Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My boyfriend and I have been wanting to get a dog for a while now, we already have a cat. A few weeks ago we had a chance to adopt 2 boxer puppies from a young man who was not able to keep the dogs since his mother and girlfriend did not want them in the house. Sadly at the last minute the guy changed his mind and thought they were too cute to let go. We were heart broken needless to say. We werent sold on a boxer before that but now we are determined to get a boxer especially since we researched about the breed a lot more. I found this site and have been reading the puppy and behavior sections all day. I just want to thank everyone for all the wonderful information I have found here about breeders, etc. We are now looking to add a boxer before the end of the year.

I was curious, is it a good idea to take on more than one puppy at once? do they help eachother through the transition? pros vs cons anyone? Also, ive heard a lot of good and bad things about white boxers...what is the huge controversy about white boxer babies?

Thanks for your help
Donya

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas!  Welcome to the forums, they are the best! :wink:
I personally wouldn't have two puppies at once.  To me it would be like having two babies at once.  Just too much for me.  Several people on here have two pups at once, maybe they can be more help.
The white boxer thing is a mess!  They are just as wonderful as any other.  They have a tendancy towards deafness, but that's all I know.  Lots of white boxer owners here, they will be more help than me too! :wink:
Good luck getting a pup and consider rescue.

Z

·
Registered
16 Posts
Windsor doesnt do rescue, unforantely. So our best bet is to find some local breeder who has a good bunch of pups we can choose from. The average price around these parts ranges from 600-800 a pup. I wasn't entirely sold on a boxer until I talked to a good friend of mine who told me how loyal and protective they are. Im not home alot, and we live in a somewhat..well, what she considers a "rough area" of Windsor, so i'd like a protective dog for her. As well as one I can take to the park and play with, etc. I think boxer is the dog for me and her (Donya). I know they are energetic as well as great guard dogs. So I look forward to bringing one into our home. I think she was asking about the pair in terms of curious to see if it had better results on the transition. By the way, im very grateful to know Boxers are more intelligent than Miss Teen South Carolina.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hello and welcome from Ohio...I myself have 2 boxer babies at once and while they are a blast to watch and play with....they are alot of work!!! I have one that is sooooo good about going outside to go potty and one that will be out for 30-45 minutes and not do a thing til she comes in....then it is all over my floor. I love them both dearly and would not change the way i did things but it is ALOT of work. So really it is an individual preference on whether to have more than one puppy at once. As for the white boxers....i also have one of them. He is wonderful and has a perfect bill of health....not deaf, or blind. Vet said he is just picture perfect. As far as down the road if he could have more problems....i dont know that but for now he is very healthy. Good luck with finding a boxer baby....you will be so happy you are adding a boxer to your home. They are wonderful!!! Hubby NEVER wanted a boxer. I talked him into Chance(our white boy) and he was hooked....then 2 weeks later we got Layla(our flashy fawn). I am done now however since it is alot of work with 3 kids as well. Not that the work isnt worth it....I would do the same thing all over again if given the choice!!!!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Hi,

Boxers are wonderful guardians!  I live up in the mountains on 12 acres and am sometimes home by myself.  We never lock doors or anything.  They are great sentries and I always feel safe and secure with my dogs.  Boxers are working dogs and do require alot of attention.  They love obedience work and will get bored if not mentally challenged on a daily basis.  This means atleast 15 minutes a day of practicing commands, more is better. They also love exercise.  Please beware of the health issues with this breed.  I only buy my pups from breeders who health test.  I personally have had two whites over the years and they are just as wonderful as the colored ones.  Chance of deafness, but that can be checked out when young.  They also can sunburn easier.  

Nano

·
Registered
905 Posts
I agree with Nano, Boxers are wonderful protectors.  My boyfriend is in the army and I am alone overnight quite a bit, but I feel 100% safe with my two big babies sleeping on the bed with me.  While it's important to realise that there is no such thing as a vicious Boxer, they are very protective of their owners and will always warn you if something is amiss.  We live in a small town in the country and behind our house was a large area of scrubland surrounding an abandoned nursing home (sounds like something out of a horror film, eh?!!).  Anyway, I was walking Tink in there one day when she was about 5 months old (off-leash) and I went over to a large belt of trees and bushes that actually backed onto our back garden wall (dunno why, was just curious).  Tink was in front of me as I neared it and all of a sudden she just stopped dead in the "stacking" position, hackles raised and started growling very loudly from the back of her throat.  She was also completely blocking me from going any further.  Well, needless to say, that was enough for me!  I promptly turned around and went home!  It could have been nothing more than a rat or a fox that spooked her, but I wasn't going to investigate!  I trust her judgement completely.

As for the "pair of puppies" question - well, we have two now, but we didn't add Hector until Tink was a year old.  We had no problems whatsoever and we will always have a pair now, but I think it would have been more difficult if they'd been puppies at the same time.  I definitely think Tink helped in training Hector because she was that bit older.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Since rescue isn't an option in your area, before going to a breeder, I would really recomend reading carefully thru the topics posted in the breeder section..Ask tons of questions, see the parents, ask about health testing, spay/neuter contracts. A good breeder will not mind you asking, as a matter of fact they will think better of you for asking...It shows you have done your homework :)

As for the white boxers, well other than being white, they are still boxers..yes there are more issues regarding blindness & deafness, but it's not the major thing that some people would like you to believe..We have a ton of white boxer people on here and they will all tell you the same thing...

Myself personally, I would not want to bring 2 pups into the house at the same time. It is an awful lot of work with just one and boxers generally aren't totally housebroken til at least 6 mos and are not considered adults til 3 yrs! That is a very long puppyhood. Having said that, I do believe they are better in pairs, but I would get one, wait about a year than get another  :)

Good luck and let us know if we can answer any other questions for you.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
First off welcome and glad you have found us.  I adopted a rescue dog (don't really know his age but guessing between 14- 16 months old), and one just wasn't enough so we now have a puppy (8 weeks old today).  All I can say is two is double the fun, double the work, and double the trouble.  If you have the time to devote to them two are great as they can keep each other company.  At the same time, they will develop at different rates, learn different stunts (and I mean ways to get into mischief).  Since this is your first boxer (mine was too even though I'd been a dog owner for over 35 years) you might want to move a little slower.   You can always add another one down the road.  Boxers are wonderful but for a life long friend, make sure you do your research with breeders to ensure you aren't buying lots of trouble down the road.  Spend the time reading this forum and you'll get a great education first and won't have to learn things the hard way.  Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well it seems like everyone has covered alot of your questions.  So I will just say Welcome......Good luck on finding your perfect boxer baby....This is my first boxer as well (prior always labs)  and there is nothing like coming home to these beaning babies and watching them act like total clowns.  It makes a good end to a bad day that is for sure!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hello and Welcome! i personally wouldnt reccomend having two at once. that way you could teach the one what is expected, and once you have the behavior where you want it. You introduce the second and your fist pup will be able to also help by doing what is expected of him. good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts