Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just brought a 2nd boxer home - a puppy who is almost 10 weeks old. I have a 9 yr old boxer at home as well, who I got as a rescue when he was 2.

Trying to survive the puppy phase, and get them to like each other right now!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi!

Just brought a 2nd boxer home - a puppy who is almost 10 weeks old. I have a 9 yr old boxer at home as well, who I got as a rescue when he was 2.

Yessssss! Love it. I keep considering a second dog but always change my mind last minute. Keep us posted how you get on.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi!

Welcome and congrats- on both your babies!
I'm sure you know your older boxer as you've been together a good while. We have two 6 year old boxers (liter mates) and a 2.5 year old 'puppy'. Long story short, we expected our boys would be best with a puppy and they were. My alpha brindle, Jax, is dog selective and vocal. My fawn big baby likes other dogs, but is timid by nature. He also had a bad experience w/ another boxer so we are more cautious with him.

They both did well with the puppy. We didn't leave them unsupervised for a few months, but overall they adapted well. Jax had to, and still sometimes has to, correct the puppy with a growl, but overall they have worked out the pack. There's a little 'no' growling from time to time, but never anything physical.

I think as long as you let them both know what is and is not OK in the first few months, you'll have a smooth transition. The good things are that the older dog can help train your younger one. The things to remember are that puppy teeth hurt, teething hurts- and then there's the energy difference. While older boxers may still have a fair amount of energy...it's not near a boxer puppy.

Let us know how it goes and share photos if you can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts