Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!! Stumbled upon this site a few weeks ago while searching for boxer info.... I am going to look at puppies today (very excited!) have found a good breeder with beautiful dogs.  My gorgeous boxer Kassy died in March and it was devastating for us to have a little person in your life for a long time then suddenly gone (heart attack) was painful, but we finally feel the time is right for us to add another little bundle of joy to our lives!!!
Last night we were talking about the puppy and my husband suggest maybe getting two! I had thought about is but never thought he would go for it!!  Now I don't want to rush into a decision like that. I know it would be great company for the dog, but I don't work so I would be home for company... just not sure... can anyone share their experiences of having two pups? I want to be a good Mum and do the right thing by the dogs and by us, don't want to be overwhelmed!!!!!
Here is a photo of Kassy (hope it works!!)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hello and welcome to the most addicting website ever!
Sorry to hear about your sweetie Kassy. There is plenty of information on the forums esp. regarding two pups. it seems to come up quite often. And you will get a mixed bag ogf opinions :) but that is what makes this a great place. aAgain, welcome from Denver, Colorado.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome from WI; there are many on here that have 2 or more boxers so there is a great source of info.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to Boxer forums!  :)  Sorry to hear about your Kassy. It seems they are never with us long enough. She was a beautiful girl.
Yes there are a few crazy err.... great and very patient members on here that got two boxer pups at the same time!  :lol:  I'm sure they will be happy to fill you in on their experiences. Welcome again!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hello and welcome! sorry to hear about kassy, from her pic though she aged wonderfully and i am sure you gave her the best life possible. As for the two puppies. Well i own two boxers but they one is 2 and one is9months. we had to basically do all training the same for both though because my savannah (2yd old) was not housetrained. I can tell you it is easier on the nerves to train 2 puppies at one time, then doing it with one puppy and then starting over with a new puppy months/years later! BEst of luck with your puppy search, please keep us posted and if you find some post pics :D

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello and Welcome.  So sorry to hear about Kassy, she was a beautiful dog.  No advice here as I only have one, but hope to someday get a brother for Lola!  So I'm all for the more the merrier! Good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry about your loss. Hopefully you'll have another boxer (or two) soon to help with the void it always leaves. Welcome from Oklahoma!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hello and welcome from Salt Lake City.  I'm sorry to hear about your Kassy, but excited that the time has come for you to add a new bundle of joy to your family.  I think having two boxers is a great idea.  They may drive you crazy in some ways, it will be wonderful for them to have a brother or sister to keep them company at night.  Good luck with your choice and be sure to let us know what you decide.  We'll all be looking forward to pictures of your new baby(ies).

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hey and welcome from hawaii

we have 2 dogs...both over 80 pounds haha...one iss Isis all white boxer and one is a pure black lab who swears he is also a boxer haha

its wonderful having 2..they keep eachother company , always have a playmate and they learn to really mesh with eachother..of course i want to add another boxer to the mix haha and i will upon leaving hawaii in 08-09...

good luck and welccome again youll luv it here !!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am truly sorry for the loss of your Kassy, she was a lovely girl, I do love those seniors....Having 2 pups at a time can be a handful, Jeanene could better tell you more as her 2 gorgous guys Mic & Indy are littermates..Definitely work, but I do like having multiple boxers, just never did 2 pups at one time!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Everyone!! Thanks for your replies, nice to meet you all, i'm counting down the hours till I meet the breeder will post pics of the puppies later!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi....your pup picture is gorgeous!  As far as two boxer pups....I have 2!  I have a little girl and a little boy.  We got the girl from a breeder, had her til she was about 4 months old and then decided to add the little boy.  The dogs are from 2 different breeders.  It has been a blast, frustrating, hilarious, overwhelming, and pure joy!  My dog that past had already begun to ruin my carpet, so adding the 2 pups was not a big deal there.  My boyfriend and I have really had a good time whatching the pups play together....it had been interesting seeing the older of the two teach the younger one how to play and behave!  We got both pups when they were each 8 weeks old.....so we got the girl first, had her and when she was about 14 weeks old, added the boy.  I wish you the best of luck!  My boyfriend and I just happen to be able to pick out 2 pups that are extremely loving, caring, and CALM!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome from Canada! Like others have said, there is a lot of useful info on here regarding raising two pups at once. I don't have any personal experience, just raising the one is good for me now! lol So sorry for your loss of Kassey, she is a beautiful girl. Let us know how the meeting with the breeder goes! I bet you can't wait  :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Iam new kind of my wife has been part of this woderful forum for little while, we have 2 boxer boys brothers 6 months old and friday we will pickup our pretty little girl boxer. I come from a family of boxer owners and wanted to have my own for years. Our boys are white with brindle spots and fawn colored our new baby girl is white with fawn and black spots. So it has been a very wonderful experience for us and we are very excited for our new arrival. So welcome and we are very excited toget to know you and meet your new babies!!!!1!1

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My hubby was the last one to write...we have two boxer boys and a girl coming home friday!  Speaking as the Momma who stayed home with the two boys this summer, it IS doable...even if there are SOME who think we were NUTS!ROTFOL :bigrazz:  ;) We did "break rules"...you aren't supposed to get littermates...so, if you wanna be extra careful, pick a pup from one litter and one from another, or go for one that is a bit older and a puppy...most breeders won't sell you two littermates...typically, one male, one female is preferable...we got our boys from a family members breeding of her dog Jackson, whom we love! They were just sort of a matched set...they have done VERY well...but, I was home(as you are) and I had the entire summer to dedicate to their training and care(sounds like you do too! :) ) So, have fun...do your homework and feel free to ask any questions! The people here are WONDERFUL..and I am more then happy to share anything I have learned so far! :)

Welcome!

Mic N Indy at 7 weeks

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have to say, Kassy was a beautiful girl - how old was she?

We have two dogs, but we got Tink first and then when she was a year old, we added Hector.  I really think it was the best decision we ever made, they are completely joined at the hip and I really don't think that two is any more work than one.  Having said that, though, I might feel differently if we'd had to go through both puppy phases at the same time!

Whichever way you end up doing it, I would definitely recommend getting a pair.  The conventional wisdom does say that you shouldn't get both at the same time, but Jeanene has done it very successfully, as have friends of mine who have two male littermates that turned 1 back in June.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, have been to see the puppies, they were all gorgeous... but one def stood out for me she was such a little sweetie!! only 11 days old at the moment so I know it is hard to tell, but I think we choose each other!!! Have also decided at this stage to just get one, then maybe in another year or so, add to the family!! Here is a photo, not the best but was hard to keep her still enough to take it!!!

Have decided to call her Frankie.

Thanks for all of your sweet comments about Kassy, we thought she was the best dog in the world , she was 7 when she left us, didn't have quite long enough time with her....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi there!  Just wanted to say welcome and that your Kassy was a beautiful girl.

I only have 1 boxer but also have a pug puppy, Hugo, who we got in the same weekend as Roxy our boxer.  We got Hugo on the Saturday (he was 11 weeks old) and then Roxy on the Sunday (she was 8 weeks old).  I must admit that the first month or so was kinda crazy (and v.tiring!!) with 2 puppies in the house, but I definatly don't regret a thing now as they are best of friends and we have no issues with dominance.  It was difficult to house train them both at once but we found that Roxy caught on quicker than Hugo and then Hugo started copying her so it worked out well.  Also with recall, Roxy responds better but Hugo will follow her back!  I love having 2 puppies and I find that I feel better if we have to leave them as they've always got each other to play with.  We've also found that they haven't chewed or destroyed our house cos they haven't been bored as they've got a play mate.  The only problem we're starting to experience is if my OH goes out with Roxy and I stay home with Hugo they get a lot of seperation anxiety when they're apart, which is something we're trying to work on.

Hope this helps in your decision to get 2 puppies and good luck with whatever you decide.  Can't wait to see pics!!  :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts