Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I am getting a boxer puppy on Sunday from a lady who has bred boxers for 15 years.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hello and welcome to boxer forums!  :D

I've edited your post to remove the link you posted. Please do not post links to puppy brokers or breeders that advertise on the web.

Feel free to read through the puppy section and training forums for some great tips.  A lot of people have just gotten puppies and can be a great help to some of your questions.
Again, welcome and can't wait to see pics of your new pup!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi aquagirl and welcome to you and your new fur baby.  This Forum is full of interesting and helpful people, and I can suggest that you use the search feature at the top of the page to look for posts about all the things you are asking about.  There is a post called Grade you Dog Food you can look at that will tell you how a number of dog foods are rated.  There is a whole section on things such as Training, crates, all the things you need to know to successfully raise a new puppy.  And of course you can always ask if you run into problems.  Good luck browsing the Forum and can't wait to see pictures of your new little one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi & welcome!!
Ditto to all the advice above.  You may also consider reading a book on puppy training & dog behavior.  Get all the supplies prior to getting puppy. Dishes, collars, crates, food, toys etc.
Good luck!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not posting a link to a boxer broker...I was posting the only pic of my baby that I have...I wanted everyone to see my girl...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
the link is what it is...try to save the pic on your comp and then post it...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will be finding another forum...people here are not very helpful like the fish forum I am involved with...sorry guys...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well i am sorry that you dont feel that you are getting much help. the main part of your question can be found in the puppy section. We recently had a new person come on and ask the same question and that has a detailed list of everything everyone thought would work best. I wish you would stay but if you are ready to jump ship after one post i wish you the best of luck on your next forum.

i am sorry i didnt get to see your baby girls- i am sure she was just precious

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sorry to hear that you feel we are not helpful, I beg to differ..We removed the link as we are very passionate about the breed and do not believe in making it easier for puppy mills and BYB's to advertise their wares...It does state in our rules exactly that...

Having said that, I hope you decide to stay, there is a lot of very good people on here and a lot of knowledge to be had..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry that I snapped...I am getting married on Saturday and I kinda sick right now with the stress and I guess I just really don't have time to research more than I have...

I have for her:
collar
leash
bowl
nylabone
4 stuffed animals
a kong
squeeky toy
puppy shampoo
fuminator
treats

will be getting:
crate- 36" i think
food- premium edge...or is there a better one in that price range?
will get her flea meds at 12 weeks- biospot

when should i take her to the vet...within how many days?  she comes with her first shots, first worming...dew claws removed and tail docked...

i will not be cropping her ears...i think it's just too inhumane...if my fiancee had his way, her tail would be long, lol

How best to introduce her to the 8 month old kitten we have?

Here is a pic that I scanned into the computer that the breeder sent me

she is 3 weeks old in that pic

Here is the kitty that she will be living with

and her two "uncles" and her "aunt"  dogs at mom's house

Buster

Simba

Gremlin

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Aquagirl - I'm getting married in May and I'm already stressed so I can only imagine how you feel!  Is your puppy a wedding present?  She's gorgeous, have you thought of a name yet?

Looking at your list, you have pretty much everything you need to welcome her home.  The only thing you might want to add is a towel or something from the breeder (you'll have to ask for one, obviously) that has her mother's scent on it, and you could put this in her bed (possibly wrapped around a hot water bottle) for the first few nights to ease any separation anxiety she may have.

I would take her to the vet within a week, just for a general check-over and to put your own mind at ease.  I'm totally anti-cropping (it's illegal in Ireland anyway), so I agree with your choice there!  The vet will then give you a schedule for all her further vaccinations.  You might also think about getting her microchipped on your first visit.

As for introducing her to your cat, obviously you know the cat's personality best, but I would say to just set them down on the floor together and let them sniff and circle eachother at their own pace.  Just be ready to jump in at any sign of trouble!  I think most people here who have cats say the key to them living successfully with Boxers is just to make sure that the cat has somewhere that's inaccessible to the dog to get some peace from them if needs be.

Oh, and I just thought of one more thing you need to buy before she comes home - mountains and mountains of paper towel!  You'll go through about a thousand rolls between the time you get her and the time she's housetrained!  It's all so, so worth it though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome!
Congrats on the pup and getting married!
As far as crate size, we got one for a dog that will be up to 90 pounds at adulthood.

Good luck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congrats on the wedding, it is a very stressful time.  Glad you decided to stay on.  the people  here a very warm, caring & insightful.
You list looks great.  
One question, why the furminator?   I use it on my lab but never the boxer.
I've never used premium edge or price range.  Alot use Canidae. Petsmarts brand Authority is supposed to be good also.  Check out the food links/forums.
your baby is precious.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Congrats on getting married. I got married on the 21st July. Try not to stress too much you need to make sure you enjoy yourself!  :D
Your pup is so cute. What are you going to call her?

Heather

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am glad you decided to stick around. Congrats on getting married, i could see how that would be stressful :D i agree with honeyec, it sounds like you have things covered. I agree with the towel and water bottle method, it does help the younger pups cope with the transition to the new home. She is BEAUTIFUL!! cant wait to see more pics of her.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome, your puppy is adorable and congratulations on getting married.  You will love it on this forum, everyone here is great.  The only other thing I can add to your list is Natures Miracle.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello & Welcome!  Glad you decided to stick around.  There are really great people on here and always ready & willing to help with great advice!  Congratulations on your new puppy, she's adorable!  And congrats on getting married!!  

Everything you have for her already is good.  Def. get her a crate, I have a 36" at my moms house for when she stays there and a 48" at home.  Both are fine, make sure you get one with a divider so you can minimize her space when she's little, she should have enough room to stand up turn around and sleep comfortably.  That will keep her from going potty in her crate.

I would make a vet appointment as soon as you get her.  I took Lola to the vet 6 days after I got her.  You def want her to get checked out by your vet.  

As for food, here are some of the 2007 Whole Dog Journal list of foods:

-- Blue Buffalo (bluebuff.com)  
-- by Nature BrightLife (bynaturepetfoods.com)
-- by Nature Organics (bynaturepetfoods.com)
-- California Natural (naturapet.com)
-- Canidae (canidae.com)
-- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul  
-- Innova (naturapet.com)
-- Innova Evo (naturapet.com)
-- Merrick Pet Care (merrickpetcare.com)
-- Natural Balance Organic (naturalbalanceinc.com)
-- Natural Balance Ultra Premium (naturalbalanceinc.com)
-- Newman's Own Organics (newmansownorganics.com)
-- Premium Edge (premiumedgepetfood.com)
-- Royal Canin Natural Blend (royalcanin.us)
-- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet (royalcanin.us)

You can find the entire list on here.  I guess you're on the right track with Premium Edge!  I've never heard of it before here so let us know how she does on it!

Good luck with everything!  Can't wait to see more pictures!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got Merlin a 36 inch crate at first, then had to go back and exchange it for a bigger one. He's 65 lbs @ 9 months old. He was having to duck his head to get in.

Also, welcome from Oklahoma and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts