Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Luvmiboxers@6 
#1 ·
Hey y'all! I was in this group many years ago, but somehow lost touch with it. We've raised 2 boxers, and it's the ONLY breed for this girl. We recently lost our rescue, Phee - and I am devasted. A few days before Christmas, we took her out to go potty, she took 2 steps, collapsed, and was gone - just like that. It was HORRIBLE. She was doing zoomies that day - healthy as a horse, or so we thought. Our vet thinks it was a catastrophic cardiac event - but we'll never know for sure, and that HAUNTS me to no end. Constant guilt - was there something I missed? Should I not have known? Many sleepless nights, and endless tears, sigh. She was @ 9-10, being a rescue, we never knew for sure. But she was my shadow and the pain has been unbearable.

So, here we are - present day. A dear family friend introduced me to an amazing breeder - you know, the kind that comes along once in a lifetime. Gorgeous champion dogs (not that that's my thing), health tested, raised as family members. We spent this weekend getting to know Momma, Daddy, Aunt, Uncle, and the 7 amazing puppies.

We planned on taking one, but when she told us she wasn't comfortable with another person who was on the "list" and she gave them the boot, we decided to take 2 - brother & sister. Cannot wait and so excited, but also a bit nervous. I am reading things like "if you take 2, they'll bond with each other and not with you" and that training will be a nightmare.

Anyone have any experience with this? We own our own business, and our dogs are almost always with us - they come to work with us almost every day. Our kids are grown and gone, so it's just us. We are lifetime owners, as it should be with EVERY dog, EVERY time.

Open to any and all advice - we want to raise 2 loving, and well trained boxers :). Thanks so much, and happy to be back in the group! ~ Elaine

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Elaine! Welcome back! I'm fairly new here and have only had 2 dogs my entire life (30 years apart) so I am zero help with your question. I just want to say those puppies are GORGOUS! You are so lucky! We lost Diesel (our boxer) in March of 2019 and are somewhat patiently waiting for our new Boxer (hope to share some good news soon!)
This board is a great place for fellow Boxer lovers.
Nice to meet you,
Rick

#5 ·
Rick, thank you sooo much for that! Yes, losing her really rocked my world. I can never replace her, but I am so ready for some doggie love in my life again. And, it really happens when you least expect it - hope that happens to you again soon - I am sure it will :).

#6 ·
Thank you - she did, that's for sure, but it's never long enough. She came to us battered, bruised, and neglected, and I am so thankful we got almost 6 years to show her what real love is - and she knew it, that is for sure. I still miss her so much it hurts.

#4 ·
1st sorry for your loss.

I have never had more than one dog at once but know a couple people who have siblings that are trained exceptionally well. From what I understand how they trained was everything was done separately. Feeding, training, walking until they felt the dogs were trained individually to what they expected. The issue from what I have been told is that one dog could just cue off the other if you do everything at the same time. Basically it would look like your dogs are trained until they are separated for whatever reason.

Congrats on your new addition.

#7 ·
Thanks, Matt! Yes, I've been reading that - kinda scary, but we plan to do it right. Our breeder is also a professional trainer, so I know she'll be a huge help - but she is 7 hours away! I have already reached out to a few trainers here, as well. Still searching for names - tough! So far, in the lead is "Captain and Morgan", LOL. We live at the beach and are big boaters, sooooo.....

#9 ·
First welcome aboard ... uh again and sorry for your lost. And yeah that sound's like an disclosed heart issue. It's a "Boxer," and sadly it happens a lot! :(

Moving on "Two Puppies at once??" Yeah not a good idea but "you know that!" So don't fall into the 'standard, trap's," and you should be fine.

See here:

#11 ·
First welcome aboard ... uh again and sorry for your lost. And yeah that sound's like an disclosed heart issue. It's a "Boxer," and sadly it happens a lot! :(

Moving on "Two Puppies at once??" Yeah not a good idea but "you know that!" So don't fall into the 'standard, trap's," and you should be fine.

See here:
Thanks so much, Chip!

#10 ·
I am sorry you lost your dog that way it does sound like cardiac they get arrhythmias and the heart can't straighten itself out and they can and do drop dead that's why is always best to get a dog whose parents are ARVC tested which I am sure you know, I know you rescued this dog so there was no way to know ahead of time this was happening. This was not your fault. I am glad when you went looking for pups you got them from a breeder who was testing that's a good start! The puppies are adorable too. But Oh how we forget how much work puppies are in between dogs!! But they are worth it. I have two Boxers now they share the same sire and they are a year apart so I didn't have two babies at once but I have always had two dogs at a time. I would suggest doing the training with them separately until they "get it" because one will distract the other from their lessons. I don't feed my dogs separately yes they have their own bowls but they eat at the same time no problems there and we do our walks together. They play together and keep each other entertained so there are advantages to it. They are not the same sex are they? I hope you keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing. It helps the puppies will be going to work with you so you can work with them all day. I have never let my dogs resource guard their food or toys and its best to start that right away. Good luck!

#12 ·
Hey there - thank you so much for all of that :). Yes, she's a fabulous breeder - the whole 9 yards. I'd never get 2 of the same sex - they're brother and sister. Your advice is just what I've been reading - spot on! I agree that I do want to feed them at the same time, but train separately, and together.Already in touch with a trainer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.