Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is brandi and as  a teenager owned a boxer. i had to sell him when i got married because of him being so protective of me it caused problems with new child. I have always said i wanted another boxer but never was able to becausue of my husband. well to make a long story short i got divorced and am seeing a wonderful man who just today fullfilled my dream and gave me the perfect boxer. (in my eyes anyway)

but my questions are these...

the boxer's tail is docked VERY short... is this good or bad?

should i get his ears docked???

what kind of food should i put him on???

and one more..

how much do i feed him? he is 9 1/2 weeks and when i got him home to feed him he ate like it was his last meal.. didnt even chew it then begged for more... he has ate a total of 1 cup of food today..

i was told to feed 3 times a day?????

okay sorry for all the questions all at once.. its just been 12 years since i last owned a boxer.

okay im going to try and post his pic here but im having trouble with that.. everything is saying what i have is to big and i dont know how to resize anything.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and the new baby!

On the tail it all depends on the vet who cut it and/or sometimes the breeder does them themselves.  I have not seen that in a while, but it does still happen some.  Regardless if it is gone there is nothing that can be done now and it wont cause any problems to have a short or long one.

On the food and the amount.  I would suggest a good kibble food there are plenty of threads on here about pups and food just spend some time reading through some of the post.  The amount to feed will depend on the food the general amounts will be on the bag keep in mind they are usually on the high side though. I think he should be eating more then a cup a day (maybe that was all he ate by your post) If I remember right at 10 weeks Fiona was eating 1 1/2 cups twice a day.  I have never fed three times a day, so I would say you could drop it back from three to two as long as you are feeding a good amount and your pup is getting enough at the times you are feeding.

On the eating like last meal.  Fiona does that every time she eats :)  But, again make sure the little guy is getting enough.  You can also read the threads on peanut butter snacks.....To me they always seem hungry even when they dont really need anymore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.. i wasnt sure how much to feed him..  but after a cup his belly looked swollen so i stopped. of course after a good poo he is back to normal

i currently have him on puppy chow.. (thats what they sent with him) but i was thinking about nuro ultra or something like that

and his tail.. is approx 1 inch.. i measured it. :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum....Read thru the puppy section for a lot of good advice and the food & nutrition has some Sticky topics about good grades of food you should check out as well. Any food changes you make, do gradually. Some dogs digestive systems take longer to accept changes in diet. I generally take about a month to do a complete food switch, 1st week-3/4 old, 1/4 new, 2nd week 1/2 & 1/2, 3rd week 1/4 old & 3/4 new..Watch the stools, if they are runny or loose by that third week, it could be that your pup is having a hard time with the new food...Sometimes it takes awhile to find what works

Cropping the ears is a personal decision, one is not better than other, but make sure to use a good vet with references, take in pics of what you want your boxer's ears to look like and it needs to be done asap...No later than 12 -14 weeks...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi Brandi and congratulations on our new boy.  Sounds like you have the perfect man in your life as well.  I'm sure you will find lots of answers in the puppy section as Willow said.  On the ear cropping questions, that is pretty much a personal choice and there are people on the site that prefer floppy ears and those that prefer cropped.  There are numerous threads here on both topics.  Again welcome and can't wait to see more pictures of your beautiful new baby.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As others have said, the puppy section is very helpful on here so you should check that out. And cropping is a personal choice as Kate said. Can't wait to see  more pics of your baby!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your puppy is GORGEOUS! I feed Odin twice a day too. Cropping as everyone is stating... is a personal choice... you'll find things that say it's better to crop for reasons 1-4 and it's better not to for reasons 1-4 ... so... it really truly is up to you. I love Odin with his cropped ears but SO many of these boxers here are JUST ADORABLE with their floppy ears and I couldn't see them any other way!!

Good luck with your new baby and POST MORE PICS and LOTS of stories!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have decided to name him Harley... my old boxer was named "big bubba butch".. and harley just seemed to fit.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D

The best thing you can do is read through the puppy section.  Lots of info there on food, toys, etc.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
:) Congratulations on your new baby Harley! He is a cute one! Welcome to Boxer Forums.  :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts