Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !

I am glad to have found this forum .. I am looking forward to reading posts, getting insight, experiences and probably some guidance ;)

We are a small family of three .. myself and two teenage sons.   We have one dog already - a 7 year old lhasa mix named Bailey - 1 bird and 2 guinea pigs.   We have recently been going back and forth with a breeder for a boxer puppy and are meeting her in two weeks to discuss the possibility of getting one of her pups.

My initial question would be if I am doing the right thing introducing a new pup to Bailey ?   I guess I kinda feel like I did when I found out I was pregnant with my second son LOL !!!  You know, will she adapt well, will I love them both equally .. ;)

In 2006 I had a motorcycle accident.  As such, I have lost almost 80% mobility in my left foot (broke the talus bone) and need to get out often to exercise my ankle.  My little Bailey has back knee problems so her walks are limited.  I have no qualms about exercising a boxer because I need to give myself a daily dose of physical therapy at home also .. and the mix of the two of us getting out for daily exercise will be a perfect match.  I also have a closed in backyard and live near a beautiful park.  

I will ask other questions as I go along in this forum .. right now I just need to know people's opinions on the introducing of a new puppy in the household .. and this before we go have our hearts taken by boxer puppies in two weeks :)

Many thanks for reading my post .. and I look forward to "reading" everyone else on the forum !!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would say with bring any addition (dog) into the family is how is your other dog?  Is he/she dog friendly?   had any issues with any other dogs?   If your current dog is dog friendly then IMO it really should not be a problem if he/she is socialized.   However when you get your new addtion, its best to give equal attention to both dogs so that the older one does not feel left out.  

Two dogs can be great.  They can play with each other and be company.   Just have to have the right combo of the two to make it work:)

Welcome to the forum, check out the puppy section for tons of useful information and ask anything:)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hello and Welcome! boxers are very energetic animals!! that is why sadly many end up in shelters b/c some people just arent ready for the dog they get. Please dont take it as me saying you arent. I feel that with the exercise and walks a boxer would fit in great! just make sure you dont do too many walks as a puppy. general rule is 5 min per month of age. Hope things work out and you get a baby boxer of your own!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses !

Bailey is great with other dogs.   She loves everyone .. from cats .. dogs .. and even tries to feed the guinea pigs HER little carrot in the morning.

As for the walks - it would be at night when I get home - and thanks for the 5 mins per month tip.   In the morning she would have the back yard with Bailey - and when Bailey was a puppy, I would come home at lunch time to let her out - so I intend to do the same thing (I work 15 mins from home).

I am used to big dogs .. rottweilers, dobermans, etc .. and even boxers.  So that part does not have me concerned.   The mix of a new puppy and Bailey is what I am a little worried about ... but Bailey is a great dog .. a true sweetie.   Although I have seen her snub a dobbie puppy once last summer.  LOL !!  She actually sat down and turned her back to him.  When he left her alone, she came to again.   She has zero aggressive behavior with other animals .. or humans.

I have been looking at the puppies here .. soooooooooooo cute !!   And they grow up to be such beautiful dogs !!  Stunning & gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just take the introduction of the new puppy slowly.  This is another issue I have seen when looking for my third boxer, is that people bring home a new dog and try to introduce them to fast and they tend to fight each other and then the new dog gets sent to a shelter or pound.  So take your time and things should work out.  Plenty of exercise is needed for boxers so the walks and a fenced in backyard to play in is great.  Get alot of toys to play catch with outside in your yard.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum....the best way to introduce two dogs to each other would be to first walk them together, and then once they have drained some of there energy I would let your older dog sniff the new puppy first and then permit the puppy to sniff your older dog...this introduction should be made in your backyard or anywhere but inside the house...then once they have both sniffed each other out and are calm you can bring them in the house and see how this goes....but for sure walk them together first before any contact between them is made...hope this helps :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I think that others have given some great advice already so I really don't have anything to add except welcome to the forum.  The main thing you have to know about this forum is that we love pictures.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I agree great advice said already... though not sure how easy it's going to be walking an 8 wk old puppy on a leash... hopefully it will come together nicely. Welcome to the forum... and yes like Barb said... WE LOVE PICTURES!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats and kudos for doing research on Boxers first...As you have some knowledge of them you know they are clowns, snugglers and yes, high energy..Bailey sounds like a well adjusted dog, so that will help with your new pup..Always supervise them at first..Watch for toy & food aggressions as well, they do sometimes crop up...Definitely read thru the puppy section for some great information, also there are a couple Sticky topics in the Breeding section about what to look for in a breeder that you might find helpful..Ask a ton of questions & be prepared to get asked just as many...Good luck and we would love to see pics of your chosen pup  :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts