Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!  I've been absent for several months.  :oops:  just busy.  With four children and a boxer I guess that's not surprising.   I check in now and then but I usually don't post any messages. :roll:

I have decided to go back to college for a second degree; after 15 years 8O
I dropped by here to say hello again and seek some advice about Ginsy.  I also noticed my SIG pic is missing 8O  8O Any ideas what happened to it??  Mastray?  HELP!

OK about my question about Ginsy;  will you guys help me out here even though I have been gone for so long and seemingly am only back when I need something :oops:

I have never had this much trouble house training a dog before.  I swear it is almost like she saves it so she can go in the house.  

We go for a long walk every morning first thing, she will pee and even poo  but not 3 min after coming back inside she will leave a little present in the den.  Or she will head upstairs to leave a pile at the top of the stairs and then come back down again.   We can't let her come upstairs at all ever!  Its like as soon as her feet hit the landing upstairs she has to find a spot to do her business.  In any room- it doesn't matter once she gets upstairs she has to pee or poop.

She goes out of her way to poo in the house and is even more deliberate in making sure she does it when you aren't looking.  I have never actually caught her in the act- the closest I have come to catching her is when she is sneaking back down the stairs or out of the den.  And this is when I am with her,  I mean its not like I leave her unattended in the house.  No she will go to the kitchen with me to get some water while I start breakfast, and ooh so casually slip into the den when I am looking in the pantry for a box of cereal or something.  And she knows she is wrong cause as soon as I find it and start fussing she slumps down on the floor in a little ball.  Its really too late by then, I can't spank her for it- I just put her on the back deck.  this time of year it is very cold out there.

Honestly,  we have gotten to the point that we don't let her in the house anymore.  she is either outside or in the crate.   EVERY time she is out in the house she pees or poops.  
What really gets me is the deliberate nature of the "accidents"  Its not like she has to go really really bad and just can't hold it. We take her for several walks throughout the day, many times she JUST CAME IN from outside.

And when we walk its not like I power along and don't give her an opportunity to take care of business.    We meander along and wander up the road a bit,  there are two empty lots in the cul-de sac so I let her sniff around there for a bit Then we jog home.  Even then I give her a min to sniff the bushes around the front walk-  i guess to see if there were any intruders in her territory while we were out.
I hate that I can't trust her in the house.  The whole point in getting a dog was to have her in the house as part of the family etc.   She is almost a year old and this is still going on.  My DH is at the point of finding a new home for her because he says he isn't going to have a dog that can't be trusted or he is just going to throw her outside and leave her there permanently.  He believes dogs should be outside anyway.  And this is just the proof he needs to justify making her an outside dog. :oops:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah- and we have tried bell training! She used that bell like a champ.  the only problem is that the children don't understand the concept of training and would take her out to play anytime she rang the bell.  So she rang it every 30 sec. and never made the potty- bell connection

And she doesn't indicate in anyway that she needs to go- she doesn't go to the door,  or scratch/ dig ,  she doesn't whine or wiggle like a potty dance.  nope she just waits till you aren't looking and then privately goes to take care of business.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would try going back to basics, start from scratch, pretend that she is an 8 wk old pup you just brought home...Sounds like she needs to re-learn potty training...Yea, it can be a pain in the arse, but it might help...any training is only going to work if everyone is consistent and all on the same page, hence the reason the bell training wasn't working...Angel was 18 mos when we brought her home and that's what I had to do, she never poo'd in the house, but pee, oh my god, and it seemed like she was never going to get it..I just got real diligent, took her out every half hour, repeated the same command "let's go potty" and always on a lead..Play time was for when she finished...Also when she has an accident inside, take the towels you used to clean up and place them outside where you want her to go, that helps...Hope this is some help....

Nice to see you back by the way..I believe Marie(Mastray) changed some things on her Photobucket which is why your Siggy isn't showing up..Maybe send her a message and I'm sure she can help you out  :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good advice from Samsonsmom.  What are you cleaning it up with when it happens?  Make sure you are using a product like Nature's Miracle that gets rid of the smell from the dog's point of view.  Ammonia products make the smell more potent to them and it is important to get rid of the scent.  When you take her out for walks and she potty's make a HUGE DEAL out of it.  Praise, praise, praise "GOOD POTTY!, GOOOOOOOD POTTY!" I also use pee pee and poopy for my good words.  When an accident happens just put the dog out of eye sight of the project and clean it up without saying anything.  Don't scold, they know who did it anyways.  Could also be she is doing the bad thing for attention.  GOod luck and keep us posted.

Nano

·
Registered
893 Posts
All the advice that has already been given to you is great and I have nothing to add at this time on the potty training subject. My Delila ia 5 months old and is also having accidents in the house, brand new house, may I add. It is very frustrating, as my older boxer was easier to train. When we buy or adopt a dog it is our responsibility to treat the animal kindly, and teach it right from wrong. When you stated that she is either outside or in a crate, it sort of set off a red flag that maybe the dog needs more attention or exercise. Boxers need human companionship and are not outside dogs. You stated that it is cold this time of year and boxers don't tolerate extreme cold or hot temperatures well. I am not trying to be critical as I am going through the pp,and pop problem also, but I know that my puppy is still young and that one day she will get the concept of going outside to potty. It is my responsibility to be patient with her and show her the way. Good luck with your puppy, one day she will catch on.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see where you could be confused by what I said-  when I put her OUT in the COLD :x  it is only as long as it takes me to clean the mess.  I also feed her outside twice a day and she stays out long enough to eat and settle her food a bit take care of immediate concerns for "business"  etc usually 20 min or so.

Inside- if I am not downstairs or in the kitchen then she does stay in the crate- she is forbidden access to the upstairs area until she is fully housetrained and reliable.   DH's orders!!  So she is in and out of her crate all day :roll: but not confined continually all day long.  
I take or let her out to walk and do her business frequently during the day- I think our biggest problem actually is that when she "goes" she doesn't empty her bowel,  sometimes on a walk she will poo 2 or 3 times and it is herd to tell when she is done at 2 or when she needs a few more min to "go" for 3.  so maybe what has happened is that she has gotten "trained" to go that last time in the the house because I brought her back inside before she was finished.  I think that has become even more true with the cold weather and my desire to get back inside where it is warm sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
648 Posts
When you go for walks try not to let her poo or pee. If she has to poo or pee she must wait unitl you get back but she will learn she better do this before you leave. If you are asking how you can stop them well it is all about the energy you are putting in the walk. Walk as if you are on a mission to walk and correct when she starts sniffing the ground or wanting to pull you somewhere. This way she is starting to have rules, boundries and limitations. Without them she is doing her own thing when she wants - that is the wrong message you are giving her. Most times if our dog is doing something we do not like it's 9 times out of 10 our fault. The hardest part is the consistency but also one of the most important....Lastly don't give her any affection until she has done her thing....when you are outside and it's cold don't think about it but try to stay calm and in the right mindset. If you are thinking about going back in I bet she feels this as well so she thinks, ' why not hold my poo I can do it inside the house!' Mom will want to go back in very soon anyway....she demonstrates this to me each day.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts