Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed over the last few weeks that Felix doesn't put all his weight in one back leg after a good romp at the dog park.  At first I thought he may have just pulled a muscle or strained something so I gave him about 2 weeks without going to the dog park.  Still though- it has come back.  He never seems to be in pain while playing only after he has rested for a few minutes after leaving.

We went to the pet store straight after the dog park today, and he was really favoring one leg, and went to put his front feet on the counter like usual for a treat, but sat instead.  I could tell he was going to jump up but it must have hurt so he just sat.

help! Does anyone here have a dog with HD? He is 9 months old.  Could it be anything else over this span of time?  Its been about a month since I first noticed it.
I have read the sticky on here, but would also love to hear person experiences.

Poor guy, he fractured his scapula when he was 4 months, and now he could have this... I really hope it is something else!
Thanks everyone :(

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There is a Sticky topic that is a great tutorial about Hip Dysplasia in the Health section, check it out

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
My last boxer Buster was diagnosed at 9 months with hip and knee dysplasia. His was managed throughout the rest of his life with supplements and thank goodness never needed surgery. It could be a variety of reasons why Felix is favoring a leg. If you have noticed this for the past month, I would bring him in for an exam. Your vet may be able to feel something that isn't quite right, or may need some X-rays to figure out what is going on with Felix. It may be as simple as a pulled muscle, but if it hasn't gotten any better, I would want to find out what is ailing him.
After Buster was diagnosed, I rotated Glyco Flex III with SynoviG3 formula supplements and he did wonderful on those for 6 years.
I hope it is nothing serious with Felix. Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks tootsie,
I had read the sticky, but was looking for some personal experiences like that.
I know I need to take him to the vet now, the fact that he didn't want to stand on his back legs is worrying me. :/
It is good to know that they don't all need surgery too.  Was it because he was diagnosed young, or just a less severe case?
thanks again guys! I'm not too fond of my current vet and had hoped to find a new one by now.. I just want to learn as much as I can about what it could be before going in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there,

My four year old female boxer was exhibiting some signs of no longer wanting to jump. I took her to the vet and he did a physical on her and everything was fine except now he is testing her for pancreatitis. He said there were certain levels of her enzymes that were elevated so he is checking just to make sure. I think Maddie may have pulled a muscle on the ice since we got Miller she seems to be doing fine now.

Good Luck and let me know how everything goes at the vet;)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="g00dgirl\";p=\"63399":232859ah]It is good to know that they don't all need surgery too.

G

·
0 Posts
Poor felix...i can't imagine being a boxer and not wanting to jump up...I hope it isn't hip displaysia, last thing a boxer pup needs...fingers and paws crossed for felix over here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts