=\"2666 said:
well first hes a cutie...

and taking him out every two hours is good... if he is going a lot in between walks i would try and take him out more often then that... try every hour or so... i know its a pain in the butt, but if you want him to not have accidents until he learns how to hold it longer its really the only way...

and obviously when he goes outside you praise the crap out of him... lol
he gets lots of praise when he goes out. i really think a lot of this not wanting to go out is the temp and the snow. just the past couple days he has really started to resist when i get the leash. to the point where he will run away. i walk after him trying not to look at him or make like it's a game then i leash him. of course he resists and i give him a yank and he walks a few steps then stops. we have to do that till we get to the door. once he steps out, the snow is about to his chest in our back yard(i live in lorain, just west of cleveland) and it's freezing. just a few days ago when there was no snow on the ground it was easier. the first thing he does when he comes in is run in and sit by the heater vent.
i don't blame him cause i don't want to go out either.

i will try every hour as much as i can possibly take it. it is harder for me to walk around in this much snow...my back really starts to spike. what can i expect from a 9 week old puppy that we have only had for like 8 days?(pretty sure it's 8 days. maybe 9).
anyway, all in all i think he is doing very well.
he is definately head strong. he likes to talk back and when one of us are eating he is really relentless. i usually sit by my wife while she eats so if he starts to get up in her face, i grab him by the collar and put him on the floor.

just a lot for a little guy to learn i guess.

he also went from spending the majority of his time in a cage to having a house to roam. we just bought this house. silva spent the first night here with us. the lady that had him before worked 3rd shift and kept him in the crate all night then all day while she was asleep.
he is probably just adjusting. so am i. it's been 10 years or more since i trained a dog.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your little monster Silva. He is a cutie.
As far as the housebreaking thing..
At 9 weeks puppies have no control over their potty skills. When they have to go, they have to go. They have no bladder control. I know you said you don't like crates, but they would help you tremendously for housebreaking and other things. Other things being.. chewed couches, wires, papers, magazines, toilet paper, baseboards....you see where I'm going here. You already said Silva ate a candle when you were away. Boxers are chewers. When they get bored, they will get into things that they shouldn't. A crate will keep Silva safe while you are away and also give you peace of mind knowing that your house is safe. Also, a puppy usually will not soil where they sleep. So, if they are sleeping in a crate that becomes their "den" and they tend not to go potty in their den.
If you still choose not to use a crate, do not let Silva out of your sight. Keep him on a leash attached to you. Dogs will generally go to another room to go to the potty. If he is attached to you, then you will see the signs that he needs to go out.
It is good that you take him out the same door everytime and that you and your wife use the same commands with him. You might even try bell training. A lot of people have good results with that. Just hang a bell over your doorknob, and have him jingle it every time he needs to go out.
I am sure the weather has a lot to do with him not wanting to go outside. When he does pee or poop in the house, don't yell at him. All this will do is tell him you don't want to see him peeing in the house so he will find another place out of your view to go. Instead when he does pee or poop get a paper towel, soak up some pee or pick up the poop. Take the paper towel outside and place it where you want him to do his business. Then use your commands..."go potty" "pee pee" whatever you are training with and show him where you want him to go and take him to that same place every time. Consistency is the key. He will learn, just remember he is very young and can't control his bladder yet.
On the playing rough. Well, boxers like to box. They do play rough. They need a lot of exercise. The saying is so true, "a tired boxer is a good boxer." There little brains also need to be stimulated. They are workers, they need to have a job to do. Proper training is essential to living a happy life with a boxer.
I wish you luck with this all. Puppies are a lot of work. Keep us updated on how Silva is doing and feel free to ask any questions on this forum. There are a bunch of great and knowledgeable people on here.  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Welcome to the forum.. Your Silva is a cutie for sure...Sounds to me that you are doing a lot of things right, but I also think I would take him out more.. No doubt because of the cold, just like you don't want to go out, neither does he....Samson has issues with the rain big time, but never the cold.. Having said that, puppies are different..Keep taking him out and he will start to realize that it's better to get praise than get the cold shoulder...I wouldn't yell at him at all for making mistakes in the house...Dogs, puppies, either one forget really fast so scolding them for something, unless you truly catch them in the act serves no purpose at all.....
As far as the rough housing, be consistent..When I brought Buck home at 10 wks, he used to like to nip my fingers, it took me barely 2 days to break him of that. All I did was lightly tap that nose & say "no".. My ex started playing with him and they would get rough, even as a puppy, however we did teach Buck that when playtime was over, it was over.. That also didn't take long...When they were done, usually I would call him over to me & Buck always knew that meant play time was over as you never bite Momma...Lol.. it worked..Even after we brought Tia home and all three would be wrestling.. All I had to do was say "ok guys, that's enuf" and the play stopped....Find cues that work for you & use them consistently...
Hope this was some help... Ahh the joy of puppyhood..... :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

Welcome to the forum! :)
I agree with the others.  He is still really young.  We took Henry out every hour for the first couple of weeks, then gradually moved up the time.  Now he just goes to the door when he needs to go out.  He also has to be forced to go outside when it's raining.  He HATES getting wet!  After he's been shoved out the door, he runs around like crazy trying to figure out where to "go" then gets it over with as quickly as possible.
Good luck!
Zhanna

·
Registered
26 Posts

Please continue using the positive reinforcement. Punishing him for peeing in the house won't get you anywhere, and can actually make housebreaking harder. Like it was said, he doesn't have control yet. If you do catch him peeing in the house, the best thing to do is quietly pick him up and take him outside where you want him to pee, and hopefully he'll pee there...and reward him with treats and praise.

I initially used a crate myself to help housebreak, and to also keep my girl out of trouble...such as eating things she shouldn't, esp while at work or when I couldn't watch her. As she grew older and was house broke, I gradually allowed her more freedom, and now, I no longer use her crate at all. But I do have it in case I would ever have to confine her for any reason.

Most definitely keep him in sight all the time. If he makes a mess in the house, it's your fault for not watching close enough. Quitely take him outside to finish if possible, clean the mess up and use something made for removing odor, or a mild bleach and water solution on vinyl floors.
Taking him to the "mess" he made and saying no does nothing at all because they can't understand what they did wrong. Dogs don't think that way.

Once a dog is fully housebroke, if they do make a "mess" in the house, many times, it's because there's something wrong. Upset stomach, UTI...etc. Don't punish.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I sympathize with your puppy and the cold weather.. I also have a new puppy and me and my fiance are starting the potty training processes.. luckily we both have tons of patience were Roxi is concerned so her recent accident on the couch was handled very smoothly... we're using a consistent deep no when we catch her in the act followed by taking her outside and praising her a lot when she finishes up outdoors.
I plan on getting a crate and using that as a tool not only for training but to keep her safe those few instances that we can't be with her... I never liked the idea of using a crate but after reading the useful tips of other boxer lovers I feel it would be helpful... I plan on continuing letting her sleep with us that seems to help with night time potty-ing
well good luck to you and good luck to me  ;)

o.. saddly I seem to have missed the pictures

1 - 8 of 8 Posts