Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I'm Jackie, I have a boxer, Gimli, who is 3.5yrs old. I'm here to hopefully connect with other boxer lovers, we have been thru a lot health wise, he suffered anaphylaxis last year and have been on quite the journey to get him as healthy as possible. He's a lively, big sweetheart who still gets into mischief. One of his talents is riding on my back haha. Looking forward to connecting and would love to learn more about you and your fur babies!!
Dog Eye Dog breed Mouth Carnivore

Furniture Dog Comfort Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw thank you for the warm welcome ☺! We never did find out, it's such a mystery, the vets didn't give much advise so I took issues in my own hands, changed his food right away and have been doing so much research. I still worry it could happen again, they didn't give any EpiPen either which is frustrating. He needs to gain weight, working on it, have him on Nature's Logic and some side meats and veggies, probiotics and enzymes, but other than wanting him to gain a few pounds he's doing really good!! it's been a year now since his anaphylaxis happened.❤

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sometimes they will get an allergic reaction to vaccines the Lepto shot can cause this. I have had my dogs get lumpy and react to moldy leaves and one of my males when he was a pup reacted to cough medication so I have never had an allergic reaction to food. Please be careful of grain free food I lost two dogs to that.

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes they will get an allergic reaction to vaccines the Lepto shot can cause this. I have had my dogs get lumpy and react to moldy leaves and one of my males when he was a pup reacted to cough medication so I have never had an allergic reaction to food. Please be careful of grain free food I lost two dogs to that.
Wow I'm so sorry you lost your dogs to grain free foods! That's horrible, my heart goes out to you :( that's absolutely devastating I'm so sorry. I be been doing research this past year and won't feed him grain free either, I know that Nature's logic has mostly grain-free, but this particular one has grains, I'm also still feeding him Purina gastro food. We figured it was the vaccine so we haven't got his shots in a year either and won't be doing so. One doctor said it could be vaccine once we reassured him that there is no rat poison that he could have gotten into. We don't so much as even use essential oils or other chemicals as air fresheners, I have OCD issues with keeping the house clean and not owning any form of chemical poisons, so there's nothing he could have gotten into that would have caused that reaction. he was having UTI's, vomiting and other symptoms before hand so I am still assuming it was the shot that he got 3 weeks before it triggered anaphylaxis. That's a relief to hear that you don't know of any cases of food allergies that could have caused anaphylaxis. Thanks for your input and advise!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Jackie!
Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure that you will find a ton of activity here on any part of forum, but there are lots of past discussions on a ton of different Boxer issue. I followed a trail of tears here after losing our first Boxer "Diesel" in March of 2019. The main folks who do respond are very informative as well.

We now have "Charlie" who is 8 months (she is very hard headed and can be a real pain in the arse) but we love her anyway lol.
Take care,
Rick

Dog Boxer Mammal Carnivore Fawn
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Comfort Floor

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jackie!
Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure that you will find a ton of activity here on any part of forum, but there are lots of past discussions on a ton of different Boxer issue. I followed a trail of tears here after losing our first Boxer "Diesel" in March of 2019. The main folks who do respond are very informative as well.

We now have "Charlie" who is 8 months (she is very hard headed and can be a real pain in the arse) but we love her anyway lol.
Take care,
Rick

View attachment 137045 View attachment 137046
Awwww Nice to meet you and Charlie ! I'm so sorry to hear about Diesel🥺 my heart goes out to you! I lost a 14yr old Boston terrier last year, it sucks, dogs sure are loving family members. This is my first time owning a boxer, he's my lap doggo, I purchased him with the motive to train as a service dog but decided he's a already emotionally supportive as is and just blessed to have him. I have been looking at the other forum categories, and Wow you are so right, so much great information here!!! It's great to find a place with all this free helpful information from others, I'm thankful I found this forum☺ Thanks for the kind warm welcome! Charlie's adorable sleeping with her tongue 😛 out hahaha. What an awesome characteristic to have. My boxer Gimli, is very vocal, its hilarious, I love all the different quirkiness of the boxer breed. ☺Have a great evening!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Welcome aboard. Boxers are notorious for gas, although my guy doesn't have any, that Boston terrier better be be careful where he lays down!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Gimli is adorable! I see a little Boston behind him in one of the pics too, so cute!
Haha I was wondering if anyone would notice!! Thank you 😊!! Gimli likes to try and sit on Frodo (Boston) just long enough to steal his chair. 😆

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome aboard. Boxers are notorious for gas, although my guy doesn't have any, that Boston terrier better be be careful where he lays down!:ROFLMAO:
Buahahah 😂🤣hes really camouflaged in there. Hey Thank you for the warm welcome 😊!!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just thought I’d mention when I get my yearly vaccines I ask them to leave out the Lepto vaccine that is a known allergic. I get all the rest. I pretty much take my dogs everywhere with me that I can so want to make sure they are covered. A lot of Boxers can’t tolerate Ace when they are put under for surgery so if he does have surgery tell them no Ace. We are glad you are here and as far as I can say Boxers are simply the best

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just thought I’d mention when I get my yearly vaccines I ask them to leave out the Lepto vaccine that is a known allergic. I get all the rest. I pretty much take my dogs everywhere with me that I can so want to make sure they are covered. A lot of Boxers can’t tolerate Ace when they are put under for surgery so if he does have surgery tell them no Ace. We are glad you are here and as far as I can say Boxers are simply the best
Wow that's good info!!! Thank you, I'll remember that. I'm too scared for him to get any vaccine at this point because of his reaction😩He's been put under several times and didn't do well with the meds, he was hitting his own head and moving strange as he was waking, it scared me. thanks again so much for letting me know!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello and welcome! I am brand new here as well! I have a 6 month old white female boxer/american bulldog mix.... and I had a 75lbs fawn mail boxer prior to the new little girl :)

never had any allergy issues to date, but I know they are not fun.

·
Registered
Gimli, 3yrs old, Boxer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello and welcome! I am brand new here as well! I have a 6 month old white female boxer/american bulldog mix.... and I had a 75lbs fawn mail boxer prior to the new little girl :)

never had any allergy issues to date, but I know they are not fun.
Aw ahah, beautiful baby girl! White is so pretty aww. Thank you for the welcome🤗 It's nice to meet you! If you don't mind me asking you what food did you feed your boxer, never had allergies? I am on a rollercoaster with my boy, he has frequent UTI's and bladder issues, I'm talking to a nutritionist, hopefully get this sorted out, I know this diet related, hope to get him on more live foods soon, transitioning new diet slowly tho. Hope you're having a beautiful day🤗

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I had one dog, w ell actually two that went into anaphylaxis shock. With my shih tzu it was a bee sting, and with my chihuahua it was the vaccines. But it happen within 30 minutes of the sting or vaccine. zNow I wanted my dog protected so we one week he would get his annual vaccines, two weeks later his rabies vaccine. I had to give tendril one hour prior to vet visit and my vet also gave him a shot of I believe it was prednisone. Not another issue of anaphylaxis yet he was protected. (I like to take my dogs lots of places.) You may find some of the info here helpful when discussing the uti/bladder issues with your vet .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aw ahah, beautiful baby girl! White is so pretty aww. Thank you for the welcome🤗 It's nice to meet you! If you don't mind me asking you what food did you feed your boxer, never had allergies? I am on a rollercoaster with my boy, he has frequent UTI's and bladder issues, I'm talking to a nutritionist, hopefully get this sorted out, I know this diet related, hope to get him on more live foods soon, transitioning new diet slowly tho. Hope you're having a beautiful day🤗
Ahh, so sorry to hear about the allergies and UTI issues... its tough when the pups have health issues. I never had allergies with any of my boxers, but my brother in laws ridgeback had a lot of them... that said our first boxer developed cancer at age 6... from my research I found its a pretty common consensus that pure breads tend to get in bread to maintain blood lines but ultimately if the gene pool is too shallow health issues will be the result. I think you are on the right track in exploring the food route. We currently are still on what the breeder had her on, Purina Puppy Chow (not excited about but its what she was on).... in the process of transitioning now... I plan to go to a higher quality kibble (taste of the wild, Acana... something like that) and supplement with a raw meat diet, home made bone broth (to mix the kibble in) and just keep her diet wider than I did with my last boxer.

Hope things straighten out with your little one ❤

1 - 18 of 18 Posts