Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the group. We have a 1yr old brindle boxer called Harvey. We have 5 children and he fits in perfectly to our family. I was wondering if anyone could help. For the last 6 months Harvey has developed a skin condition that I can only describe as looking like eczema, it only affects his white parts, down through his chest and his paws. Vets have tried everything all being costly, blood tests, changing food, pills, steroids but the only thing that helps is a heavy dose of steroids which being a 35kg dog I’m aware of him getting bigger. Has anyone had a similar situation and found a cream that could help?! His coat other wise is beautiful and shiny but his chest can look sore & obviously bothers him at times. Thank you for reading, Georgie, X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Sorry your boy is going thru this and I really have no arise to offer. I am seeing more n more skin issues being brought up on the forum and have not been a solution as of yet. I am beginning to wonder if anyone who has these issues has gone to feeding raw in an attempt to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our 8 month old boxer is going through skin issues right now. It has been going on over 2 months now. He has bumps along the top of his back, my story posted under "pimples (bumps) help" . It sounds like you vet is on top of things. I wonder with the location of the redness and irritation if Havey may have an allergy to an environmental factor, like grass? I have read that veterinarians can provide you a topical cream. We have used antibiotic ointment (generic drug store brand) on some of his larger bumps and they appeared to go down (we had our vet's permission and made sure he could not lick it off). An oatmeal bath may help as well, if you have not tried this. Did your vet recommend allergy testing? Have you tried Claritin or Benadryl? Our friend's boxer has allergies to grass, paws becoming red and inflamed and will also get red along chest. The vet put her on Aproquel. I am not familiar with this medication, it is my understanding it is fairly new on the market.

We have not tried a raw diet. Our vet has our puppy on Royal Canine, Ultamino (12 weeks). This is all he is allowed to have. We use the kibble as treats. Thank goodness he loves it.

I hope you can get some answers soon! Harvey has the sweetest face, absolutely precious!

I've included a picture of Hobbes' back so you can see what his bumps look like.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hello, I’m new to the group. We have a 1yr old brindle boxer called Harvey. We have 5 children and he fits in perfectly to our family. I was wondering if anyone could help. For the last 6 months Harvey has developed a skin condition that I can only describe as looking like eczema, it only affects his white parts, down through his chest and his paws. Vets have tried everything all being costly, blood tests, changing food, pills, steroids but the only thing that helps is a heavy dose of steroids which being a 35kg dog I’m aware of him getting bigger. Has anyone had a similar situation and found a cream that could help?! His coat other wise is beautiful and shiny but his chest can look sore & obviously bothers him at times. Thank you for reading, Georgie,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome! Cute baby!
We give two of our boys Apoquel for licking issues- both with white paws that they will lick red, and they will lick other parts of themselves a lot when not on this. It is kind of expensive, but works- but is not recommended if there may be an underlying skin issue. I think it is only used for the licking, and not an actual skin condition. Benadryl didn't help them w/ the licking, but this in the right dosage does.

A friend of mine has one dog (not a boxer, but white stomach) out of 3 dogs that rubs his stomach raw in their yard during the warm months of the year. Their vet tried a new shot that lasts around 8 weeks I think, and they have had good results with the first shot. I'm not sure if they have tried a second one yet. I can find out the name of it if you are interested.

Hopefully someone has some better advice...

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
OK, well "this issue" seems to be more and more of a "Boxer" problem these days???
I never had an issue with scratching with my short haired guys, but when I got my first GSD ... I discovered what the issues were???

The first year at about three years old was the worst! Lot's of fur loss and his grey skin (Black GSD) turned beet red??? Off to the vet we go! Kenalog shot
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/steroid-treatment-long-term-effects-in-dogs

His issue did seem to be seasonal early fall??? And the shots started to be more that one after year two?? I did not want to keep him doing that so, (Annual shots) so I started to look for a more suitable long term solutions???

Now I never found a "Magic Bullet" ... do "this" and all your dog's issues "skin" issues will be solved??? And Rocky never got as bad as he did in year one!

Sooo ... frequent weekly baths wait a "leave on bathing residue???" Yeah I know .... that is "Vet" speak for a skin nursing Doggy Shampoo."

They help to was off "pollutants" and help to nourish the skin. The oatmeal shampoos are popular but I did read they don't work for some dogs??? I used a dog shampoo that contained "Tea Tree Oil" and over the long haul ... it seemed to work??

Vinegar baths also help to help maintain the Ph Balance in a dogs skin. Usually Apple Cider Vinegar. And you can feed it to them also ...but if they are consuming it ... be careful! A little of that stuff goes a long way!!

I did the recommend amount of Apple Cider Vinegar for consumption for Rocky (116' lbs) and it made him barf?? And if it was good enough for him ... I would take some also??? Yeah same results for me??? So I just used it in his bath water and on his skin (watered down) directly ... that worked better. :)

And sigh ... I finally switched to a "grain Free Kibble!" All my "other dogs" had been feed "Kirkland Dog Food" and they did fine?? But Rocky ... not so much??? SO becasue of him I jumped on the "Grain Free Wagon" and switched to "Kirkland's" Grain Free "Natures Domain." So all my dogs went to that and it did work better!

And no it was not an instant no more itching "ever" solution but ... there was no more hair loss, and no more red skin! So the "Grain Free" did work but it was a part of the process!

And the RC for this issues ...yeah, I'm not a fan. It is just over priced crap food. It is not "Grain Free." It's just grain filled kibble with a "Essential oils packed in??" I see it also has "Taurine" in it also ... the cat food supplement???" So ... what's up with that???

Aww, well I can "add" a hit piece on "vet" prescribed foods but ... I'll refrain ... for the time being. :)

Oh well the itching thing, is not really what I do?? But it just seems to keep coming up??? So I started looking and found this guy.:

And I will add that number seven in his list. I have no idea what that is??? But his take would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
OK, well "this issue" seems to be more and more of a "Boxer" problem these days???
I never had an issue with scratching with my short haired guys, but when I got my first GSD ... I discovered what the issues were???

The first year at about three years old was the worst! Lot's of fur loss and his grey skin (Black GSD) turned beet red??? Off to the vet we go! Kenalog shot
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/steroid-treatment-long-term-effects-in-dogs

His issue did seem to be seasonal early fall??? And the shots started to be more that one after year two?? I did not want to keep him doing that so, (Annual shots) so I started to look for a more suitable long term solutions???

Now I never found a "Magic Bullet" ... do "this" and all your dog's issues "skin" issues will be solved??? And Rocky never got as bad as he did in year one!

Sooo ... frequent weekly baths wait a "leave on bathing residue???" Yeah I know .... that is "Vet" speak for a skin nursing Doggy Shampoo."

They help to was off "pollutants" and help to nourish the skin. The oatmeal shampoos are popular but I did read they don't work for some dogs??? I used a dog shampoo that contained "Tea Tree Oil" and over the long haul ... it seemed to work??

Vinegar baths also help to help maintain the Ph Balance in a dogs skin. Usually Apple Cider Vinegar. And you can feed it to them also ...but if they are consuming it ... be careful! A little of that stuff goes a long way!!

I did the recommend amount of Apple Cider Vinegar for consumption for Rocky (116' lbs) and it made him barf?? And if it was good enough for him ... I would take some also??? Yeah same results for me??? So I just used it in his bath water and on his skin (watered down) directly ... that worked better. :)

And sigh ... I finally switched to a "grain Free Kibble!" All my "other dogs" had been feed "Kirkland Dog Food" and they did fine?? But Rocky ... not so much??? SO becasue of him I jumped on the "Grain Free Wagon" and switched to "Kirkland's" Grain Free "Natures Domain." So all my dogs went to that and it did work better!

And no it was not an instant no more itching "ever" solution but ... there was no more hair loss, and no more red skin! So the "Grain Free" did work but it was a part of the process!

And the RC for this issues ...yeah, I'm not a fan. It is just over priced crap food. It is not "Grain Free." It's just grain filled kibble with a "Essential oils packed in??" I see it also has "Taurine" in it also ... the cat food supplement???" So ... what's up with that???

Aww, well I can "add" a hit piece on "vet" prescribed foods but ... I'll refrain ... for the time being. :)

Oh well the itching thing, is not really what I do?? But it just seems to keep coming up??? So I started looking and found this guy.:

Dog Allergies: 7 Ways To Stop The Itching Fast - YouTube

And I will add that number seven in his list. I have no idea what that is??? But his take would be a good starting point.

Interesting on the The Tea Tree Oil is used to kill little mites and things in hair...on humans too- they have wipes that are pretty spendy. You can get it in some soaps too. It has a unique smell too....

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Chip I've been following this lately seems they are finding dogs with dcm may have a taurine deficiency .
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2018/07/09/link-between-dog-food-taurine-deficiency-and-dcm.aspx

If a grain free dog food is getting most of its protein from peas, legumes and not the meat source it lacks taurine which is where they are finding the links to heart disease.
LOL ... your just like that "Basset Hound" in the "Dog Park" that Rocky and I could not shake, with the "Taurine thing!" :)

Just goes to show ... one does not have to a freaking cow to make a point (uh that would be me.) But with that last article, I "Concede" your Taruine point! :)

I kinda figured that with (DCM) deficiency and dilated cardiomyopathy, and I was aware of it with Cats but not with Dogs??? But I kinda figured Boxers would show up in that article somewhere?? And sure enough the last paragraph I think, there Boxers were! :)

And it also cleared up an unrelated point that I just heard Peter Cain, ranting on about with "Plant Based Protein??" I did not have a clear understanding of what he was talking about??

Hmm I can't find the link but it was carbohydrates and plant based proteins. Aw, well no matter. What is "important" is what to do/feed your dog and those of us who do use "Grain Free Diets" tend to do so for a reason. And usually that reason is for "Itching and skin Conditions??"

Now that said ... apparently to much reliance on plant based based protein, in some dog foods, can interfere with the synthesizing of Taurine, which can lead to heart issues in "some dog Breeds" ... apparently???

But short of having, a "Blood Panel" done to see if your dogs has a "Taurine" Deficiency and thus is subject to DCM??? The solution ... despite a 30 year study??? Seems to be pretty simple!

A weekly can of "Sardines" to take care of a "potential" Taurine deficiency, if it exist (in one's dog) and problem solved! That recommendation is in the article you linked! :)

Good enough for them good enough for me! We have had Boxers drop over dead from 5 months to 8 years on here of heart issues. :(

And maybe a weekly can of "Sardines" could have saved them??? It could not hurt ... so I'll be adding Sardines, to my new diet ... and I like them to. So you know ... thanks for being persistent! :)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Yep, I am feeding the grain free all life stage Victor. I'm not sure if they add taurine, but its not plant based so I think I am ok. I add liver treats every day so thats good I also saw a receipt for sardine treats, I have to find again but I may make some up, it required you drying them up good, cutting and baking tll crisp.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
And maybe a weekly can of "Sardines" could have saved them??? It could not hurt ... so I'll be adding Sardines, to my new diet ... and I like them to. So you know ... thanks for being persistent! :)
I do a soft boiled egg(still keeps all the nutrients) mixed with his breakfast a couple times a week. Doesn't smell as bad.lol

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Interesting on the The Tea Tree Oil is used to kill little mites and things in hair...on humans too- they have wipes that are pretty spendy. You can get it in some soaps too. It has a unique smell too....
I never heard of Tea Tree Oil wipes?? And yes Tea Tree Oil, is an Essential Oil so I would imagine they would be pricey???

Essential Oils can be dangerous??? Most likely spot wiping with wipes "should be fine??" But in general it's best not to "Experiment" with it?? A pet safe Doggy, shampoo containing Tea Tree Oil, is the best way to go. And yep it has a great fragrance for us ... I don't know what dogs thing of it, however? :)

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Ugh ... nutrition and stuff, is not really my thing??? But Lindar51, was pretty persistent on the "Taurine thing???" And Boxers can have a lot of health issues??? And perhaps maybe, possibly, Tarurine deficiency "could be responsible" for Boxers that just drop over dead in the 6 month to eight year range from (DCM) dilated cardiomyopathy ??? It could be a "Taurine Related deficiency???"

I doubt many owners have a blood panel done for "Taurine deficiency, if they come home and find there Boxer has expired??? :(

And these days with the trend in "itching Boxers and the switch to Grain Free Kibble, if there is a problem with a dogs ability to properly process "Synthesis Taurine" with these "Grain Free Foods??" Then the situation could get worst???

Lindar51, provided the info that convinced me that well ... "maybe this is a thing??"
So I'll just repost it again.:
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2018/07/09/link-between-dog-food-taurine-deficiency-and-dcm.aspx

But ... I'll also do what I tend to do best and Keep It Simple. :)

This part ...is all Boxer owners need to know, :

How You Can Protect Your Dog
Those of us who are passionate about animal nutrition have been having a painful awakening for some time now about just how nutrient-deficient many dogs and cats are today. The taurine-DCM issue in dogs is yet another example that animals need much higher levels of bioavailable amino acids from a variety of sources than most are consuming.

Unfortunately, some processed pet food advocates are using the link between grain-free dog foods and DCM to try to push pet parents back in the direction of grain-based diets. Don't be fooled. The problem with grain-free formulas isn't the lack of grains! It's the high level of starchy carbohydrates coupled with the extreme high-heat processing methods used to produce these diets.

Until we have much more information on the subject, my current recommendation is to supplement all dogs with high-taurine foods, no matter what type of diet they're eating. An easy way to do this is to simply mix a can of sardines into your pet's meal once a week. You can also find the taurine content of many other foods on page two of this study and also in this Raw Feeding Community article.

If you have a breed or breed mix known to be susceptible to DCM (e.g., Golden Retriever, Doberman Pinscher, Cocker Spaniel, Boxer, Great Dane, Scottish Deerhound, Irish Wolfhound, Saint Bernard, Afghan Hound, Dalmatian, Portuguese Water dog, Old English Sheepdog, Newfoundland), especially if you've been feeding grain-free kibble, or if for some other reason you're concerned about your dog's heart health, I recommend following Dr. Joshua Stern's four-step process outlined above, starting with a visit to your veterinarian.

Now of course if you are feeding dry Kibble?? No matter how much spend for it, your gonna have the Carbohydrate thing?? And the only way around that would be to feed a raw diet. Feeding raw, is still to much for me ... so I'll stick with Grain Free Kibble and ...add a can of Sardines once a week and call it a day. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts