Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is our almost 2 year old boxer! He is so much fun and has such a character!
I was curious to know what others feed their boxers? We have tried a few different types and now we are trying Acana wild coast as we think he has an allergy to chicken, and we are not quite at the point where we want to go to raw foods due to the cost. So was just curious what others thought
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum, who a handsome fellow you have. Acana is a great food, too pricey for me but I use Victor Foods. From what I've read on this forum lots of boxers seem to have allergies to chicken kibble.I imagine it will take about 4 weeks before you notice.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I do a rotation on the Acana singles. Pork & Squash, Duck & Pear, Lamb & Apple. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! I hope it works my not so little pup has been having really soft stools on and off... frustrating for him and us to pick up. We tried him with a lamb and he refused to eat it... lol I don't blame him though I don't like lamb Haha
I'm really hoping we see a difference by removing the chicken food.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I do a rotation on the Acana singles. Pork & Squash, Duck & Pear, Lamb & Apple. I have no complaints.
What is the "Rotation thing???"

I have head of it but my understanding is kinda fuzzy?? Plus you know ... I'm kinda lazy ... it's a lot easier to just "Ask" someone that does it. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What is the "Rotation thing???"

I have head of it but my understanding is kinda fuzzy?? Plus you know ... I'm kinda lazy ... it's a lot easier to just "Ask" someone that does it. :)
I don't know if there is a set rule, I just do my own thing of changing it up every 3 months. 1 bag lasts a little under a month. I don't have to do the percentage thing because its all from Acana, so I can switch to a different bag and there is no change in his stool. At least thats what I found. I figure I get him used to a couple different proteins and this way he doesn't become a picky eater. lol Also the pet store by me sometimes might run out of the one protein, so I can seamlessly switch over to a different one without any worries.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I don't know if there is a set rule, I just do my own thing of changing it up every 3 months. 1 bag lasts a little under a month. I don't have to do the percentage thing because its all from Acana, so I can switch to a different bag and there is no change in his stool. At least thats what I found. I figure I get him used to a couple different proteins and this way he doesn't become a picky eater. lol Also the pet store by me sometimes might run out of the one protein, so I can seamlessly switch over to a different one without any worries.
LOL, Ok thanks ... I did that with Kirkland's Natures Domain Grain Free formula!

I just called it Red Bag, Blue Bag and Yellow Bag! All grain free but different sources of protein! Struddell never cared and Rocky did fine on all of them?? So his issue seemed to be just the grain and not the source of protein??

As for the Raw diet?? To much for me ... but I know stuff.:)

Still it would be nice if someone that feeds a raw diet ... would give there observations on the "itching issues" with there dogs??

Struddell, never had an issue?? Most likely I could have fed her Old Roy from Walmart and she'd have been fine?? And I don't think you can do worst than that stuff???

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
LOL, Ok thanks ... I did that with Kirkland's Natures Domain Grain Free formula!

I just called it Red Bag, Blue Bag and Yellow Bag! All grain free but different sources of protein! Struddell never cared and Rocky did fine on all of them?? So his issue seemed to be just the grain and not the source of protein??

As for the Raw diet?? To much for me ... but I know stuff.:)

Still it would be nice if someone that feeds a raw diet ... would give there observations on the "itching issues" with there dogs??

Struddell, never had an issue?? Most likely I could have fed her Old Roy from Walmart and she'd have been fine?? And I don't think you can do worst than that stuff???
I only had 2 minor skin issues, but they happened in his late 1st year. I'm pretty sure it was probably just hormone related. They popped up out of nowhere, then cleared up after a month or two. One was bumps on his cheeks, the other was small bumps and hair loss on the lower part of his neck between the shoulder blades.

He does get the yeast in the nail bed, but thats environmental and for him it clears up with an apple cider vinegar rinse.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I only had 2 minor skin issues, but they happened in his late 1st year. I'm pretty sure it was probably just hormone related. They popped up out of nowhere, then cleared up after a month or two. One was bumps on his cheeks, the other was small bumps and hair loss on the lower part of his neck between the shoulder blades.

He does get the yeast in the nail bed, but thats environmental and for him it clears up with an apple cider vinegar rinse.
Most likely the Apple Cider Vinegar is a great plan as soon as one notices an itchy paw issue??

I did see something" with my guys every now and then?? But it never got back enough for any real notice from me.

But if one has "paw damage" bad enough to get serious redness or open wounds??? This stuff works great!

https://www.well-horse.com/

Horse stuff, but it works great on people and dogs also ... Horse stuff, who knew. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Most likely the Apple Cider Vinegar is a great plan as soon as one notices an itchy paw issue??

I did see something" with my guys every now and then?? But it never got back enough for any real notice from me.

But if one has "paw damage" bad enough to get serious redness or open wounds??? This stuff works great!

https://www.well-horse.com/

Horse stuff, but it works great on people and dogs also ... Horse stuff, who knew. :)
Cool. Never saw that before. I just use Mushers Secret once a day in the morning to protect his pads. Don't think its a healing thing, more of a preventative product.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Cool. Never saw that before. I just use Mushers Secret once a day in the morning to protect his pads. Don't think its a healing thing, more of a preventative product.
I have heard of "Musher's Secret!"

I was going to use it to protect Rocky's feet from "Snow Melt" this winter ... but sigh, it's not needed now ...

But on the open desert, lots of sand and rough rocks and stuff even Struddell with her "Tiny Boxer Feet:" never had an issue?? I was going to use the Musher's in the winter to protect Rocky's feet from Snow Melt on the sidewalks! Everyone uses that stuff (Snow Melt) in winter time around here.

I never looked at it however so I don't know of it's other uses??? Aw well at any rate ... I got "Big Plans" for my next Boxer!! She's gonna ware Doggels :
https://woof.doggles.com/en_US/shop-for-dogs/eyewear/dgor-doggles-originalz

and Boots in the open desert! And maybe a Como Harness??? That's my plan anyway ... I'll have to see how that "crap" goes. :)

Ops that should have been a Camo Harness. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Is the only issue soft stools or is he having skin issues? If it’s just soft stools, look into adding a digestive enzyme and probiotic daily to his meals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts