Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and many thanks for accepting me onto this forum. I have been a boxer owner for the last 7 years and will never be without one. We lost our first boxer - Bailey, at the young age of 5 and a half at Christmas 2015 after a short illness. Then in February 2016 we made a big effort to get a really good breed boxer from a very reputable breeder here in Ireland and Bruce arrived on the scene. Hes a beautiful big brindle box with a unique curly tail and huge bone structure. His mum is the current Irish boxer champion and his father won a huge championship in Russia last year. All of his siblings have lived until really good ages hence our reason for buying him. He is now 16 months old and is a real good pet to us along with our other 2 dogs! Unfortunately for the last few months we have had a lot of issues with him having chronic diarrhoea and blood in his stools. It started with just soft stools and developed into watery ones with blood. At the end of January on our first visit to our vet he weighed 31KG (68lbs) which was probably a little lower than what he was before it all started. Last week after a fourth visit to the vet he is down to 27KG (60lbs) and is looking very skinny and boney. So far he has had 2 different antibiotics, steroids, 2 different (VERY EXPENSIVE) prescription foods, stool samples, worm doses, chicken and rice only diet amongst other things but he still is not getting any better. Nothing showed up in his stool samples which we where upset about as it would have been nice to be able to get him starting to get back to normal. Generally he is still in good mood and is eating whatever food we give him and drinking normally too! He still runs around the place playing as normal most of the time with maybe a 10-15% drop in his activity. We are distraught with his weight loss and general wellbeing and really dont know what to do next. Our vet is suggesting we bring him to a veterinary college hospital which will costs us thousands that we dont really have. I am just curious what other options that we might have missed. We haven't done bloods yet but probably will this week. Any information would be massively appreciated. You can have a look at him over on Instagram if you like.

https://www.instagram.com/brucetheirishboxer/

Thanks in advance

Richie

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Take in another stool sample and ask for it to be tested for Giardia as well as send it out for testing to rule out any bacterial infections. Stop the antibiotics for now.

Switch to a raw diet. Start with just chicken necks. Offer 1.5lbs daily to start. Buy a powdered probiotics and digestive enzyme.

Please feel free to message me to continue with raw feeding but keep me posted on how his stools look after 5-7 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get your vet to test for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). My Irish Terrier had this , very hard to diagnose but symptoms include rapid loss of weight, cow pat like poops. As the lady said above you can buy enzymes to mix in their food and it works wonders! There is a lady who sells them on the internet called Enzyme Diane much cheaper than the vet as they can be very expensive.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Years ago my Internal Medicine vet worked with Texas A & M, GI Lab, as consultants for a complicated IBD diagnosis. As a teaching hospital they do lots of consultations. Dr. Steiner is excellent.

Canine Chronic Enteropathy Study - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences

We had the endoscopic exams done that confirmed some of the inflammation was from an auto-immune reaction so we gave Budesonide, but ended up only needing tiny doses of prednisone once we found the right novel protein diet. They gave Baytril in case of HUD. Most of the hyper-allergenic diets failed so we finally had to have a vet formulated diet done specifically for him. That was the answer. They know a lot more then when we went through this. An experienced radiologist can get some valuable information by doing an ultrasound. Those are not too expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for all the replies. Last week we got the results of his bloods and he has not got EPI. In some ways we where hoping that he had as It was quite easy to treat. Now we have to bring him to a Veterinary College Hospital in Dublin (UCD) to try and get to the bottom of the issue. BUT in the last week he has put back on a lot of his weight and is in great form again. Hopefully by the end of next week we will be closer to an answer!

Thanks again

Richie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts