Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Brianna. First time here. I recently got a boxer 8 months old. I am having trouble with training and especially because it keeps peeing in the house. I am hoping to learn more about how to take care of it in the best way i can. Hoping i can be the best parent.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Welcome! Are you crate training him or her. Did you get the dog recently or was he or she a rescue. Might need to start from scratch and take the dog out frequently as if you`re dealing with a puppy.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum and pictures are a must! LOL. I am guessing she/he was turned in to a rescue or shelter and that your just getting the pup at 8 months. Its probably a bit confused but 1st I would take it to a vet to rule out any medical condition, possibly a uti. Then I would go back to step one, potty training a puppy. Crate train, take dog outside on leash to an area and tell it to potty or whatever word you wish you use. Praise it well when it goes bring right back into house. Play with it some, then back to crate. I would take it out every hour, then two-3 hours as you see the dog can hold it. Its a process , when you have it loose in the house with you keep a watchful eye and take it out even more often. LOL If you see it starting to potty in the house say NO strongly, put leash on and take to potty spot in yard, praise praise when he eliminates. Some people even give a treat. Also feed at same time everyday. I would presume a 8 month old is eating 2x a day. Be sure you keep a schedule. You will learn your dogs signals to potty. Be vigilant over the next year. Suddenly you will notice your dog is potty trained, but stay on schedule. Our guy is over 2 now We never trusted him till he was well over a year even though he never had an accident in the house since he was 10 or 12 weeks old. And I think he only had about 3 from the day we got him at 7 weeks,.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crate training is amazing! Also, get them on a scheduled feeding pattern so you can anticipate when they'll need to go.

Our girls (boxer and a retriever) are on like clockwork. First thing in the AM, then breakfast, then right outside and we get instant pee/poop no questions. Then it's periodic throughout the day until supper, where again, right after supper it's potty time.

I grew up with boxers that were free-fed until our girl decided she was going to be a tricky one to train and I found scheduled feedings to be the best guarantee for positive results!

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts