Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!   I am joining your forum because I was on another one with some rather opinionated and judgemental people...I am hoping that you are all  a little more accepting!

Here's my story:  We got our baby dog when she was only 8 weeks old.  She had worms.  She came from a "breeder" (term used extremely loosely) who was not really a breeder.  She ended up having both round and tape worms.  She was sick all the time with digestive problems.  We ended up spending approximatly $3000 in the first year of her life to keep her well.  She almost died at 6 months due to some unknown illness.  

I kept posting about these things and eventually people started to think it was something I was doing, which made me feel even worse about the situation.

As a first time puppy owner, to top it off, my house wasn't 100% puppy proof and little Zoe did what every other puppy does: she ate everything in sight.  And after posting that she'd gotten into some chocolate one time, I received a nasty email from a moderator telling me what an irresponsible pet owner I was.  That really hurt.

My dog is so important to me.  I was angry but didn't leave the forum because I didn't think that her nasty judgement needed justification.  however, I am all but ignored on the site now so there isn't a whole lot of point to posting anymore.   :cry:

I want everyone here to know that I would never intentionally put my dog in harms way and had done everything possible to make sure she is happy and healthy.

We are finally healthy again.....at her last visit, the vet said she looks as good as he's ever seen her.  Whatever damage was done by the "breeder" has been undone and I think Zoe can move on to be a healthy and happy Boxer Baby!

So glad to be here....can't wait to meet you all!

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi there! i am glad your little zoe got better.
to me, the only real way to puppy proof your house is to take everything in it out!!!  :D

hope you post some pics soon!
shannon

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to Boxer Forums! Glad you and Zoe could join us.  :)  Feel free to jump right in with opinions and questions....You won't be judged here and no need to walk on eggshells!

·
Registered
316 Posts
WELCOME!!!!
I am so glad you found us!  I have only been a member here myself for the last month.  But so far everyone here is warm and beautiful to know.
I am sorry you had such a bad experience. Both with your dogs illness and the "other" forum.

Feel free to jump in any time on any topic- and don't be afraid to express your thoughts, feelings and opinions.  I was recently reminded what a great group we have here on another thread that I was afraid was going to get heated but never did.  I am proud to be part of such a loving group of dog parents.

Please post pics.  We are adicted to pics of each others dogs!!!
I mean who wouldn't be-  they are such beautiful animals!!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Welcome...

Someone who spent 3000 in the first year of the dogs life does not sound like someone who does not care about their dog...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Welcome to the forum... I'm fairly new myself and just love it. My husband and I visited many forums on boxers and there was one that we came across that we were just in awe. I wanted to leave them a msg to state how cruel and one sided they were being to one of their members but I had to be a member to do so... and you weren't allowed to type in caps because it was considered shouting...?

No matter where you came from... this forum is amazing level and everyone is very nice. Again, WELCOME!!!!!  :wink:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Sorry for the bad experience, luckily the people here are OUTSTANDING! we all have our soapboxes, but we arent judgemental or rude in any way.I am glad that you decided to join the forum. Please feel free to jump in and ask anything. be sure to post pictures. We are addicts here especially with babies~  :lol: accidents happen and we all know this. Anywho-welcome and looking forward to getting to know you and hearing all the wonderful stories of your puppy!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hello, I haven't been part of this forum very long but everyone has been really friendly, helpful & funny. Welcome :D .
Accidents happen - we don't live in a perfect world, people shouldn't judge. Voltaire's my first dog and i'm still learning everyday. I'll tell you a story about when he was a pup. We have a big pond in the garden - Voltaire never went near the water. One day it froze over and snowed over the top of the ice. My husband was in the garden with Voltaire & turned his back long enough for him to walk into the middle of the pond (thinking it was solid ground) and the ice to break. I heard him yelping from indoors and ran into the garden barefoot in the snow only to see him hanging onto the broken ice with his front paws and my husband wading through the ice fully clothed up to his waist in water. I was so frightened i just can't describe it. He caught Voltaire, passed him to me and i rushed him inside beside the fire and rubbed him dry with towels. Five minutes later he was wagging his little tail and wanting to play - all forgotten. My husband was in a much more pitiful state :lol: ! Just to say i still feel awful and guilty that i didn't know better, i love my dog, i do my best, but accidents can and will happen. For fifty accidents avoided, one will get through. I was lucky on that day because i really could have lost him.

·
Registered
905 Posts
As Shannon mentioned, it is next to impossible to completely puppy-proof your house and garden - all you can do is be as vigilant as possible.  In Tink's 11 months she has managed to find and ingest the following: the Tinkerbell charm off her collar (approximately 6.2 seconds after I put in on), a pair of rubber gloves, the cork from a bottle of wine, a full packet of cotton wool, at least 3 rolls of toilet paper, about a dozen clothes pegs and innumerable small sticks and stones.

Reading back on that, I probably sound like the world's worst pet owner!  But it consistly amazes me just how quickly she can swallow something!  Most of the pegs were eaten right in front of my very eyes - by the time I actually caught her to take them off her, they were gone!  I'm convinced she has a secret stash of them somewhere, because I haven't dropped a peg in months but I still keep finding chewed-up bits of them everywhere!

·
Registered
109 Posts
welcome. you can never puppy proof your home all the way. mine loves to tear up toilet paper,shoes,papertowels . i own 2 grown boxers ,1 puppy boxer and a pomananian.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Oh yes...paper towels....!! A boxer with a paper towel is like a dishonest business man with a paper shredder - every little bit must be reduced to the smallest possible size! And talking of destruction it's the start of the gardening season and i'm wondering how many of my plantations are going to resist the dreaded 'dig out & chew up' this year. Dahlia bulbs seemed to be the favourite last year - he couldn't get them back out of the ground fast enough.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm actually considering renting Tink out as a mobile document shredder.  With all the concerns about idenity theft out there I reckon I'd make a fortune.  She can destroy any piece of paper in seconds flat...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Your head will spin if i told you all the stories about Maggie and what shes gotten herself into...

Jessie is a lot calmer then her, so its just a random paper towel, or napkin.  We used to live in an apartment building, and when we would get a menu slipped under the door, we would come home to find it in pieces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm new to this forum too!!!  So glad to here that Zoe is back to her adorable puppy tacktics!!!  I too got my boxer from a breeder and have spent over $2000 dollars on vet bills after the fact.  But every cent was worth it!!  She is truly one of the main reasons why I get up in the morning, to see her cute little face!!!  And I'm sure you feel the same way about your precious puppy!! Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all!  Its nice to be *wanted*!  I might not be around a whole lot as I am prenant and expecting in Aug.....a new baby really cuts down on internet time!  But I am glad I found you all and have a place to come and share my stories and pics.  

:lol:  I laughed outloud when I read about shredding paper towel....

Here are some pictures of a certain saturday....

I came down the stairs to this.....and knew something was up....

And this is what I found.   8O  :lol:

An entire roll.  :lol:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
LMAO at those pics!!!!!!! WELCOME by the way!!! lol We are such a loving group of people!! The very first forum I was on and "garduated" from...........I know many of us on here know exactly which one Im talking about :wink: .......anyways they kicked me off for asking people to be Roxys friend on that Dogster site hahaha I guess I broke rule # 3669870978746983689777779670882349876!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :roll:  Anyways your obviously not a bad boxer mum lol Ive had many many things go wrong with Roxy by that I mean things swallowed, ect ect. Voltaires post brings back some nasty memories when Roxy(not even a year old yet) ran onto the pond(half frozen) and fell through! My heart sank and I started screaming!!!!! I wasnt sure of what to do because I was the only one there and she was in the middle of the pond. I yelled for hubby to help me(blood curdling screams) he didnt hear me but the neighbors came out and just looked lol What help they were!! Anyways she started to go down......I really thought I lost her at this point so I jumped in was breaking my way through the ice the whole time watching her tire and start to bob! Well I got to her and pulled her back to shore with me, walked up to the house to a baffled husband! I ran her into the bathroom and started putting warm water on her to bring her temp up! Her body was lifeless for about a minute. She finally came too and I just broke down crying! Ever since then she goes on leash during the winter months until the lakes are completely thawed!

Sorry this was long I just wanted to tell yall my terrible tragic story
CONGRATS on the little bundle too. When in Aug. are you due? My daughter was born Aug 6th 04!! I know where your coming from with the no time for the computer lol I just had my little boy 5 weeks ago! :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome!  This is a good place to be.  There are people here with a wealth of info and are not judgemental.  I, too, have been in your shoes on another site.  Glad you made it here.  I also have a boxer-disposal.  My youngest eats anything and everything.  He's not picky and has a cast-iron stomach (he attacked our flashlight broke it open and ate the batteries  :oops: )  He is quicker than lightning and if you drop something you better be moving at the speed of light to get it back or it's in his mouth :lol:

Anyway, welcome aboard and get posting!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts