Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Hi from Georgia!

2K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  PhoenixsMom 
#1 ·
I stumbled across this forum tonight and I love it!  We adopted a 5 year old brightly colored brindle boxer named Duke this past July (black mask, white on chest and some toes).  He was a victim of divorce; the woman who had him couldn't afford to keep him after her divorce.  Duke's the runt of his litter, we were told, and is small (fine with us, as we have a small house and yard).  He was very thin when we got him (47 lb.), due to neglect and poor nutrition.  He's now doing great and is up to 57 lb., with a beautiful shiny coat.  We're not wild about his name, but won't change it, due to his age.  He is terrific and knows to defer to our alpha old man black lab, Chipper (11).  He lived with another boxer in his former life, who was also an alpha male, so he's used to playing second fiddle.  He's a typical, happy goofy boxer, and we're already amazed that we lived without him before July.  Even the crotchety old man, Chipper, seems to like him!

We have a travel trailer, and we were worried that he wouldn't be able to adapt to its confines, but he does extremely well when we take him along.  He's a real people pleaser.

His only problem is that he gets cold easily - I'm sure a typical boxer problem, due to thin skin, lack of fat, and lack of a heavy coat.  He's currently laying on his memory foam cushion with a coat on in the house (yes, in the house)!   :roll:  He shivers if it's below 75 degrees!  He loves his coat and doesn't try to get it off.

I look forward to exploring all of the forums on this site!

See less See more
#4 ·
I've never learned to post pics on websites (I guess I'm too old!).  Just picture Yoda from the film Star Wars.  That's what Duke looks like in the face when he perks up his (natural) ears (especially with his black mask).  He's not the best looking boxer on the planet.  We joke that he's so ugly, he's cute!  :)  Some of the pics I've seen on the site so far look like show dogs!

G
#7 ·
Duke sounds like he found a great new home...congrats on your doggie and if you are too worried about him getting cold, you could always dress him up...I love dressing my little girl up...ironically she's the one that gets hot...lol...I can just picture a 57 lb Yoda laying on a memory foam mattress and a jacket...that's a very funny image to me!

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum  :D  Hahahaha Yoda, that's perfect! As I understand it, dogs don't really care about name changes as long as there is LOTS of treats involved in the change over  :lol: Sounds like he's found the perfect forever home. Looking forward to hearing all about your babies :D

#20 ·
Thanks for all of the warm welcomes!  I tried calling Duke "Yoda", but he never warmed up to it (would you???), so Duke, it is.  I've also tried "Wigglebutt", but he's not wild about that either.  Oh well, it's just a name.  One of our favorite quirks of his is his "drool bubble" that forms  out of only one side of his mouth when he really wants some food he can't have.  It's gross, but hilarious.

#25 ·
Thanks.  He's very petite (runt of litter, as I mentioned earlier) but perfect for us.  His only vice is sneaking up on our son's bed when no one's around.  Dogs on furniture is a no-no in our house.  We bought each dog a memory foam bed as an alternative.  Here's another (goofier) picture, now that everyone's seen a normal one!

#26 ·
That is fabulous! What a handsome boy he is!LOL!  Wow...well if his only vice is climbing up on the bed, then you're in good shape! Mine have a tendency to do more then that!(I won't list his here...it would probably take too long!LOL!)

Congrats on posting those pics!  Lots of people won't even try! Good job! :)

Welcome...this is a good place to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.