Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ryleigh gets hiccups a LOT throughout the day, I'd say about 3-5 times a day ever since I got her. She gets them after eating, during play or even sleeping!

I tried reading up about it on google, but one site says it is good because it happens in the mothers womb to excercise the diaphram (never heard of that) and it means that a growth spurt is coming...and then another site says its really bad because it will cause really bad bloat, which may cause death. It's just one extreme to the other...and not sure which is true?
So, I have resorted to asking you boxer pros... do your pups have hiccups? Is this normal and is it okay? Or should I be cautious...  

Any suggestions would be great! :)

Also, an update...
Day 3 is going really well. She seems to be developing her very playful personality...she was going nuts today while we were outside planting. That lead her to her new obsession of plant pots and plastic bags! I tell ya, the cheapest toy always seem to be the funnest! Go figure eh? We all go spend $100's on toys for them and they like to play with the garbage thats free  :wink: As long as shes enjoying herself haha!!

I took her over to the barn today to meet my horses, and she was blown away! Never seen something so BIG! lol. I didn't bring my camera so I will get pictures sometime of them together. It was so funny when my gelding snorted in her face and her ears flew right back and she had a very shocked look on her face!! I wish I had THAT as a picture! She won't be out there much until she get's bigger. I am nervous of her accidently being stepped on which can so easily happen.

Anyway, here are some pictures as someone requested in my other post....

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm no help with the hiccups... Sorry.

I just wanted to say how absolutely adorable Ryleigh is!!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oh..she is SO sweet!! Are you going to crop her now that you have seen how it made Flicks face change?? Regardless..she is such a sweetheart!
The hick-up issue..nothing to worry over..Ashley at 6 months gets them on occasion still, and when she was Ryleigh's age..OMG...it was ALL the time. I did ask the Vet..he said nothing to worry about..I wonder if they do this as they grow because of the size of the lungs they must have in those big old chests of theirs....maybe a growth thing to get to the massive size chest they end up with??
I would guess your going to be taking that baby soon to your vet, so ask..or maybe Sharon can share some of her awsome info on here to sooth your worries!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yea, lots of hiccups here :) Sometimes, yes eating too fast will cause them, but it's definitely a puppy thing...Angel sometimes will have these cute little lady like hiccups, but Flick's, his whole body shakes... :) The pics are adorable! I love that first one, and the one where she is eyeing the ball, oh that's a framer for sure..Oh wait, the one where it looks like she's airborn, omg, I love that one :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay good! I am glad it's a normal thing. Makes me feel better now!

And yes, her next vet appointment is June 17th....I will mention it to her when we go :).

AshleysMom, I wasn't planning on getting her ears done... but I don't know I may change my mind. Flick does look darn cute with his ears done...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rowdy gets them all the time, and his birthdate is March 22. I asked the vet, and he said they are perfectly normal. It's funny to watch Rowdy because his whole body shakes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, hiccups just mean she's growing fast.  Blaize got them all the time when he was really little & still gets them from time to time.  By the way, she looks alot like Blaize! LOL!

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Does anybody else think Ryleigh looks like a certain Flickmeister?? She is just adorable. I need some puppy time...anyone?

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Zulu hiccuped all the time when he was a baby, i think as the others said, its normal for her age.  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
samsonsaunt\";p=\"128856 said:
Does anybody else think Ryleigh looks like a certain Flickmeister?? She is just adorable. I need some puppy time...anyone?
Yup, noticed that right away...Take away that little white blaze and they are clones :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wow - such a beautiful little girl! What a face... I just want to smoooosh her! :yes:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
She is sooo cute, just love the flying picture.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
She is a cutie and the pics are great!!!!!!!!!  Hiccups are pretty normal with young pups and I have never seen a dog die from hiccups or complications of hiccups.....I also dont think it is a "sign of growth" I think that is more of an old wives tale :)  They just hiccup and normally grow out of it pretty fast too :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Awww....she is beauty. Looks like you got your answer.

Just wanted to say we have that same pink ball and it's the most annoying thing I have ever purchased for Harleigh. But she loves it so I don't want to throw it away. She will squeek it while half asleep. Sometimes I think it's like her pacifier.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm quite sure the hiccups are normal & nothing to worry about. :)

She's such a precious little thing - love her! That face... ughh... :love:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hiccups are normal. Duke used to get them all the time as a small pup. He still gets them from time to time.

Great looking pup. Looks like it's going to be big.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts