Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Kate and husband and I are the new owners of a 2 yr old boxer, Kane. :D   I was told he was rescued from a bad home and we are greatful to have him.  Our reason for picking a boxer is two-fold, or maybe three fold.  First we've always been dog lovers, but the strange thing is we always owned and showed Afghan Hounds -big change to boxers.  Second my son owned two wonderful boxers that passed on and he's never gotten over that.  And that son has come back home to live (following a divorce) and a year ago I nearly lost my husband to a cardiac arrest.  Following a long recovery and the fact that he suffered brain damage (memory loss)  due to lack of oxygen during the attack - it has become my goal in life to figure out a way to get my husband out of bed - and the house to exercise and get his life back to normal  :idea: ... blah blah blah... (my apologies for going on and on) so I bought Kane 4 days ago and have quickly learned that I am not the dog expert I thought I was.   :oops:   So I am thrilled to find this forum and hope to learn all the things I need to know to give Kane a happy home.

However,  Hubby's out walking several times a day!!!! That's a minor miracle.  Son's smiling again.   :lol: That's progress... so glad to meet you all and enjoy your beautiful little miracles.  Only problem I seem to have right now is Kane's impatience with being ignored while I'm on the computer. Do I have to buy him a friend too! :roll:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
No need to buy him a friend with all the people in your house, although Boxers do wonderfully with a campanion.  Have you thought of training your Boxer for Service Dog work with your husband?  My Lilly, check out my siggy, is my Hearing Service Dog.  She is awesome at her job and is my shadow!!!

I am a dog trainer and everyone here has lots of great advice and an extraoridinary amount of Boxer and general dog knowledge.  samsonsmom has dubbed me as "the resident dog trainer" (lol).  We are all here to help and we LOVE pictures!!!  LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!!!  Your baby is beautiful!!!  Welcome to the wonderful world of Boxers and congratulations on becoming Boxer parents!!!!

Welcome to the board and enjoy!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kane is a cutie, I have one white "checked" boxer named harley, although i have been a  boxer owner on and off for nearly 12 yrs.
how great you rescued him. hopefully he will help tremendously with your husband and son, as well as yourself. boxers rely alot of humans for compainship, and tend to have seperation anxiety as well. (some not all) since they are so attached to us. im no expert by far, just general experience with them is all. cant wait to see more pics, and Harley also says welcome to the group!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments.  I would love to train Kane as a therapy/service dog.  I've already taken him to the nursing home to visit my parents and the residents there loved him and he ate up the attention, I just worried he'd decide to stand up and give some frail little soul the hugging/licking of their life.  He's a very loving and gentle soul.  Any advice or direction you could give me would be great.  Lilly is a beauty and I appreciate the time you took to respond.  I live in Salt Lake City and I'm sure there are trainers around, but how do you find the good ones and what kind of leads do you recommend for serious training.  Kane knows sit (for 2 seconds) and down for about the same amount of time.  Again many thanks Summer, Liz and Lizzy.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I just posted up tips for finding a good dog trainer!!!  Check it out and let me know if you need help!!!  I have lots of contacts and may be able to help steer you in a good direction!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi Kate, welcome to you and your lovely boy Kane, he's gorgous...You have had a lot happen to you and your family recently, my sympathies to all of you...A boxer sure will bring some smiles to everyone, I can tell you that..Hoe great also that your hubby is up and walking, nothing like an energetic boxer to get you going!..Kudos to you for rescuing, ther ear ea lot of us on here that have gotten our babies that way and they are the most awesome friends...

Lol at Kane getting impatient when you are on the puter too long...Samson gives me the boxer stare when he feels I have ignored him too long..Angel just tries to get in my lap.. :lol: Boxers are like Lay's Potato Chips, it's hard to have just one, but as you just brought Kane home, I'd give him a bit before bringing home a buddy for him..

How awesome that you are able to take Kane to the nursing home, sounds like he may have a career in therapy work..I may be wrong, Lillyzmomma can answer this one, but I'm thinking that obedience classes have to come first before any therapy work? But how rewarding that would be and sounds like Kane is on his way already!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yes!!!  Obedience classes and then the CGC and teh certification.  It takes lots of training, but it is rewarding.  Lilly is an S.D. and a Therapy Dog.  She thinks the therapy work is her "off-duty" time.  She loves it.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.  I'll help any way I can.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas!
Sorry to hear of  your recent difficulties.
Henry was a rescue also, but he was only 12 weeks when we got him.
This forum is very helpful, you'll get lots of help here. :D
Zhanna

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello and welcome!!!  Congrats on rescuing Kane!!!  I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, so sorry to hear about your husband.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello and welcome. Your Kane is handsome. Im sorry to hear about everything.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome!  :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts