Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone, my name is Phil and I am from NYC. I am married with 3 girls 10 8 6. We recently lost our Boston Terrier which we had for 14 years. We are thinking about bringing a boxer in to our family and I would like to get some info and feed back from a few of my questions. How are boxers with kids?  Are they dominant like Rotties? Are they easily trained ?Do they shed? Thanks for any info you can provide me

·
Registered
526 Posts
Boxers are great with kids. Patch adores our kids (ages 6 & 9) and he was easily house/leash trained. He is very loyal and is protective but not overly aggressive. He sheds some but if we brush him every few days it really really cuts down on the shedding.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with a boxer, we will not have any other breed from now on ;)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I greatly appreciate you doing your research before getting a breed new to you!  :clap:
I agree fully with what Grumpee said. Boxers are very good with children. mine is very protective of our daughter, and always wants to be with her. I've noticed that Diesel is shedding more now that he's older. but again like Grumpee said, frequent brushing (like with every breed) really cuts down on the shedding.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and your family from Ontario Canada.  Very sorry to hear about your loss, I know this can be very difficult having gone through this myself.  Glad to hear you are considering a Boxer....Boxers are one of the best family dogs around, they are excellent with kids and protective of their family, they deffinately require good pack leaders and consistent training in order to control dominance and behavior, how ever they are quick and eager to learn, as far as the shedding goes they are medium shedders, but with their short coats it's not very noticable....take a look at the training and behavioral sections in the forum there's some great info there and should answer most of your questions..in addition there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who can help at a more in depth level, we have Vets, trainers, and behaviorist, and so on...

hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Boxers are great but they are a strong breed so they require a dominant owner.  Otherwise yes, they will be the ones dominating you   :D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I am so sorry for your loss. Very glad to see you doing your research before committing to a breed!

Boxers, as others have said are fantastic with children and yes brushing does help with the shedding. Another great thing is you don't have to bathe them often, we only do about once every couple of months...boxers are a very clean breed. Something else to consider is they have a lot of energy and require a lot of exercise and stimulation as they are also very clever. Training classes are great, I would recommend them for sure. Boxers are very loyal and are not considered an aggressive breed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome and kudos to doing some research first  :) My Boxers have never had a lot of exposure to children, but there seems to be an inate sense of protection built into them, which is very endearing...Also as Boxers are clowns it's like having another child around as well :) There are some great books that you may want to consider checking out, I bought tons of books before getting my first 10 yrs ago and I am still learning..One of my favorites is called " the Boxer, a family favorite" by Stephanie Abrahms who used to breed and now judges Boxers...It goes into history, standards, what to look for in pups, behaviors, you name it....Good luck on your search, if you decide to go with a Boxer, you may want to consider a rescue as a first dog, most have been housebroke and some have basic obedience as well...

G

·
0 Posts
I have two boxers.  I will always, from this point own a boxer.  My youngest, Jetta is 6 1/2 months old.  From the time we got her a 6 weeks old, she has LOVED children.  The house we live in has a park next door.  There are always kids there.  She will sit at the fence staring at the kids with her little nub going back and forth and wiggling.  If I let her near children, she is always there beaning, wagging the nub and giving kisses galore to them.  Bo, my oldest is 1 year old.  He doesn't get AS excited as Jetta with kids...but he has some wisdom with them.  In December, I got in a little fender bender, and both dogs were in the car.  The man who hit me had a 2 and a 6 year old with him. They were scared to death, crying, and the older had a bump on her head.  I let my dogs out to check them over and they both went straight for the kids.  Bo did't jump up or anything, he stood there and just put his face right up to the little girls' and gave them kisses...no my tears from the kids!  He knew they needed love, and he knew to not be too rowdy.  Very wise young man.  

As for guarding/aggression.  Jetta has absoletly no guarding instinct that I can see.  She is happy and eager to meet everyone she comes in contact with.  The happiest, friendliest puppy you can imagine.  Bo on the other hand is a little weary of strangers, especially men.  But, if I tell him the men are ok, he gets excited and loving to them right away.  This is how I feel a guard dog should be.  He checks with me before acting and follows me cues.  He also alerts me to noises in the house when I am alone at night.   Last night, my husband was at work. He remoted into our desktop through his palm pilot.  It made a noise.  Both dogs heard it and jumped straight to attention.  I let them out, they patrolled the house and calmed right down.  I love this about them.  

Shedding- Jetta is starting to lose her puppy fur and is shedding a bit more than usual.  I bathe her 1 time a month, sometimes a little more often, sometimes less.  Bo sheds a little less, but his fur is coarse and will cause skin allergies in me.  I bathe him once a month more or less and I haven't had any problems with him in a month or so.  Boxers do shed, they do have dander.  Their fur is very similar to Boston terrier fur from what I can remember from our old boston.  I had skin allergies to that dog as well.  If you brush and use baby wipes between bathing, I think your daughter will have similar issues with a boxer as a boston.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Let me start off by saying Im so sorry for your loss! We just had to put down our 14 year old collie down in december. If you need anyone to talk to just PM me.

First off boxers & kids are just meant to be! I am not a mom, but I am a nanny of 3. They are 8, 8, and 10. Tucker absolutely loves them! He does shed.... a lot.... there is pretty much hair all over my clothes, but honestly I can deal with that. He is just a wonderful pup! He is in no way dominant, but I do believe that depends on the dogs personality, and how you go about your training. Also, about the training... This is just my personal experience here. I started with tucker the day he came home, only on the basics. He sat, stayed, laid down, etc... all by the end of the first week. He is now almost 5 months old and is now very trained. I have done all the training on my own, but I don't suggest going this route unless you feel as though your methods are working.

He is a wonderful dog. I researched the boxer breed for about 2 years (and seriously researched for about 1 year) before even starting my search for the right breeder. I feel like I made the right choice, and we just fit each other perfectly. :)

Good luck, hopefully the boxer breed and your family are the right match!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts