Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just joined the group-I have 2 boxers..Remi & Rebel-I live in Northern Ontario. I am looking for advice about my youngest grinding her teeth-it started last August and has continued. The vet has checked her teeth and says they are beautiful. She has been on Pepcid AC everyday and it still has not helped. The vet also suggested I give her some Sosa crackers at nite and it still is going on when she is getting ready for sleep in the evening. It’s really bad and loud and it worries me as the medicine hasn’t helped and I am turning to this amazing boxer community for help. Has any one had experience or success in diagnosing how to fix this? I worry all the time about her. It doesn’t happen at all during the day. Please any advice would be so appreciated❤

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I just had Zuke's wellness check yesterday and he does something similar when he settles down at night. Its not really grinding it just a quick noise while he is adjusting his mouth to settle down. Asked the vet about it, thoroughly checked his teeth, said his teeth look great, said its nothing to worry about as long as he isn't doing it all day and he is still chewing everything normally. He said the way they adjust their mouths before settling down will sometimes lead to teeth hitting/rubbing into each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks matt74 that sounds like exactly what rebel is doing..I will keep an eye on it but hearing you say that makes me feel a lot better-she does have really dry sides of her lips and maybe that is connected to her grinding/popping sound she makes..I hope it stops though still-thanks for sharing your experience

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Welcome aboard and I've never seen that (teeth grinding) with any of my dogs .. "assorted breeds" and all with strong jaws. But they have always had stuff to gnaw on. The big beef knuckles, work really well for Bella my new Boxer/APBT mix. I tried the knee bones at first as they are a more reasonable size. But she'd break those up into small chards!!

She still tears those apart but they come apart in largish chunks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks matt74 that sounds like exactly what rebel is doing..I will keep an eye on it but hearing you say that makes me feel a lot better-she does have really dry sides of her lips and maybe that is connected to her grinding/popping sound she makes..I hope it stops though still-thanks for sharing your experience
Yup, just keep an eye on it, and if you notice its happening more or she is favoring one side of the mouth when chewing definitely have a vet take another look.

I have seen a couple other people post about dry jowls, luckily Zuke doesn't have that, although he does get a pretty dry nose which is easily taken care of with nose butter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts