Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

HI EVERYBODY WE'RE NEW!

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Michelle 
#1 ·
HEY, JUST GOT MY NEW PUP YESTERDAY HIS NAME IS BROGAN AND HES 6 1/2 WEEKS AND LET ME TELL YOU HES A LITTLE PEE FOUTAIN  ON THE CARPET AND "BARKER" WHEN HES IN HIS CRATE HES USED THE PAPER BUT AS SOON AS HE STARTS RUNNING ON THE CARPET HE PEES I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO I'VE CLEANED IT WITH PET STAIN REMOVER HOPEFULLY HE GROWS OUT OF IT SOON,ANY SUGGESTIONS? ANYWAYS IM SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS SITE IT HAS HELPED ALOT

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi and welcome!! Brogan is such a little sweetie and I love that name!

My only suggestion would be take him out every chance you get!! We have a 9 week old pup and after everything we go outside to potty..after eating, playing, sleeping etc. Also when she goes outside we praise, praise, praise. Good luck with it and I'm sure he'll catch on, sooner or later  :)

#4 ·
Hi and welcome to the forums!  :D
At 6 1/2 weeks your puppy has no bladder control so you just need to take him out a lot!! Like everyone before me said, invest in some Bounty!!  :p

#5 ·
Welcome!
He is so adorable with his cute boxer puppy head!
Im surprised hes so vocal bc I read somewhere Boxers are generally quiet (and Zuri only barks at her playmate Mo)
I have my baby pretty much crate trained and the same thing happened to me with the whole carpeting thing.
Zuri was a bit older than he is when I rescued her, but I think crate training and confinment to a puppy proof area with paper and no carpet is your best bet and taking him out frequently as they said!
Congrats and good luck with your handsome lil guy!

#6 ·
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE..WE HAVE ALREADY STOCKED UP ON THE PAPER TOWELS. I JUST WENT OUT AND BOUGHT ONE OF THE KONGS, FILLED IT WITH PB HE LOVES IT ALREADY LOL. AND WITH THE BARKING HE JUST DOES IT WHEN HES IN HIS KENNEL.I TAKE HIM OUT WHEN HE STOPS FOR A FEW SECS..THE NEIGHBORS ARE GUNNA LOVES US...LOL

#7 ·
Welcome! The best thing is taking him out all the time.  We never trained with paper, just always made sure they were taken out all the time.  They still had some accidents but get better the older they are.

#8 ·
Welcome and cute pup.    Believe it or not......mine was right at 7 weeks when I got her and she never had an indoor accident.   She never was caged and ran loose in a nice home.   It took a tremendous amount of work on my part (which I gladly did) but I would take her outside every 30 minutes and right after she took a drink also.   This built a foundation where she new where she had to go.   By 3 months old she would go and sit at the front door to let me know it was time.   If I didn't see her by the door,  she would come find me and sit in front of me staring the whole time.  

I wouldn't let her have any water right before bed time and made her go outside right before bed.   For about a month I set the alarm for 3 in the morning to take her out for a potty break.   After that she made it thru the night.    She sleeps at the foot of the bed and doesn't move until I wake up in the morning, then I take her out immediately.  

It has been a lot of work but well worth it.   They are like little kids and must be treated as such.   Show them the right way and they will reward you with good behavior.  

note:   I have always heard that boy pups are harder to potty train.   I have no experience with the males but know that they too can be trained the same way.  

Great looking pup you have.

#16 ·
Howdy from Texas and welcome!

I've never raised a pup that young, so I'm not sure what to tell you.  Take him out a lot!  Tell him to go potty.  When he goes potty, act like it's the best thing in the world, PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE!  Boxers are really smart, so he'll catch on in no time.

We also  have a jingle bell on a string on the door where he goes out to potty.  When he needs/wants to go out, he rings the bell.

Good luck! :D

#20 ·
Welcome to you both....Yup, lots of patience is a must and constant surveillence...He'll get it, he's very young and like Jennifer said, pups that age do not have control of their bladder.....

#22 ·
Hello & Welcome!  What a little cutie you have there!  I agree with everyone on the potty training.  Just constantly take him outside.  I put down a puppy pad once and Lola shred it into little pieces...so that was the end of that!  I never put paper down.  Just took her outside every hour, after she ate, drank and played.  She woke up in the middle of the night for about the first month and would whine to go outside.  He'll catch on quick!  Good luck and can't wait to see more pictures!

#23 ·
Hello and Welcome,

Take him outside everytime him comes out of his crate. He is very young. Be patient and be consistent. They get so excited to see you and want to play.  If you can contain him into the kitchen with baby gates, until he gets a little older might help you save your carpets.

We to went through that phase two years ago with Mosley, and we came to the conclusion that the carpets must go!  

We have since torn out all of our downstairs carpet and replaced with stone, and have had wool carpet put on the stairs and upstairs hallways.

We are now prepared for the new puppy that arrives next week!  I hope....good luck.

#25 ·
Hello!  It will take some dedication and time before your pup learns.  He is still young.  Tyson did so well at potty training, but we took him out all the time.  And whenever we took him out we always took his paw and scratched the door.  And now he does it all by himself.  We kept an eye on him all the time, if he started to sniff, we ran him outside immediately.  And about the crate, you can't take him out everytime he barks.  I know its not fun to listen to, but he won't learn then.  What Brogan is learning, is that if he barks he know you will come right away.  The first night with Tyson he only barked a few minutes, we ignored him, and he eventually fell asleep.  Now, he goes to bed everynight and we don't hear from him til the morning.  Boxers are super smart.  You just have to be patient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.