Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use the Nutri-Cal high calorie supplement to help my dog gain weight? He is 7 months and weighs 60 pounds but you can still see vague outlines of his ribs when he walks. or would it not make any difference using this...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You *want* to see vague outlines of the ribs; Boxers are a lean breed, adult weight is 65-70 lbs. for a male so 60 lbs. at 7 months is not at all on the small side.  As long as you don't see hips and spine, he's at a good weight.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that 60 pounds at 7 months is a good size and a big pup :) and to answer the question....Nutri-Cal is a high calorie dietary supplement used to provide supplemental caloric and nutritional intake in dogs and cats that wont eat. It would not be my first choice to use to try and bulk a dog up...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
ya that is a big pup...I don't know why you'd wanna make him bigger at this age! Boxers are lean dogs. I often thought
that my baby was too skinny too but it's normal...he'll bulk up closer to 2 years of age.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't supplement with extra calories to just put on weight...what food are you feeding now?? I like to add missing link plus which has essential fatty acids (omega  3s) and other nutrients for their skin and it also has glucosamine which is a good supplement for a boxer as they are prone to hip problems...the glucosamine keeps their joints lubricated and helps them stay strong and youthful (for lack of better words).  Since Eli has been on it his fur has been softer and shinier...Ava has been on this since she was a puppy and she is very soft as well.  

The missing link you just sprinkle on over their food. You can get a 5lb bag for about $60 and it last at LEAST six months or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts