Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vet suggested feeding Attila a high protein food to help him gain weight and build muscle back up.  Is this true?  I am at the point where I dont trust any vet within 45miles of our house.  

If i have to feed him a seperate food that will help him get past the 38lbs and regain stamina and muscle mass let me know of a good brand.  I will then go and purchase or order and try it.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have always heard no high protein foods before 18 mos and better at 2 years; not sure what short term effect of high protein would be to gain weight.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no clue.... this is what they said and I dont trust them more than I can throw them...and I cant even pick them up to try and throw them.... lol

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Maybe rather than going that way, try adding like a "protein snack" into Attila's diet...Cottage cheese, yogurt & PB with banana...I'm with Barb, I don't think higher protein is the answer, esp at his age...Also if he has a quick metabolism it will be harder to put on weight anyways

G

·
0 Posts
I would go with PB sandwich, yogurt, cottage cheese, and other higher protein treats/snacks.  Poor Attila, he's such a handsome little guy.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep I agree added protein from other sources PB, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese...But not a higher food protein since the one your are feeding is already on the high end!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
yup i totally agree 100%..

Isis is 84 pounds now but she was 17 pounds at 4 yrs old when she came home !!! emaciated !!

we used cottage cheese, yogurt,peanut butter sandwichs on grain breads,and oatmeal...fed small meals often...

from the fitness trainer aspect of things( people but dogs systems are sorta the same in some ways)...a short term high protein food thats the only food source or primary would not put on quality weight...not fast ...you have to have a balance of the proteins with other things...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would ax the high protein food.  keep that stable yet supplement him with an extra meal of something like PB, Cottage Cheese, Eggs, or even make some Satain Balls.

A doggie Meatloaf too can be a great third meal.   Trust me, feeding a skinny dogs is much easier than to get weight off a dog!!   PM me if you need any recipes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts