Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was locked out due to password issues I think it's finally resolved. I think Cooper is a boxer mix because he has huge paws and he's mostly black, which I read is not a natural boxer color.Eventually we may do a DNA out of curiosity and possible potential health issues. If anyone has any ideas on how I can get Coop to come when called. It's hit or miss with him, mostly miss so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Looking forward to any suggestions.
As soon as I can figure out how to upload a pic Cooper wii make an appearance.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was locked out due to password issues I think it's finally resolved. I think Cooper is a boxer mix because he has huge paws and he's mostly black, which I read is not a natural boxer color.Eventually we may do a DNA out of curiosity and possible potential health issues. If anyone has any ideas on how I can get Coop to come when called. It's hit or miss with him, mostly miss so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Looking forward to any suggestions.
As soon as I can figure out how to upload a pic Cooper wii make an appearance.
How old is cooper? Is he food driven? Does he listen in a house or yard where there is minimal distraction?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I have found that when teaching recall, or coming when called its best to always have a long thin lead on him, when he comes to you get super excited and praise him. I also found this on the internet that may help and you can tweet the style ..I'm not a clicker person...So I do the happy part when my dogs comes https://clickertraining.com/node/309
Its also good to remember that when your dog doesn't come and you finally get it to you don't get mad at it or it will associate your unhappiness with it coming to you. Do baby seps i distance. I'm no trainer....but thats what I do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooper is 5 1/2 months I've had him for a little over a month now and have been with him just about 24 7 since we rehomed him. I train him for about an hour per day total broke up in two sessions. I use treats and praise and show different levels of excitement in my voice depending on what he did. He picks up things quickly, this seems to be more of a battle of wills. Indoors no problem,I live surrounded by farms, so outside I have a lead attached to him while he runs around and that's when I have trouble with the recall. Thanks for your advice I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Alright... so for a week only call him when you have a treat to give.. make it something really good (steak, chicken, a treat he really really likes)
Also give your recall a name(ie: come, here, steak... whatever..lol)
For the first week indoors when your training give the command and as soon as he comes pay him with a treat. Do it every single time.
If you don't have a reward.. don't use the command. After a nice solid week of it indoors you can start small outside.
So, attach your lead, wait for him to move a just a few feet then give the command and pay him with a treat. Same as when you were indoors, no treat, no command.
Start small and build up. If you pay in every time within a few weeks you should have alot less problem with his recall.
If any of that doesn't make since let me known!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Definitely follow what bte said.

I will say some boxers like my guy are fantastic when there are no distractions, but off leash have pretty bad recall. lol

I tried for the last 2 years to get a good recall off leash. Literally tried everything. He is very food driven but off leash when there is a distraction he could care less about any food. He just wanted to investigate. As a last resort(for his safety) I got a mini educator. After a week of using it I got 99% recall no matter the distraction.

I will say to only use this as a last resort. And if you get to that point, watch videos on youtube how to correctly use it. I probably watched a couple hours worth before I even purchased it. Larry Krohn does a very good series of video of step by step instructions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your advise.He is treat driven, so to always reward the command for a few weeks makes a lot of sense and I'll start immediately. I'm more concerned with him running into the woods with all the hunters in this area. Thanks again. I'll let you know how I make out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt 74, I had a chance to look at a video by Krohn. My fist thought that in the hands of a knowledgeable person it could be a great tool. About 45 years ago I had an I W puppy, a trainer recommended " The Kholer method of dog training ". In today's pet rearing world that book and its bizarre techniques would be judged harshly. I'm glad that there are forums where people share their knowledge and experiences and help others get resources they may need. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts